Interesting that there’s not much discussion of Ed Sheeran

Homersexual

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I dunno why the folk who wanted raucous, raunchy rock'n'roll with whizz bang visuals and an audience going bananas to finish the festival with are worried about Ed as I presume they were all at Justice.

I wasn't at justice but I suppose it's just personal preference... I just thought it an odd end of festival act 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

I agreed with Waterfall... as much as he is so popular to the extreme doesn't make him the right choice for closing act of the festival... a bit of audience participation, something more visual as one bloke on a stage no matter how good is not visually interesting and no raucous power... 

From comments as I didn't see him a lot of people  feel let down at the end of the act ...nothing to go Wow over 

The arguments against him are basically "I don't like him, therefore he's not headliner worthy", same as Adele last year.

Whether people on here like him or not he's the biggest pop star on the planet right now. He was a perfectly worthy headliner, he packed out the field and put on a show that, from what I could tell, most people there loved.

I watched the last bit of his set, my wife and daughter had watched it all.

He's earned his headline spot and did as well as could be expected. In a few years I think the fact that he headlined may appear bemusing, but as of right now, its the right thing. See also Mumfords etc etc.

I dont really get him but clearly many do, for whatever reason, so good luck them them all. That said, it was a proper damp squib of an ending, I thought.

I'ma fan of Ed. Seen him a couple of times.

What I saw on Sunday was really dissapointing. To go from The Killers to Biffy to that...was such a flat atmosphere!

He definitely didn't rise to the occasion and blow away his critics.

Oh well... still an incredible weekend.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

The arguments against him are basically "I don't like him, therefore he's not headliner worthy", same as Adele last year.

Whether people on here like him or not he's the biggest pop star on the planet right now. He was a perfectly worthy headliner, he packed out the field and put on a show that, from what I could tell, most people there loved.

Headliner  OK with that but last act of the festival ?I am absolutely missing something and possibly have to accept my personal tastes weren't taken care of ...not Glastonbury's fault but glad so many were very pleased with him 

8 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

Headliner  OK with that but last act of the festival ?I am absolutely missing something and possibly have to accept my personal tastes weren't taken care of ...not Glastonbury's fault but glad so many were very pleased with him 

When should he have played?

Radiohead were the now traditional Friday night indie choice, Foos were the Saturday night party band, Ed was there to cater to the more casual radio-friendly Sunday crowd.

Edited by Hugh Jass

I am not a fan of Ed but can certainly see his appeal, and he certainly was worthy of his headline slot as one of the biggest acts in the world right now - which is true, regardless if you like him or not.  

I'm not sure what people expect the lad to do to 'jazz up' his performances. His thing is him with a guitar singing his songs. He can hardly drop his guitar and run round the stage can he? And backing dancers/guest performers are just too cheesy - he doesn't seem interested that sort of thing.

He's got where he now, on the back of being himself and singing his songs, which many millions worldwide seem to thoroughly enjoy - regardless of how 'entertaining' he is. There is actually something nice about him feeling that he doesn't have to change who he is in order to 'put on a show' for the public.

For many people entertainment is simply taken from being in the crowd watching him sing his songs. I do feel the criticism is massively unjust - his tour (that will sell out in minutes) will show his huge appeal. 

It came across to me (on TV) incredibly dull - but I'm not a fan and wasn't expecting him to win me over. However Mrs St Dan loved it, as did those in the crowd by the looks of it - all of whom will be fans .. funny that! 

Edited by st dan

15 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

I think you're putting too much emphasis on the fact that he was the last act on.  That's usually - although not always - the most mainstream act so as to cater to the local folk with day tickets.

He's dull ... uncontroversial ... good placement for the Sunday ticket holders ... deserved probably in terms of popularity at the moment ... not really much to discuss ... as there wasn't in the thread before the festival ... not for me though ... I need a party to end my festival not somewhere to nod off 

I only saw the set from Thinking Out Loud onwards, I was at Justice and they were good, the sound wasn't that great on the stage further back, I've also seen Justice before so didn't feel like I had to stick around for that one as much as I like their tunes.

Ed was better than I thought, the loop pedal thing was making some awful noises over the soundsystem, there was a crackling where his vocal was coming through patchy as well.

I personally was surprised by how he was filling that stage with out, his energy was good, the songs weren't doing that much for me really.

I left right on the button and then had a great time in the Temple for two hours to end my festival the right way.

He certainly seemed a lot more livelier and exciting than what I saw of Radiohead on the Friday night, yet no one is moaning about a them headlining. They were three very different headliners, and that's a good thing.

I wouldn't pay to go and see him, but really don't understand where the dislike of him comes from. He's worked hard to get where he is, writes his own songs and seems likes a decent chap. 

1 hour ago, not worthy said:

If you like Ed, then try Funke and the two tone baby......a better version of Ed

If you don't like Ed, then try Funke and the two tone baby

Are you saying Ed's not enough bonobo, too much chimpanzee?

There's a lot of hate for him out there but when something is shoved down your throat as much as Ed has been shoved down our throats in the UK and Ireland over the last few months it breeds contempt. I was at Justice but some of my crew went to see him and they said he was ok. Looked like he was about to shart himself during the first few tunes but did ok in the end. It sounds to me like his headline performance was a bit like his music. Bland and uninspiring. I give him props for having the stones to get up on that stage totally on his own though.

Not doubting his insane popularity and worthiness of being there but I think a lot of people go and see main stage headliners just 'because'. I had never missed a main stage headliner at any festival until I came to Glastonbury and that changed it all for me. I occasionally see some acts over others just 'because' I'd never get the chance to see them again (Jacksons) but I've watched a little of Ed on TV since back and it just seemed a bit boring. 

1 hour ago, duke88 said:

He certainly seemed a lot more livelier and exciting than what I saw of Radiohead on the Friday night, yet no one is moaning about a them headlining. They were three very different headliners, and that's a good thing.

I wouldn't pay to go and see him, but really don't understand where the dislike of him comes from. He's worked hard to get where he is, writes his own songs and seems likes a decent chap. 

I thought Radiohead were great, but there are lots of people on this forum saying that they were boring. Radiohead's issue was that with 9 studio albums, they did not choose a set full of hits and that polarised a lot of people.  I would say that they have had a lot of negative feedback.  I suppose you can't keep everyone happy all of the time.

4 minutes ago, Pandas said:

I thought Radiohead were great, but there are lots of people on this forum saying that they were boring. Radiohead's issue was that with 9 studio albums, they did not choose a set full of hits and that polarised a lot of people.  I would say that they have had a lot of negative feedback.  I suppose you can't keep everyone happy all of the time.

A lot of people left Radiohead. There weren't many who left Edward. 

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

A lot of people left Radiohead. There weren't many who left Edward. 

Doesn't surprise me, like I said, I thought they were great, but lots of people did't know what was going on and what the fuss was about.  Thom Yorke was never going to put together something popular.

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Foo Fighters and Radiohead don't have much in the way of pizzazz either, if we're at it. Granted the former have some energy, but they're still a basic meat and potatoes proposition.  If anything, Sheeran's more formally inventive than they are.

This is the most insane thing I've ever read on these forums. 

The fact someone has written this implies the world has gone mad. 

Thought he was a fine way to finish off the festival and done a good job. Wasn't the show Coldplay put on but was better than Mumford and sons closing for me. I was just in front of the sound stages and everyone seemed to be enjoying it immensely. Bit of musical snobbery on the go it seems. The guy is obviously a huge booking going by his worldwide popularity

I honestly think that Ed on Friday, Radiohead Saturday and FF Sunday would have worked better

I enjoyed Ed but it fell a bit flat as I'd seen Royal Blood, The Killers, Biffy Clyro & Foo Fighters in the previous 24ish hours. It was good but it just didn't come out as one of my top picks for the weekend

When i saw him at t in the park I thought he was really decent

However, I saw 4 songs of his because my flatmate was interested - this time around it just bored me... I did try to enjoy it

11 minutes ago, Heather90 said:

I enjoyed Ed but it fell a bit flat as I'd seen Royal Blood, The Killers, Biffy Clyro & Foo Fighters in the previous 24ish hours. It was good but it just didn't come out as one of my top picks for the weekend

same sentiment as this - I didn't see Killers and wasn't big on biffy clyro but a lot of bands this year expressed how you should play a festival, Ed just isn't that caliber

He's definitely a headliner, but not one i'd voluntarily see