Interesting that there’s not much discussion of Ed Sheeran

Homersexual

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

same sentiment as this - I didn't see Killers and wasn't big on biffy clyro but a lot of bands this year expressed how you should play a festival, Ed just isn't that caliber

He's definitely a headliner, but not one i'd voluntarily see 

This is a good point.  I have watched a bit of Ed on iPlayer as I didn't go to see him and I think that in part it is the delivery.  Some bands this year at Glasto performed as if their lives depended on it, as if it was their first and last Glasto ever and they were going to make it count or as if they were on a performance based payment contract. Ed looked the same as if he was playing to a few friends around a camp fire or in the local pub/cafe on a Sunday lunchtime.  Nothing wrong with this, but its not Pyramid Sunday Headlining stuff.

Watch the Killers, Frank Carter, Foo's, even The Kaiser Chiefs.  They hit the bar high from the beginning and made their time count.  I know not everyone will do this, but for Ed, this could be a watershed moment to connect and leave a lasting memory.  I suppose you could say he just let the songs speak for themselves.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Voucher Boy said:

This is the most insane thing I've ever read on these forums. 

The fact someone has written this implies the world has gone mad. 

You didn't understand it, then.

The fact that he creates multiple loops of guitar, percussion and vocals to act as his own backing band is a way less common or garden approach to music making than the standard guitar, bass and drums set up deployed by Foo.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You didn't understand it, then.

The fact that he creates multiple loops of guitar, percussion and vocals to act as his own backing band is a way less common or garden approach to music making than the standard guitar, bass and drums set up deployed by Foo.

Sorry, but this is what thousands of people do in their bedrooms everyday on iPhone/pad apps and computer apps.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Then why aren't there thousands of these acts out there?

Not my thing but there's no denying he's bloody good at what he does.

They are in pubs, cafe's and quite a few popping up in BBC intro each year.  I also have a theory that the market can only manage a few artists like this at a time before they go the way of James Blunt.

But, I agree with you, he is bloody good at what he does, not my thing either.

1 minute ago, Pandas said:

They are in pubs, cafe's and quite a few popping up in BBC intro each year.  I also have a theory that the market can only manage a few artists like this at a time before they go the way of James Blunt.

But, I agree with you, he is bloody good at what he does, not my thing either.

It amazes me just how massive he is considering he's just a guy with an acoustic guitar and a few loop pedals. He's bloody huge!!! That field was packed, the atmosphere was great and everyone there was bang into it. This why I don't get people earlier in the thread moaning about him not being energetic or getting people moving. I can assure you that the entire field was bouncing all the way through, in the eyes of most people there he certainly put on a headline show.

I was there for the whole set, half way up the hill with my 3 kids age 11, 12 & 13, nearly 14. They are still developing their musical tastes & I spent most of the festival taking them to see the bands they wanted to see whether my taste or not. They loved Ed's set. At least he writes, performs does it all himself unlike loads of manufactured groups/singer who are puppets for their labels which is what most kids are exposed to. Ed in his early days wasn't seen as alternative for many of the girls my daughter age. My son was a bit disappointed by the lack of fire, paper twizzly bits as he calls them, guests & a grand finale. He kept looking enviously at the fire coming out of The Other Stage. He could of brought on a guest or 2 to make the set a bit diverse. Whether this forum agrees or not is Glastonbury wants to stay relevant to anybody under 25 it needs to invite Headliners such as Ed. I didn't even think of taking my gang to Radiohead - would have been asleep or wailing a few numbers in. 

Plus we were next to s big mixed gang of 20's who danced and danced all the way through having a fab night. It was a really good atmosphere where we were.....

Edited by Nia Wagenaar

1 minute ago, battleborn said:

Let's be honest to those of you who actually managed to get to go what was the first question your colleagues asked on Monday morning? High chance it was "So did you see Sheeran?"

Debate his music all you like, he's massive and deserved his headliner slot. Even if he didn't do as much as he could have with it, it looked good on telly at least.

Yep, your right.  Last year the question was "did you see Adele". Which we replied, no, went to see M83, the best gig of the weekend.  You can guess the reply..... "who are they".

1 hour ago, Pandas said:

Some bands this year at Glasto performed as if their lives depended on it, as if it was their first and last Glasto ever and they were going to make it count or as if they were on a performance based payment contract. 

So the other acts I saw were

The Pretenders, Paul Carrack, BLossoms, First Aid Kit, Royal Blood, George Ezra, Lorde, The XX, Radiohead,  Bootleg beatles, Jools Holland, Craig David, Kaiser Chiefs, Liam Gallagher, The National, Foo Fighters, Slaves, Earls, Beoga, Rag n Bone man, The killers and Biffy Clyro

Only disappointments were;

Radiohead - not a fan but gave it a shot. It's not for me

Rag n Bone man  - bad spot so sound was not very good. Not his fault really

Several looked like it was the gig of their life

I've a theory that Ed is a tight wad.

I've heard some proper full band live versions of some of his tunes, and think the band would've ,not only given that extra energy, but helped everything sound more like the original versions.

I didn't go to see Ed btw, as i don't want to encourage him.

3 minutes ago, brandycoke said:

I've a theory that Ed is a tight wad.

I've heard some proper full band live versions of some of his tunes, and think the band would've ,not only given that extra energy, but helped everything sound more like the original versions.

I didn't go to see Ed btw, as i don't want to encourage him.

If he was only getting 10% of his usual fee I can see why he's had to cut back. We should have all chipped in at the end to get him a few ciders from the bus.

5 hours ago, Deadendfriends8 said:

Why don't you ask Katy Perry? One of the biggest artists around at the moment?

Not entirely true.. her new album limped in at No.6, Ed's is fighting for top spot (and has been regardless of Glastonbury in recent weeks) many months down the line. He's massively more popular than her, or Biffy (both of whom I agree could headline most festivals, just not above Sheeran).

Anyway, I was in the pit with friends who are also fans and I thought he smashed it. Couple of setlist blunders, but in terms of what he gave to it, can't fault it. I do get though that it is easy to make anything seem amazing if you're down at the front getting involved. Case in point, I've seen Major Lazer from the side and thought they were dull as dishwater, saw them this time many vodkas down and right down the front, it was a massive party!

As someone who has always really liked Ed Sheeran since 2011 (havent seen him live since 2011 and i thought he was amazing live back then), his glasto set really felt like it was lacking something, it wasnt a bad set by any means but on the night it just all felt a bit forgettable

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

If he was only getting 10% of his usual fee I can see why he's had to cut back. We should have all chipped in at the end to get him a few ciders from the bus.

Didn't know he was on 10%.

So even at 100k for Glastonbury, means he's on 1 million for his normal gig !

I wasn't there and watched it on tv, thought I'd last 5-10 mind and switch over but found myself watching the the whole set and really quite enjoying it, would I have watched him if I'd been fortunate to get a ticket? No chance! Would have been a justice

he's good at what he does and everyone seemed to be into it so fair play to him, he's very good at what he does.

58 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

There was a post last week saying that Glasto only pay around 10% of any of the bands usual fees. 

Yes, I think this is about right from everything I have read.  Which is why I made the comment about Arcade Fire receiving the lowest fee per head!  That's why one of the questions to become a Canadian citizen is "Are you or have you ever been a member of Arcade Fire", answer yes and you are in!

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

There was a post last week saying that Glasto only pay around 10% of any of the bands usual fees. 

I doubt it's that set in stone. Ed and Radiohead are both friends of the festival and likely did it for a very low fee. In a normal year I would say the Foos were likely the highest paid headliner from that group, but then I don't know if they'd have arranged a reduced rate because of having to drop out a couple of years ago. Doubt it though.

1 hour ago, brandycoke said:

Didn't know he was on 10%.

So even at 100k for Glastonbury, means he's on 1 million for his normal gig !

£60 ticket x 80,000 = £4.8m

Take off the usual stuff like stadium hire, agent and management fees, tax (if he pays it!!) crew, staff, PR and so forth and he'd be looking at walking away with around 1.5-2 million a night off his big shows. Current artists like that can afford to take the hit off at Glasto fee as they know announcing a huge stadium tour off the back of it with a ticket that is £5 more expensive will make up the loss and then some after 1 night.

We watched biffy then went off for a drink and heard Dj luck and Mc neat at pussy parlure and stayed at that then headed towards the unfairground stopped of at some bar had a shot of jagermeister and decided to check out the rest of se corner and then finished the night off at arcadia.. i'm glad we did as it was the best night we had as it was not busy..

I watched from nearer the back of the Pyramid field rather than my usual spot by the mixing desk- apart from not being able to see a very small Ed Sheehan ( due to flag obscura) it was an ok set. Everyone around me, particularly the younger kids were enjoying it, and one guy asked his girlfriend to marry him in the middle of one of the slow songs to much cheering! 

I don't know many artists who could hold an entire massive headliner audience with just a guitar and loop pedal. I made a quick getaway during the last song to make sure I could get out the car park but the field was rammed with people standing right up on all the paths. 

It wasn't a classic pyramid performance but was a good one. 

What struck me this year was the way the stages had been planned to cater for all tastes,genres and ages- their are a lot of young people and families who may not have been dying to see Justice, Alt-j etc. Ed fitted the more generic category and was definitely headliner worthy.