NFR NFC - to tide you over the fallow year

fatyeti24

Lucy I too have the plague. It started yesterday with a sore throat and has hit full on today. Get well soon lovey. 

Yog I also think that is a lovely thing of your wife to do. Very charitable. Being alone at Christmas is the pits. However, I’m more interested in the air bed to fit on top of the camp bed! I have a camp bed and find it uncomfortable but a general air bed falls off the camp bed. 

2 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

Lucy I too have the plague. It started yesterday with a sore throat and has hit full on today. Get well soon lovey. 

Yog I also think that is a lovely thing of your wife to do. Very charitable. Being alone at Christmas is the pits. However, I’m more interested in the air bed to fit on top of the camp bed! I have a camp bed and find it uncomfortable but a general air bed falls off the camp bed. 

Get well soon too! I'm going to attempt drinking mine away later on the works do! 

I have also been hit by a plague this week, but I had the joy of norovirus (or something similar), rather than flu. Felt like crap, but just about back to normal now. Two more shifts to get through before Xmas, both starting at 4 a.m, but then I'll be off until 3rd January :)

Hope everyone who's under the weather gets sorted before Monday, and you all have a fab Christmas!

13 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

Hello Curlygirl,

I collected the airbed and frame today, but haven't taken it out of it's packing case yet. However, looking at the photo above, it would appear that the airbed part is secured to the frame with two black straps to stop it sliding off.

In other news, our drainage problems have finally been sorted today. I was woken by a workman early this morning who indicated that he couldn't do the job, as it was a bigger job than was on their works order. In addition, he went on to say that as the problem was on a communal drive then they had to give the other residents notice of their intention to dig the drive up. I went back in to our house and told my wife this. She, in turn, went outside to the bloke and went ballistic, indicating that the other neighbours (our relatively new neighbours) could all go fuck themselves, and indicated to the bloke that he had to do the job today. Anyway, the net result was that a team of 8 blokes turned up with a JCB and dug up the drive and repaired the section of broken pipe. All is now well again, and peace has been restored. Not sure if our newish neighbours will ever talk to us, but that's no skin off my nose.

34 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Curlygirl,

I collected the airbed and frame today, but haven't taken it out of it's packing case yet. However, looking at the photo above, it would appear that the airbed part is secured to the frame with two black straps to stop it sliding off.

In other news, our drainage problems have finally been sorted today. I was woken by a workman early this morning who indicated that he couldn't do the job, as it was a bigger job than was on their works order. In addition, he went on to say that as the problem was on a communal drive then they had to give the other residents notice of their intention to dig the drive up. I went back in to our house and told my wife this. She, in turn, went outside to the bloke and went ballistic, indicating that the other neighbours (our relatively new neighbours) could all go fuck themselves, and indicated to the bloke that he had to do the job today. Anyway, the net result was that a team of 8 blokes turned up with a JCB and dug up the drive and repaired the section of broken pipe. All is now well again, and peace has been restored. Not sure if our newish neighbours will ever talk to us, but that's no skin off my nose.

Your wife sounds amazing!!! And too right about the neighbours! Some things need to be sorted and the shit storm you have had to endure was one of them. Pleased you got sorted dude. So about the bed, all I need to do is buy some extra large belts! Why didn’t I think of that? Haha. 

42 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

Your wife sounds amazing!!! And too right about the neighbours! Some things need to be sorted and the shit storm you have had to endure was one of them. Pleased you got sorted dude. So about the bed, all I need to do is buy some extra large belts! Why didn’t I think of that? Haha. 

It deed indeed need sorting. I think my wife was exasperated with the inefficiency of the Water Board, and finally lost it this morning. 

Yes, the bed looks like it's been designed well. I still don't know where everyone is going to sleep though. A few people just wont go to sleep. It's the usual way.

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It deed indeed need sorting. I think my wife was exasperated with the inefficiency of the Water Board, and finally lost it this morning. 

Yes, the bed looks like it's been designed well. I still don't know where everyone is going to sleep though. A few people just wont go to sleep. It's the usual way.

The art of sleeping in confined places is one well worth mastering! 

I'm glad your drainage problems have been sorted. It sounds like you're going to have a houseful over Christmas, try to enjoy it! 

15 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

The art of sleeping in confined places is one well worth mastering! 

I'm glad your drainage problems have been sorted. It sounds like you're going to have a houseful over Christmas, try to enjoy it! 

Hello vintagelaureate,

I once saw a mate asleep curled up on the top of a washing machine in the very early hours of the morning at a party. Now that's going to take some beating. In fact, I think that only getting inside the washing machine beats that.

We are actually going to have a quiet Christmas Day. It'll just be my wife, her son and me. Then all the lunatics are coming to play on Boxing Day. Not sure how long people are staying for, but it'll be OK, because everybody knows each other and gets on. Then it's a quiet New Year Eve - assuming that we haven't any refugees from the Boxing Day session still with us.

Now all I have to do is repeat in a mantra that 'I will enjoy Christmas, I will enjoy Christmas' etc etc over and over in a loop type scenario. 

Hope that you and yours have a lovely time at Christmas. :)

• Upvote 1

I was just talking to my wife about the subject of people misinterpreting things. I reminded her of a book that I read by Malachy McCourt called 'A Monk Swimming'. Apparently, as a child he thought that the line in the Bible Luke 1:42 said 'A monk swimming' when the whole line goes 'Blessed is he amngst women'. This then reminded me of someone from my past who thought that there actually was a 'Lord of the dance settee', when we all know (?) it's 'I am the Lord of the Dance said he'. 

Then my wife reminded me of her actions when dealing with her, now adult, only child. When he was young she told him that the immersion switch to heat their water was actually called the 'Emotion Switch'. She kept this up for years - so for years the poor lad was instructed to go and turn on the emotion switch, so that there would be hot water,which he duly did. 

Anyway, I have no idea why I cam out with all that cobblers. Just one of them things, I guess.

6 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I was just talking to my wife about the subject of people misinterpreting things. I reminded her of a book that I read by Malachy McCourt called 'A Monk Swimming'. Apparently, as a child he thought that the line in the Bible Luke 1:42 said 'A monk swimming' when the whole line goes 'Blessed is he amngst women'. This then reminded me of someone from my past who thought that there actually was a 'Lord of the dance settee', when we all know (?) it's 'I am the Lord of the Dance said he'. 

Then my wife reminded me of her actions when dealing with her, now adult, only child. When he was young she told him that the immersion switch to heat their water was actually called the 'Emotion Switch'. She kept this up for years - so for years the poor lad was instructed to go and turn on the emotion switch, so that there would be hot water,which he duly did. 

Anyway, I have no idea why I cam out with all that cobblers. Just one of them things, I guess.

I thought "I am the lord of the dance settee" was one of those everyone misheard first time, like "Good tidings we bring, to you and your King"

27 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I thought "I am the lord of the dance settee" was one of those everyone misheard first time,

Do you know, I really can't recall what my original understanding was. However, I can't recall being educated to the real words either! 

"Good tidings we bring, to you and your King" - now you got me. I had up until your post believed it to be king.

I'll admit it - I'm really crap at this game. :)

47 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I thought "I am the lord of the dance settee" was one of those everyone misheard first time, like "Good tidings we bring, to you and your King"

I remember, many years ago, going to Sunday school, and really enjoying the song about Gladly, the cross-eyed bear.

1 hour ago, mr gumby said:

I remember, many years ago, going to Sunday school, and really enjoying the song about Gladly, the cross-eyed bear.

I had absolutely no knowledge that Sunday schools existed, in my youth. So far, I've been  ever so late for Sunday school, New Romanticism. The Smurfs, and One Direction. Please don't think of me as a complete spanner. I would urge you to think of me more as a 'Snap -On' fitting, than a lowly spanner. 

At Christmas time, in the morning.

Happy Christmas (or marvelous Monday to those who don't celebrate it) to all in here. This time next year we'll hopefully all have tickets in hand and be at planning stages. 

Remember, it's just a day so good luck to those with in laws and estranged family appearing. 

I'm set for a relatively quiet one... but we'll see!

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

What a bastard of a thing to happen. Sincere sympathies mr gumby. 

Thanks, Yog. Started last night, and I've spent nearly all of today in bed. Missed Xmas dinner, but hoping there'll be some leftovers tomorrow, and I'll be able to manage some. Dragged myself up for long enough to open some presents, and watch others open theirs, but now I'm going back to bed. Made Mrs gumby cry when she opened one of her parcels, which was touching.

Hope you've all had a fun day.

56 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

Thanks, Yog. Started last night, and I've spent nearly all of today in bed. Missed Xmas dinner, but hoping there'll be some leftovers tomorrow, and I'll be able to manage some. Dragged myself up for long enough to open some presents, and watch others open theirs, but now I'm going back to bed. Made Mrs gumby cry when she opened one of her parcels, which was touching.

Hope things pick up soon @mr gumby, rest is the key to recuperation! Take care.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mr gumby said:

Made Mrs gumby cry when she opened one of her parcels, which was touching.

You been making those vegetable animals again?

3 hours ago, mr gumby said:

Having a fun day this end. I've just finished working on a hooped dress for one of my mannequins. How gay am I? Don't answer that! Not even if you really really want to! Anyway, it's all looking good. I bought a hooped under skirt cheaply, and have now emblazoned it with ' stuff' (just stop what you are thinking right now Finbarr Kid!). I'll put the finished piece on here - one day. 

Hope have all had a lovely day, evening, night, and best wishes for the morning.