Banning Picnic Chairs

Bonaneas

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At outright ban would be stupid, I was in much need of mine early in the days on Saturday and Sunday but definitely an exclusion zone in popular areas such as in front of the surge barriers and during headliners. 

Chair owners just need to be responsible with them and the security have to be be given the power to remove them if they are judged to be a hazard to safety.

There were a few people sat in chairs about 30 rows back at the Pyramid in between Craig David and RTJ on Saturday when everyone was moving about trying to get into/out of the crowd. Absolute fucking idiots. Of course chairs should be allowed but not anywhere that close to the stage.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Chairs are fine, just not right down the front.

I wouldn't ban them but maybe a campaign to inform people what a pain in the arse they can be. Encourage people to go further back and fold them away when they're not using them.

Yeah they should definitely make a polite request pre-festival for people to cut that shit out. People setting up chairs and picnic blankets feet away from the front barrier is ridiculous, especially the later and busier it gets and people are getting pushed in to them by the hoards of people accumulating behind.

I like standing right behind the chair people. I'm little and get buffeted around, with chairs in front of me people can't barge into me and the chair people get the abuse, win win for me. :o

I think they're fine if you're further back and actually using them. My dad comes to the festival and can't stand for long so carries a chair around with him (though he and my mum use the viewing platforms nowadays), so some people do rely on them.

But if someone's having a jump around to a band don't kick off when they accidentally falls into them (a story which I mention on the "dick of the festival" thread). That's what really annoys me; those who guard them with their lives when they're not even using them. Just put the bloody things away!

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Acoustic Stage already has one.

It's not respected though.  

The only time I've seen a chair ban work was at Glastonbury Abbey Extravaganza where there was a cordoned off bit in which no chairs were allowed.  This was enforced by security rather than the crowd themselves so no bad feeling among the punters.  

6 minutes ago, Odessa said:

There were a few people sat in chairs about 30 rows back at the Pyramid in between Craig David and RTJ on Saturday when everyone was moving about trying to get into/out of the crowd. Absolute fucking idiots. Of course chairs should be allowed but not anywhere that close to the stage.

I saw that women on her chair in the pit for RTJ, she was promptly taken out during the BBNP1 moshpit..

10 minutes ago, kellly said:

I saw a steward very politely ask a lady in the JP to take her chair outside the tent as she couldn't sit on it inside. First time I've seen this happen

Saw this happen the previous year as well, I get it in the tents where there is not a dedicated area, I think the chairs are somewhat better than the picnic blankets all over the pyramid though which take up square metres at a time!

Between sets is fine, pretty much an hour between the subs and headliners so if you are at the middle or back and there's room I don't see a problem having a sit down but as soon as it gets busy get those chairs and blankets out of the way. 

I dropped my chair off at the tent late afternoon, didn't want to be carrying it around all night after the main acts.

1 minute ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

It's not OK to ban them. Some of us wouldn't be able to enjoy the festival without them. However I do think stewards and signage could better manage where they're used. 

I bought a tiny stool thing that fits in your bag, but I was too embarrassed to sit on it as I looked like I was on the loo. :lol:

I don't think anyone should be allowed in front of the back set of speaker with a chair, they're just an utter nuisance. Sit down if you will between acts, but don't be downright selfish 

The people who just up themselves from their seat and leave it there during acts are the worst, complete disregard for anyone else wanting to watch music 

2 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

I bought a tiny stool thing that fits in your bag, but I was too embarrassed to sit on it as I looked like I was on the loo. :lol:

I tried sitting on one, my battered knees can't handle them! Full chair or nothing for me. Although once the beer & painkillers kick in I don't need a chair at all.