Clash Decisions

willsnewman

For those with clash decisions to make, who did you decide on in the end? How was it? 

And for those who went the other way, please tell us how terrible the other act was!

For me the main clashes were:

Run the Jewels / Badbadnotgood. Went with the latter because I hadn't seen them before and have tickets for RTJ in November. They were super good so glad I did. Really good live performance. Was surprised there was no appearance from Samuel T. Herring for their song together, but hey ho.

Avalanches / DJ Shadow. Went with Shadow. Don't think I've ever felt bass like that in my life. But all other sound was clear too so it was all good. The sound rearranged my brain I think. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Also had my fingers crossed for a RTJ appearance but it didn't happen. Was incredible anyway. I reckon if Toots had shown up I may have stuck around West Holts for Avalanches as DJ Shadow is playing here in October...

Midland / Daniel Avery. Stuck with my original plan of Fort Romeau/Jennifer Cardini into Daniel Avery. I've seen Daniel Avery on several occasions before but my super-fan brothers have not. It was a hard one because I haven't made it to NYC Downlow before and love Midland but the brotherly love won that battle.

I have no regrets at all really. I wish I could divide myself into 3 but I had a good time from start to finish as 1.

For me I made 1 good choice and 1 bad one I think....

Chose Stormzy over The National. Mainly because I have tickets for TN in Sept, but also because all my mates were going to see Stormzy. Was the right choice as I had a lot of fun. 

I also plumped for The Killers over Barry Gibb/Chic. Definitely made the wrong choice here. The Killers were good but we were too far back to see anything. I should have stuck to my original plan. I'm still not sure why I chose TK, but I think that I'd already spent a lot of time at The Pyramid and none at JP, so that may have influenced my decision. 

Can't win them all! 

Flipped a coin for the KP/LG clash and Perry came out on top - incidently she also won 3 other coin tosses from my group so had a 4 and 0 record which we took as a sign. Glad it came out like that, as I didnt get any rave reviews from the few that went LG and although Perry wasnt amazing we had a blast in the crowd just messing about (again sorry for those that were around us if we spoiled anything for you).

The other big decision I made - to arrive late to Radiohead so I could see Mr Paak was possibly the best decision I've ever made at any festival I've ever been to. I happily would have missed more of RH if Paak had played for longer, I was so into his set its unreal.

Oh and also The killers over Gibb/Chic was also a good choice I think. Had a great time in the tent, and have seen chic before so it all worked out.

My weekend was a masterclass of festival decisions in my book.

Edited by mjsell

My big clash was ALT-J vs Phoenix. Plumped for ALT-J as we got to the front.  As much as I love them, I think that a more intimate setting would suit them better and we had a bunch of teens behind us who talked through the whole set.  I think I would have been fine, but too many people on this forum keep going on about how good Phoenix were, which is making me think we made the wrong choice, particularly as we are unlikely to see them again....damn you people of eFestivals Glaso forum!  

I had originally called planned to see Father John Misty and Phoenix on my own but having seen literally my entire group madly excited for Foos I went for them instead. It is a decision that will haunt me forever I think.

the other major one was Future Islands over The XX which I think was the right decision but having seen The XX back on iplayer I think I'd have been happy with either!

My two disaster clashes were Royal Blood / Ride on the Friday, then The Killers / Chic on the Sunday.

Unfortunately, I think I may have made the wrong decision judging by reports on here. JP was empty for Ride and Killers obviously too packed.

Never mind, still had a blast.  

Barry Gibb & Chic v The killers - Went with the killers, got just inside the tent and really enjoyed the set. Bit annoying 2 friends got in the tent also but I had no signal and didn't know they were there. 

Royal Blood & The XX vs Lorde & George Ezra - Somehow got to see all of them. Watched all of Royal Blood and left before end of Lorde. Was a good evening but I must have been back and forwards a fair bit

Liam G vs KP  - Went Liam and had a great time. Actually like his new song

Craig David vs The Amazons & Cabbage - Staying with my friend for Craig David was my genuis moment of the festival

Moonlandingz v British Sea Power - went for Moonlandingz, and had a great time. No doubt BSP would have been good, but I've already seen them on this tour.

BadBadNotGood v Run The Jewels/Jezza - saw RTJ, again, and had a good time. If it wasn't for Jezza I might have skipped it, but I'm glad I got to see them (DISCLAIMER - I'm no massive fan of JC, but was keen to see him speak). I just hope BadBadNotGood do some UK dates soon, although it looks like I've missed my chance.  :( 

Toots v King Gizz's WG set - yup, fucked this up. At least I saw Gizz on Sunday.

Phoenix v The Jacksons - went for Phoenix, who took a bloody age to set up and came on pretty late. They were good though, despite me not getting around to listening to the new record yet. Sure The Jacksons would have been good though.

There were loads more, but these were the big ones.

Sasha and Digweed or The Foos

Sasha and Digweed were always going to win,. I had a fucking amazing time. great choice by me . i even thanked myself with a celebratory dance. one of the best sets of the festival up there with Justice and Moderat

First Aid Kit vs. Hamilton Leithauser - Do really like First Aid Kit but the lack of any new material and Hamilton having a fantastic new album out (+ already being at the Park) made that decision pretty easy for me.

The xx vs. Lorde vs Anderson Paak vs. Future Islands - Probably the most heartbreaking one but wanted a good spot for Radiohead so The xx were always gonna win this one despite having already seen them at Primavera and not being particularly enthusiastic about seeing them again. They were great though so can't complain.

Craig David vs. Wild Beasts vs. Thundercat - Only went to this because I wanted a good spot for the acts following. Not my best decision but went with our group who all seemed to enjoy it so ah well.

Katy Perry vs. Liam Gallagher - Katy was always gonna win this one but it didn't make it any less of a sucky clash. Was somewhat relieved to hear that Liam's sound was a bit shite, even if it still would've been great to hear all those Oasis songs.

The National vs. The Avalanches/Solange - Again, wanted a good spot for Foos and just really wanted to see The National, and again, was somewhat relieved to hear the sound at WH that night wasn't great, although still gutted to have missed The Avalanches (saw Solange at Primavera where she was ace).

Laura Marling vs. King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - Do really love Laura's new album and have missed her on multiple occasions, but King Gizzard were fantastic and one of my sets of the weekend.

Barry Gibb/Chic vs. (Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes)/The Killers - Not sure about this one. Frank Carter turned out to be a nice surprise and The Killers were great, but can't help feel like I fucked up and missed a huge party by not sticking at the Pyramid for the disco 1-2. Got swept up in the hype here I think.

Foo Fighters / Alt-J / Phoenix. Glad I saw the Foos because if I hadn't I'd be regretting missing a chance to see them because I probably wouldn't pay to see them on tour, but definitely think I would've had more fun with the others. Probably would've chosen Alt-J as my second choice.

TBA (The Killers) / Haim. Quite wanted to see Haim and before the evidence that it was The Killers started mounting this would've been very 50/50, but I'm very happy with the choice I made.

Ed Sheeran / Justice. Always wanted to see Justice more since the clash was announced but decided to stick with my group for Ed. Kinda wish I hadn't and buggered off on my own, but oh well.

Radiohead / Lorde. Only the tiny bit of overlap so I could've caught most of the Lorde set but would've missed out on Green Light to make it back to Radiohead in time. Woulda liked to have seen her but staying so close for Radiohead worked out really well.

Katy Perry / Liam Gallagher. This was another one I was 50/50 about in terms of how much I like their music but I have no idea when I'm going to get another chance to see KP live whereas I expect Liam to be about for a while. Between Katy putting on a solid set (if a bit too new album focused) and the supposed sound problems I'm pretty happy about this one.

29 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The xx vs. Lorde vs Anderson Paak vs. Future Islands - Probably the most heartbreaking one but wanted a good spot for Radiohead so The xx were always gonna win this one despite having already seen them at Primavera and not being particularly enthusiastic about seeing them again. They were great though so can't complain.

Watching Anderson .Paak on Iplayer I'm so gutted that I didn't go to see him but I also wanted a good spot for Radiohead. I dislike The XX on record but they did put on a good show, Future Islands would have been a nice to see, but Malibu is such my favourite album of last year and he's a good showman. 

Future Islands v The XX (and Anderson .Paak) was an absolute nightmare.

I did Future Islands in the end but left before the end to get a good spot for Radiohead. They were awesome, but I wished I could have seen both the other two.

Quite happy with my decision to catch RTJ and not follow all my camping companions to Busted! RTJ were great.

Foo Fighters v The Jacksons - I did FF but didn't enjoy it that much. Mixed reports about The Jacksons so not sure if it was a good decision or not. 

Toots v LG/KP & Tove Lo. Wish I'd gone to see Tove Lo. Stuck around mistakenly to see if Toots actually showed up then too late to get over to the JP really, especially with the crowd at LG being so rammed.