NFR NFC - to tide you over the fallow year

fatyeti24

hello all quick pre Christmas check in - all this talk of festivals is making me jealous - as GF takes up so many days holiday we have decided it would be a bit selfish to do one next year and spend the extra days with the kids.  However may do camp bestival again as we can take them to that - so all is not lost - Hurrah! Would love to try boomtown though and Festival N0 6 is one that always looks interesting , and green man - you see this is why I can't start thinking about it!  Good to have Yog's stories back and your artwork is ace Guy Old Son, will have a look into purchasing something in the new year.

the reason I thought to pop in was I was looking at a Christmas menu and a welcome drink was a Cherry Bakewell Fizz - Amaretto cherry liqueur and prosecco - sounds lovely - appreciate you cant pre mix with prosecco at a festival but may well give it a try over the festive period. Someone else nicking your recipes CG!

If I don't pop in again have a fabulous Christmas and new year you lovely lot - you really do keep the sunshine going throughout the year, love you all xx

1 hour ago, noplacelikehome said:

hello all quick pre Christmas check in - all this talk of festivals is making me jealous - as GF takes up so many days holiday we have decided it would be a bit selfish to do one next year and spend the extra days with the kids.  However may do camp bestival again as we can take them to that - so all is not lost - Hurrah! Would love to try boomtown though and Festival N0 6 is one that always looks interesting , and green man - you see this is why I can't start thinking about it!  Good to have Yog's stories back and your artwork is ace Guy Old Son, will have a look into purchasing something in the new year.

the reason I thought to pop in was I was looking at a Christmas menu and a welcome drink was a Cherry Bakewell Fizz - Amaretto cherry liqueur and prosecco - sounds lovely - appreciate you cant pre mix with prosecco at a festival but may well give it a try over the festive period. Someone else nicking your recipes CG!

If I don't pop in again have a fabulous Christmas and new year you lovely lot - you really do keep the sunshine going throughout the year, love you all xx

Hello noplacelikehome,

Wishing you a fabulous Christmas too. :)

In other news, things have gone seriously awry at this end. Last night we noticed that three of the drainage gulleys were blocked to our house. I called Severn Trent Water and used my building knowledge to inform them that it was their responsibility to resolve the problem under rules that came in in October 2011 to do with shared drain runs. They said that they would send an engineer out. Great I thought, I'll give my wife some cash to give to the bloke when he finishes the job while I'm away  (Go. Go gumby). So just before I start my epic run across the country their engineer turns up, gets out his rod (Oh perlease!) and starts to poke it about in my drain run! Nothing happened. I don't mean that the earth didn't move for me, I mean that the backed up shit didn't move for him. So he gets his high water pressure hose out (steady mr gumby, steady), and turns the main thrusters on! The result - not nothing, but something. Something you wouldn't want to happen to you at any time, but when I have major tasks ahead of you, gives it a completely different, almost cosmically sad, dimension. The result of him turning on the high pressure jet was that suddenly shit, and I mean shit, started to flow out of the drains. He tried this to stop it, and he tried that to stop it. However he could not stop it.

So, now my entrance and exit to and from the house is literally prevented because there's mountains of shit all around the outside of my house. Then the bloke says that he hasn't got the right equipment for the job (what have I told you mr gumby?), and says there's nothing more that he can do, so leaves. He did have the decency to ring up the private arm of the company, who do have the right equipment, but will charge me for clearing up the shit and solving the problem. What's more, being the nice bloke (idiot) that I am, I gave him a healthy Christmas tip before he left (£30). To be fair, he really did try his hardest. Now I have to wait for his colleagues to come out. The result of this is that I am now not driving across the country this afternoon, but will be getting up in the wee hours of tomorrow to do so. 

I am now going to go off and pray to the Little Baby Jesus that the next crew who come along, can get me out of the shit.

Never mind, it'll be Christmas soon, and my wife has invited 16 people (and rising) to come and stay with us for a few days during that period. Oh how I laughed on the way to the sanitorium when I heard this news. People who aren't on drugs all that time are just going to have to run a tag relay team thing in terms of getting a bed to sleep in. Mind you, it'll not affect me too much - I'll be in the campervan rocking backwards and forwards muttering to myself. 

Have a lovely weekend everybody. And do you know what - I actually mean that. :)

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Great I thought, I'll give my wife some cash to give to the bloke when he finishes the job while I'm away  (Go. Go gumby). So just before I start my epic run across the country their engineer turns up, gets out his rod (Oh perlease!) and starts to poke it about in my drain run! Nothing happened. I don't mean that the earth didn't move for me, I mean that the backed up shit didn't move for him. So he gets his high water pressure hose out (steady mr gumby, steady), and turns the main thrusters on! The result - not nothing, but something. Something you wouldn't want to happen to you at any time, but when I have major tasks ahead of you, gives it a completely different, almost cosmically sad, dimension. The result of him turning on the high pressure jet was that suddenly shit, and I mean shit, started to flow out of the drains. He tried this to stop it, and he tried that to stop it. However he could not stop it.

So, now my entrance and exit to and from the house is literally prevented because there's mountains of shit all around the outside of my house. Then the bloke says that he hasn't got the right equipment for the job (what have I told you mr gumby?), and says there's nothing more that he can do, so leaves. 

I'm not a machine, you know, Yog! I can't be expected to just jump up and finbarr you at the drop of a hat, whenever the mood takes you. I admit that I enjoy a good finbarr now and again, but I'm just saying it would be nice if you could go to the trouble of building up to it sometimes. You know, some candles, maybe a nice meal or something, rather than just expecting finbarrs on tap, without any effort on your part. I think you need to reconsider your approach to this particular area of our relationship, before I'm forced to start looking for someone who is willing to earn my finbarrs! 

*Flounces dramatically from the room, in the style of Blanche DuBois*

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mr gumby said:

I'm not a machine, you know, Yog! I can't be expected to just jump up and finbarr you at the drop of a hat, whenever the mood takes you. I admit that I enjoy a good finbarr now and again, but I'm just saying it would be nice if you could go to the trouble of building up to it sometimes. You know, some candles, maybe a nice meal or something, rather than just expecting finbarrs on tap, without any effort on your part. I think you need to reconsider your approach to this particular area of our relationship, before I'm forced to start looking for someone who is willing to earn my finbarrs! 

*Flounces dramatically from the room, in the style of Blanche DuBois*

I'm so so sorry mr gumby. I guess I kind of got a little too excited like a 14 year old school boy, and went for them too early. And am I paying the price for it now - I wander alone in No Finbarr City. It's a tough and lonely road, but I've learnt my lesson. On the plus side I have saved myself some money on the candles and nice meal front, so that's  not to be sneezed at. Can you ever forgive me Blanche? 

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm so so sorry mr gumby. I guess I kind of got a little too excited like a 14 year old school boy, and went for them too early. And am I paying the price for it now - I wander alone in No Finbarr City. It's a tough and lonely road, but I've learnt my lesson. On the plus side I have saved myself some money on the candles and nice meal front, so that's  not to be sneezed at. Can you ever forgive me Blanche? 

You could do with working on your sweet talk technique, too, but I suppose I'll let you off this once.

Oh @lucyginger... are you considering Bearded theory this year? As well as Bestival? It would be amazing if you did go. I’d have an actual real life (tinterweb inspired) friend!! I’m overly excited with myself in taking the leap of faith in going to a festival potentially on my own. I know you’re never alone at a festival but it’s still a scary concept for me. I have even bought shit loads of glitter and glitter applying paraphernalia. Go me :locomotive:

Doesn’t @mr gumby live south of you? I always assumed he did as he goes to Weymouth quite a lot. Are you camping with Mrs G and Gumby Junior this year G? And if so, when? 

Hi @noplacelikehome! Lovely to hear from you again x

39 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

You could do with working on your sweet talk technique, too, but I suppose I'll let you off this once.

Appreciated Blanche.

Well, the bastards didn't show up. After many many phone calls they are now coming out to look at the drains tomorrow. However, I'll be away elsewhere by then - 4am start for me. If they fail to rectify and clean up the mess, then it's just possible that my wife will be on remand for murder by Christmas. 

51 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

Oh @lucyginger... are you considering Bearded theory this year? As well as Bestival? It would be amazing if you did go. I’d have an actual real life (tinterweb inspired) friend!! I’m overly excited with myself in taking the leap of faith in going to a festival potentially on my own. I know you’re never alone at a festival but it’s still a scary concept for me. I have even bought shit loads of glitter and glitter applying paraphernalia. Go me :locomotive:

Doesn’t @mr gumby live south of you? I always assumed he did as he goes to Weymouth quite a lot. Are you camping with Mrs G and Gumby Junior this year G? And if so, when? 

Hi @noplacelikehome! Lovely to hear from you again x

We're about 50-60 miles almost directly west of lucy, just near the point where Somerset, Dorset and Devon meet. Not sure about camping in Weymouth next summer yet, but I'd say there's a good chance. It'll be in August if we do, as the farm we visit only does camping for that one month each year.

38 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

We're about 50-60 miles almost directly west of lucy, just near the point where Somerset, Dorset and Devon meet. Not sure about camping in Weymouth next summer yet, but I'd say there's a good chance. It'll be in August if we do, as the farm we visit only does camping for that one month each year.

Im there after Bestival for 8 days. Really looking forward to going back to where I used to live. Reminisce a bit and do the touristy stuff I didn’t do when I lived there. 

Hello all,

I haven't worked like I have today for ages. As in hard physical work. I'd kind of forgotten what it was like. I may do some more of it, and soon. I met a lovely family, and reacquainted myself with 'team work'also. Not that I ever even initially immersed myself in team work when in paid employment in the first place.  However, I am familiar with team work when it comes to my family's previous Opus Dei type commitment to working and having no fun - apart from one of my elder brothers total embracement of the Ancient Art of Inertia, which has since been superseded by an unconscious fascination with self delusion.

So, on the whole (yes, that is what I said), it's been a good day. That last sentence reminds me of one of my wife's mothers totally innocent but double meaning outbursts. Apparently, she once was talking, almost rabidly, about how good Solihull Shopping Centre is, when it occurred to her to go on to describe the toilet facilities there, which she said 'Were quite satisfying, on the whole'. The net result of this was to send my wife and her brother in to tears of laughter in front of their mother, knowing that she would never understood the comic genius that she had just come out with. Which leaves me to think 'Just what was going through her mind when she saw two of her offspring just burst out laughing, and having no idea why it should be'? That she just pressed on with another subject (for she will have, as I have seen her in action), is truly remarkable. How do you try and take on a force like that, and expect to win?

Anyway, I ache now, but suspect that by tomorrow it will be worse. Far worse. I will only be able to get around looking like I am wearing calipers on both legs, or give the casual observer the impression that I have just shate the Mother of all Shits in to my own underwear. Maybe they'll be the odd one out there who will conclude that I am experiencing both of those 'situations' simultaneously. 

Hope all is okay with everyone! 

I've been ploughing on with work (currently marking books at 3.30am!!) but we break up on Thursday so roll on Christmas. My youngest is doing well, all things considered, a little cough but powering on. My eldest is filled with Christmas spirit! This is the first year she 'gets' it so I can't wait to see her on Christmas day. We've bought her too much so a few things are getting kept back to her birthday now. 

Anyway, enjoy your week guys and gals! 

8 hours ago, lucyginger said:

Oh Yog, hot bath and a smoke will help! 

I've done my second choir concert today, it went really well. No one wanted after show drinks though, so I am home finishing off some vodka. Will have medicinal a smoke too in a bit! Happy Sunday, everyone! 

Hello lucy,

The situation with the house when I got back was that the drainage engineers had informed my wife, not to use the bath,  washing machine, dishwasher, try to use the pubs toilets etc. I was happy enough not to have a bath, but my wife 'insisted' that I did under all circumstances. It didn't bother her that such an action could, technically, send more shit flying all over the place outside our home. 

So, I did have a bath, and I did also have a drink too. And it was good and I liked it. 

32 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

Yog - making the best of it.

article-0-06A96EA9000005DC-614_634x461.j

Thanks vintagelaureate. 

Apologies, as I also meant to post my happiness to hear is all as well as can be expected at your end. It's great to hear that your youngest is soldiering on, and that your eldest is going to enjoy Christmas.

Wishing you a mighty fine week too.

• Upvote 1

Hello all,

Just listened to some music thing on BBC about U2. T'was very good, in my opinion.

Went to visit my parents today, and all went very well. I hadn't seen them in a long time, and was getting a little wracked with guilt about it. My dad has changed considerably in the last year. He has finally mellowed. I used to walk in to my folks house sit down, my dad would have a pop at me, I'd have a pop back at him, and I'd stand up and walk back out of their house. I think my record was marginally less than five minutes from start to finish. It's dramatically changed now. Now he no longer tries to impose what I should do on to me. He actually says that it's my choice what I do now - as if it weren't in the first place, but never mind.

This has made me happy this evening. It's been a long time coming.

Hope you lot are in a happy place too.  

Hey all. I'm still desperately thinking of a fest for next year. I go to Kendal Calling anyway so I want something else. It has to be at least 4 days, can be as far as Glasto but not further, have to be able to get the bus, mixed genres, and night time fun. Basically I want Glastonbury but in a different festival. I've researched all day and can't find anything suitable

26 minutes ago, Ammonite said:

Hey all. I'm still desperately thinking of a fest for next year. I go to Kendal Calling anyway so I want something else. It has to be at least 4 days, can be as far as Glasto but not further, have to be able to get the bus, mixed genres, and night time fun. Basically I want Glastonbury but in a different festival. I've researched all day and can't find anything suitable

You don't say where you are located, so it's a little difficult to pin point your acceptable range of travel. I am going to Boomtown this year, which someone has indicated that it's kind of like what Glastonbury used to be, if that's any help. If you are Midlands based then I would thoroughly recommend the Shambala Festival. It is one that I recommend everybody attend at least once - unless it changes over the next few years. 

Hi, all.  The next one still seems a long long way off :( Hope everyone is keeping as well as can be  and that you all have a good Xmas.

if you've got a minute and have spotify etc have a listen to a friends album Healing My Soul by K D McKay. he would be interested in your views, I know you can be trusted to come up with constructive comments :)

Have a good un peeps and will hopefully see some of you in a field next year.

3 hours ago, naughtygeorgie said:

Enjoy and look after yourselves both physically & mentally. 

Eh? It's Christmas. Time to indulge both physically and mentally. Actually, I feel a little rough right now because of excess. It would appear that I drank a litre bottle of gin on my own last night and in to the wee hours of this morning. My wife informs me that I got in to bed just after 7am. It would also appear that I've made some on line purchases during the night. I haven't told my wife about these yet because I'm too scared and fragile. Currently nursing a restorative G & T in a hair of the dog kind of way. 

Hi guys, I’m currently in gainsborough visiting friends and they have gone to bed and I’m bored. Sat in the living room with my air bed made and ready to dive into. All I can think about is next years festivals. I’m a little bit daunted at going to a couple alone, tho I know I needn’t be as we’re all friends at festivals. Very excited for Bestival and a lovely Glasto gal has invited me to camp with her and her friends at bearded theory. @lucyginger you’re choir sounded just beautiful!! I didn’t realise you were that professional! @naughtygeorgie Hope you and Mr NG have a fabulous time... as I know you will!!! @Ammonite I too go to Kendal Calling but it’s my first time at others so I can’t give feedback I’m afraid. I’m going to go to quite a few ‘fake festivals’ this year as a loner. Sometimes the copy bands are as good as the real thing. And cheap! Hope you find what you’re looking for 

I've just bought an airbed which goes on top of a frame;

s-l1600.jpg

I'm due to collect it later today. I bought it because my wife has invited about a billion people to come and stay with us for a few days from Boxing Day onwards. That we have drainage problems is neither here nor there. Apparently (before I met her) her house was an open house at Christmas for all waifs and strays that didn't have a family to go to. It would appear that she is harking back to her roots this Christmas. I would prefer a quiet one myself, but know where she is coming from with her hospitality this year, so am OK with it.