Banning Picnic Chairs

Bonaneas

1 hour ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

But extending your arument, if that travel light to the festival they will travel light back home, ergo they will leave their onsite purchases behind.

Lets face it, peaple bring far too much crap, buy far too much crap and leave far too much crap behind them.

Glasonbury should be making a stand against todays 'consume all and fu*k the consequence' attitude of so many. It has a moral responsibility to educate and  lead by example once more.

Unless, y'know, they're cracking down on drugs, the production of most of which are way more problematic than the production of PVC matressss... those they should leave well alone and have no moral responsibility on.

It's easy to use ethics to complain about things one doesn't like....

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Unless, y'know, they're cracking down on drugs, the production of most of which are way more problematic than the production of PVC matressss... those they should leave well alone and have no moral responsibility on.

It's easy to use ethics to complain about things one doesn't like....

Isn't that the point of an ethics framework? 

One couple we saw, must of been in their late 50's or 60's had parked their chairs on the pathway crossroads by the pyramid stage, Saturday I think. A mad place to park up.

Saw someone on edge of Avalon/JP (can't remember which) being asked to put chair away. Acoustic, however for bootleg Beatles there were loads inside.

7 hours ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

But extending your arument, if that travel light to the festival they will travel light back home, ergo they will leave their onsite purchases behind.

Lets face it, peaple bring far too much crap, buy far too much crap and leave far too much crap behind them.

Glasonbury should be making a stand against todays 'consume all and fu*k the consequence' attitude of so many. It has a moral responsibility to educate and  lead by example once more.

The difference in the journey there and the journey home is the amount of beer being carried. I came on the coach with two crates of beer, bought a chair there and as I wasn't carrying the beer it was no problem taking the chair back home.

They shouldn't be banned...some people do need them. 

However there should be clearly signposted "no chair" areas and comms should go out surrounding no sitting on paths, and I f it's busy then you need to get up to make room and so on. It's amazing how these people can't summon an ounce of common sense when thousands of people are trying to get around them but they're sitting in the fucking way. 

An outright ban would be silly as many who arent so mobile esp the older generation attending need to sit down now and then, I would ban from the middle of large crowds however.people trying to sit down in the middle of packed crowds are a danger to themselves when people fall on them and the poor people falling over them as they cant be seen till the last minute!

Personally I had a chair, but it never left my campsite, it was just something to sit on when we`d be having a few back at the tents or in the morning as a better option then sitting in a rapidly heating up with the sun tent. Much like flags id just get pissed off carting it around all day if I was to try and use it at stages.

Edited by waterfalls212434

I've no problem with the chairs so long as common sense is applied and chair peoples move back when the crowd gets heavy instead of trying to hold their ground against the tide.

I think the issue was definitely compounded this year by the dry ground and more people sitting on the floor. Floor sitters are far easier to navigate around though and so the chair sitters get noticed more. Probably no more chairs than 2016.

It is odd how some people seem to think that they can claim a space in the pyramid field and everyone else must respect their invisible boundary no matter how rammed it gets. Can't be very relaxing spending half your day being aggressive toward total strangers who are merely trying to go about their drunken festival business. Hate to say it but Sunday ticket folk are by far the worst for this, some of them act like they own the place. 

4 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

Hate to say it but Sunday ticket folk are by far the worst for this, some of them act like they own the place. 

Careful...don't say anything bad about the Sunday folks, my tin hat got a battering for that!

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The chair thing only seems to be an issue at Glastonbury due to the diverse crowd, different ages, families etc, I don't recall seeing them at all at stages at other festivals?

Other festivals have arenas though, and I suspect a lot of them ban taking chairs in.

Camp chairs, people sitting down on blankets etc, all exist, are just part of the festival, and have been since day one.

I'm there to have a good time, and part of that includes being respectful to others space ,whether they be sitting on a chair, lying down, or whatever.

I've never used one at any festival ,and going by some of the comments on here, it just wouldn't be worth any of the hassle either.

16 hours ago, Junglist1981 said:

5953ec3ac1f5b_DSC033462.thumb.jpg.78f66085ba6cefcfc301a2c47006d76a.jpg

To be fair I would say he is just outside the no chair zone.

I have seen people been pulled in the acoustic for being on a chair.

As mentioned I think a polite announcement before the start of the set would make people more aware. At that point the more polite/aware people might put them down and the chair knob heads will just sit there. 

Given the massive scale of the festival, the diverse range of ages and the potential to be out for over 12 hours a day I think it's perfectly reasonable that some may choose to carry a seat to rest on. Particularity on muddy years when sitting on the ground isn't much of an option. Also bear in mind that may attendees may have physical limitations which mean they require more rest time and find sitting on the ground difficult.

The problem is more down to etiquette and common sense to not put seats in inappropriate places. However this applies to pretty much everyone at all times not just the ones with seats. e.g. the countless times I saw busy paths been blocked by large groups stood around having a chat (just move to the side if you need to do this). I suspect most of this inconsiderateness is caused by alcohol and other drugs so maybe that is what we should be banning :P

Edited by I am Jon

50 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Makes it even more inconsiderate, as he's effectively sitting on a pathway. Also raises another problem with no chair zones at stages like the pyramid; surely you'll just end with a row of knobheads like him sat just outside the no chair zone. 

He's not on a pathway and if you look behind him to the right there are people sitting on official concrete pillars seating. Is that on the magical invisible pathway ? Anyway I agree the picture made me smile and thats why I raised a a joke he was just outside the sign zone.

Nailed above "etiquette and common sense" 

The problem is that at certain times (such as the above picture) chairs are not causing any issues due to the complete lack of a crowd. That guy could easily move that chair to just inside the tent and still not be in anyones way. But then those same people need to wake the fuck up, use some common sense and stop being inconsiderate when the crowd builds around them. Stand the fuck up and pack it away. Or move your arse back to where there is still no crowd.

The biggest issue I have is those people that think that just because they have been sitting in a spot longer they are suddenly more entitled that the people arriving later. The bellend before the killers being a prime example.

1 hour ago, brandycoke said:

Camp chairs, people sitting down on blankets etc, all exist, are just part of the festival, and have been since day one.

I'm there to have a good time, and part of that includes being respectful to others space ,whether they be sitting on a chair, lying down, or whatever.

I've never used one at any festival ,and going by some of the comments on here, it just wouldn't be worth any of the hassle either.

In my experience it is pretty much always those sat on chairs or around blankets who get the most hissy when people accidentally touch their chair or blanket. I have seen a number of younger festival goers bullied by older people on chairs. I always end up having a go at them which then makes everyone unhappy. All I'd ask for is more mature tolerance of other festival goers. Glastonbury is not any particular persons living room. 

1 hour ago, I am Jon said:

Also bear in mind that may attendees may have physical limitations which mean they require more rest time and find sitting on the ground difficult.

No problem sitting on the ground - it's the getting back up which is a bastard when you are a certain age with dodgy knees