Interesting that there’s not much discussion of Ed Sheeran

Homersexual

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Deadendfriends8 said:

Why don't you ask Katy Perry? One of the biggest artists around at the moment?

She's nowhere near in his league though. She's an arena act at the moment, and probably needed the festival more than it needed her. I would imagine he sold more records/ had more downloads and streams than any other artist on the planet over the last year. You can dislike him, but can't deny he deserves a headline spot. I absolutely hate Muse, but could see why they were headlining last year.

8 minutes ago, chrismcb said:

Well this is one point I do agree with. My wife had one of the music channels on in the house one day, nearly every song was him and it was just a Top 20 show or something like that. Get in the car and stick on the radio, there he is again!

exactly, same in work for me, we have a local radio station on and I swear I hear that fucking galway girl song 5-6 times a shift at minimum. Its just stupid how oversaturated it is he is literally everywhere

3 minutes ago, duke88 said:

She's nowhere near in his league though. She's an arena act at the moment, and probably needed the festival more than it needed her. I would imagine he sold more records/ had more downloads and streams than any other artist on the planet over the last year. You can dislike him, but can't deny he deserves a headline spot. I absolutely hate Muse, but could see why they were headlining last year.

I don't dislike him, and I saw him. I just thought as a headliner it lacked something. Whereas biffy closing the festival with many of horror would've been a moment. It went from sheer euphoria at biffy, to a bit of an underwhelming set from Ed.

Edited by Deadendfriends8

3 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

exactly, same in work for me, we have a local radio station on and I swear I hear that fucking galway girl song 5-6 times a shift at minimum. Its just stupid how oversaturated it is he is literally everywhere

I did like the fact that before he sang Galway Girl he said "You might not like this next song, but you probably know the words", i.e. You hate it cos its always on radio/tv, but you know the words the for same fecking reason :lol:

45 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

ok getting people reacting, singing, waving, dancing, whatever. my point was a headliner should be something `interesting`,.....and ed simply isnt

I obviously wasn't there myself, but I'd assume that all the reactions you mention above probably happened, to a greater or lesser extent.  It might not have been a classic, but it doesn't look like he tanked either.

Last year there were plenty of Adele sceptics as well - where Ed maybe differs is it seems like he didn't manage to convert quite as many naysayers into true believers.

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

No and no. 

Too much too quickly? Hes been releasing gold records for over 6 years. 

yes he has, but its only the last year or so hes literally been everywhere, look how many singles the guy released in a short space of time off his last album? all in the charts, all getting airplay. thats what I mean, total over saturation.

From attending his set, overall I enjoyed the whole performance BUT there should of been a must of been a much more bigger ending for headlining the final night there was just something missing for me comparing to Coldplay last year (I know completely different acts but you got to.) Even just a switch of song with his opening and closing songs. Castle on The Hill would of been a great sing along moment with crowd with maybe a firework production building up to the end would of been a better finish. it all just fell a little flat for me.

I was there, Mrs Jass really wanted to see him and I was in no mood by last thing on Sunday to start an argument. All day she said to me "you'd better not moan all the way through Ed", I don't moan through anyone out of respect to those around me. I still cannot believe how popular he is though, everywhere I looked there were families with young children going crazy for him.

So I took my place with her near the back of the Pyramid expecting to be bored senseless. What's strange is that I actually quite enjoyed the first 20 minutes or so, I even turned to Mrs Jass and said "this is actually alright". Then the set seemed to just drop off a cliff, I assume he went from the singles to albums tracks as I hadn't heard any of them before and they all sounded exactly the same. This killed it stone dead for me and I spent the rest of the set bored to tears. Even Mrs Jass admitted that it started well and fell away.

I expected boredom and I got boredom, it's just a shame that there was a brief spell where I actually enjoyed it. I didn't hate it as much as Mumford and the lads though.

His rapping is shit too.

My sister really wanted to see him and I dragged her to napalm death so went along, I don't like his music but surprisingly enjoyed it, danced a bit could at least murmur along to most of it. I saw him in a tiny tent at 2am in SE corner in 2011 so it's a pretty impressive rise.

Enjoyed him more than Biffy if anything who I used to be a big fan of. Although I did drink a bottle of wine within his first 2 songs (a decision that was rued by day after priest17).

He performed a headline performance though, no doubt about it. Mass singalongs everywhere and a great atmosphere where I was. 

Not someone I would ever pay to watch, out of about 15 friends only two of us went along and I enjoyed most of it. Probably better  if my wife or young family members were there but to say he was one guy (couple of guest singers at one point) he owned the stage. I was right at the back and the crowd were into it.

You can hardly blame him that his songs are that popular they are played every five minutes on crap radio/music channels- at least he half apologised for the irish tune.

3 minutes ago, Upside down frowner said:

Not someone I would ever pay to watch, out of about 15 friends only two of us went along and I enjoyed most of it. Probably better  if my wife or young family members were there but to say he was one guy (couple of guest singers at one point) he owned the stage. I was right at the back and the crowd were into it.

You can hardly blame him that his songs are that popular they are played every five minutes on crap radio/music channels- at least he half apologised for the irish tune.

No I blame his record company, but that is one major reason I dislike his songs.

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

There were thousands and thousands and thousands of people reacting, singing, dancing, whatever....

I agreed with Waterfall... as much as he is so popular to the extreme doesn't make him the right choice for closing act of the festival... a bit of audience participation, something more visual as one bloke on a stage no matter how good is not visually interesting and no raucous power... 

From comments as I didn't see him a lot of people  feel let down at the end of the act ...nothing to go Wow over 

49 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

yes he has, but its only the last year or so hes literally been everywhere, look how many singles the guy released in a short space of time off his last album? all in the charts, all getting airplay. thats what I mean, total over saturation.

So the biggest and most in demand pop star in the world headlining the biggest music festival in the world.

Whats the issue?

2 hours ago, duke88 said:

He's pretty much the biggest thing in the world right now, how on earth is he not a headline act? Liking him or not is one thing, but it's pretty difficult to argue that he shouldn't be headlining the Pyramid.

He should be headlining. He shouldn't be the last act on any given day. While these two things remain intrinsically linked at Glastonbury (they don't at many European festivals) to me that means he shouldn't be headlining either.