NFR NFC - to tide you over the fallow year

fatyeti24

1 hour ago, carlosj said:

Yes, it's been full on these past few weeks again. The eldest going to uni and then not (lack of support for Asperger's) MrsCJ recovering from her op (currently very hormonal) and now MrsCJ has bought tickets for a matinee performance of the youngest's dance show instead of the evening, so the night now resounds to gutteral Anglo Saxon from my wife, and the night is less well than it was.

Anyway, really nice to hear of your move and new surroundings.  Are you a Martian like Arrival, or Mars Attacks?

Sorry to hear that the evening's taken a wrong turn. With all that stress on your plates, it's not that surprising. Hope that the good times roll again soon. 

I know nothing of Arrival or Mars Attacks, but suspect that they are films, or maybe computer games. Not sure. As such, I also don't know how to answer your question in relation to them. However, I mean no harm - as one of my friends (who is in to sci fi) keeps shouting out in public while pissed! Lord knows what must go through the minds of passers by. This is the bloke who I have seen go in to the very front bit of his moms lounge bay window and insist that he is actually controlling all the people who pass by on the outside. 

19 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Sorry to hear that the evening's taken a wrong turn. With all that stress on your plates, it's not that surprising. Hope that the good times roll again soon. 

I know nothing of Arrival or Mars Attacks, but suspect that they are films, or maybe computer games. Not sure. As such, I also don't know how to answer your question in relation to them. However, I mean no harm - as one of my friends (who is in to sci fi) keeps shouting out in public while pissed! Lord knows what must go through the minds of passers by. This is the bloke who I have seen go in to the very front bit of his moms lounge bay window and insist that he is actually controlling all the people who pass by on the outside. 

Cheers Yog, we're working on those good times, and they will merge into great times next weekend as we fly off for a break.

Hope the evening's good for everyone, been a glorious weekend.

14 minutes ago, carlosj said:

Cheers Yog, we're working on those good times, and they will merge into great times next weekend as we fly off for a break.

Hello carlosj,

That break away next weekend sounds perfectly timed to me. I can see the benefits of getting away from it for a short while when things are getting on top of you, and you can't see the wood for the trees kind of thing. May I ask you where you are going? 

• Like 1

We're heading off on hollibobs next weekend, too :) Where are you off to? 

Where's everybody going to? Do you know something I don't? I'm scared. I think I'm going to head off somewhere in the campervan next weekend, just because I'm getting the impression that everybody should be somewhere else. In the mean time I think I'll listen to the audio version of War of the Worlds, just to calm me down.

34 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

We're heading off on hollibobs next weekend, too :) Where are you off to? 

4 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Where's everybody going to? Do you know something I don't? I'm scared. I think I'm going to head off somewhere in the campervan next weekend, just because I'm getting the impression that everybody should be somewhere else. In the mean time I think I'll listen to the audio version of War of the Worlds, just to calm me down.

Mallorca for 4 nights, then Filey! Where are you all going Mr g?

Yog, glad you still got your van. Is that audio version with Richard Burton?

#whoop. 

31 minutes ago, carlosj said:

#whoop. 

I like Mallorca. I've been there twice to study and complete two diving courses. On one of the days on my second course, I was stunned that they let us go diving at all. We'd been up nearly all night drinking, and some people were literally staggering to the dive school. One of my mates (who was already a qualified Divemaster) was so ill that he threw up, at depth, under water. Fortunately the regulators allow for the sick to be expelled. I saw him throw up , and then watched as his whole head was covered with fish who were eating his sick. 

The audio version that I was referring to was narrated by Orson Welles in the heyday of radio, and caused widespread hysteria and panic in America when it was aired. It was so well done that a lot of people actually thought that the world was being taken over by aliens, and went a bit bananas. 

#whoop. 

I'm also going Iberian! It's my mother in law's 70th next month, but she decided that rather than having a party, she'd like a family holiday. We've booked a villa about an hour east of Malaga, for the in laws, their 3 daughters plus partners, and the 5 grandchildren. Should be good timing for me, a chance to relax and refresh before I start my new job a few days after we get back :)

Whereabouts on Mallorca are you headed? Only been there once myself, to Cala Marçal, but it was a lovely trip.

Yog, the diving sounds great fun. Excluding the vom.

Mr G, not sure where we're going, except that it's on the North end, Pollença? I've got the details somewhere. We've been to Palma some years ago, so we'll see what the North end is like.

The Filey trip is by my ma in law, who's booked a house for a week. And she's celebrating her 70th all this year, how cool is that? Congrats on the job too.

Night all.

1 hour ago, mr gumby said:

I'm also going Iberian! It's my mother in law's 70th next month, but she decided that rather than having a party, she'd like a family holiday. We've booked a villa about an hour east of Malaga, for the in laws, their 3 daughters plus partners, and the 5 grandchildren. Should be good timing for me, a chance to relax and refresh before I start my new job a few days after we get back :)

Whereabouts on Mallorca are you headed? Only been there once myself, to Cala Marçal, but it was a lovely trip.

I went to Malaga once. I normally do a fair bit of research on a place before going, but, for some reason, hadn't done so in this case. Anyway, I was expecting it to be a shit hole with Kiss Me Quick hats, etc. It turns out I was wrong (that would make a good epitaph, that would), and that it's a lovely place to visit, steeped in history, and just miles away from what I thought it would be. If anybody's going, and can ride a bicycle, then I would strongly recommend going on a guided bike tour. 

Hope you have a fab time on holiday mr gumby, and good luck with the new job.

55 minutes ago, carlosj said:

Yog, the diving sounds great fun. Excluding the vom.

Mr G, not sure where we're going, except that it's on the North end, Pollença? I've got the details somewhere. We've been to Palma some years ago, so we'll see what the North end is like.

The Filey trip is by my ma in law, who's booked a house for a week. And she's celebrating her 70th all this year, how cool is that? Congrats on the job too.

Night all.

Fair play to your mother in law for going for the year long celebrations for her 70th birthday. She'll end the celebrations just in time to start her 71st birthday celebrations. And hopefully many more yearly celebrations after that. It's good to have a goal.

Stay safe @crazyfool1 and any others in Ophelia's path.  Never seen the sky looking like this before

20171016_144958.thumb.jpg.85b475828d8f82a66d96b81020eccb47.jpg

Great to hear you got the job @mr gumby, what will you be doing?  Loved the fruit and veg animals.  I believe a tomato is indeed a fruit;  it might even be a berry,  like a banana.  @guypjfreak I really hope your friend's chemo isn't too tough and helps control his illness,  also sending lots of love to you and your daughter @vintagelaureate@carlosj sorry to hear that lack of support for AS has stopped your eldest from going to uni.  It seems to be very inconsistent between institutions.  My eldest doesn't have a diagnosis but he does have a lot of 'aspie' traits,  and I think his inability to find people on the same wavelength at uni (even on a maths course!)  contributed to his decision not to continue.  I hope your eldest is able to find a niche - that's all any of us need really,  despite all the exhortations to 'be the best you can be'.

I hope everyone's ok;  I haven't been posting because I'm stupidly busy and by the time I sit down to look on efests I'm falling asleep.  I fell asleep today during a mindfulness exercise at work...  Still, there are good reasons for the tiredness.  There's been a marked increase in my paid work (well I suppose that's good for me, even though it's not good that more people need therapy).  And I have to get up early because of the everyday miracle of my youngest still going to school, still enjoying 6th form.  He got a great report last week,   something of a contrast to the previous one which was issued shortly after he stopped going to school in yr 10.  Then, some teachers who'd been falling over themselves at the beginning of term to say how brilliant his GCSE grades were going to be,  decided that he was going to fail them because he'd missed 5 weeks of school.  After nearly 2 years out of school he passed them all (and was in the top 5% of his year for maths). The teachers he has for A levels are those who refused to write him off, and they made all the difference. I'll be baking a lot of cakes to take into school this week, as well as special cake for Mr Moo, whose birthday is today :)

Warm hugs to all xx

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Chuff, it's windy now. 

Cheers @dizzymoo, she's not frazzled now, applying for next year and enrolling on lots of things to keep her occupied. I'm glad to hear of your youngest one's progress, and hope your elder son finds a way through.

Anyone been to Beatherder? I fancy a shorter festival next year and take the family too. Sorry, my bird brain is flitting on to anything that will distract from Winter coming on.

Ooh, we just had a power cut! Got the house lit by candles just before the lights came back on. Bit disappointed now, it looked rather nice! Ophelia seems to be causing a bit of a stir :)

Thanks, @dizzymoo. I'm going to be working for Lidl. Not particularly glamorous, and unlikely to make me rich, but it'll be good to interact with adult humans for a change! You're quite right, by the way, a tomato is a berry, as are aubergines and cucumbers. Don't think I'd make wine out of any of them, though!

Chuff, it's windy now. 

Cheers @dizzymoo

Anyone been to Beatherder? I fancy a shorter festival next year and take the family too. Sorry, my bird brain is flitting on to anything that will distract from Winter coming on.

Been to the last couple of beatherders and am going again next year. Top weekend with a sense of humour. Quite heavy on dance and spangled kids but never any hassle and is quality through and through. Read Sean's reviews for the last couple of years to get a taste.

1 hour ago, pilton digger said:

Been to the last couple of beatherders and am going again next year. Top weekend with a sense of humour. Quite heavy on dance and spangled kids but never any hassle and is quality through and through. Read Sean's reviews for the last couple of years to get a taste.

Cheers, I'll read the reviews.

Morning all! 

Apologies for my absence, I am a busy bee! Phew! 

We escaped damage from Ophelia yesterday, we had The Sky which was very odd, but no real winds to speak of. Only what happened after there were baked beans as part of dinner in the Ginger Household! Ha! 

Nice to see everyone still popping in to say hi, so HI to everyone! 

Afternoon everyone, I'm working up at Inverness Airport for the next couple of weeks (IT Stuff) - was expecting it to be a bit "blowy" yesterday PM/evening but nothing more than usual, Ophelia must have blown her self out (0_0) by the time she got up here.

But it didn't half get dark in the afternoon - I assume that happened everywhere (don't really keep up with the news much)

Feeling sad about Sean Hughes though....makes me want to post this as I still think its hilarious (stolen from twitter, not my mate)

Sean Hughes dog once barked at my mate...
Sean: "Don't mind him, he always barks at Goths"
Mate: "But I'm not a Goth"

Sean:"How's he to know? He's only a dog"

2 hours ago, pauladam said:

Afternoon everyone, I'm working up at Inverness Airport for the next couple of weeks (IT Stuff) - was expecting it to be a bit "blowy" yesterday PM/evening but nothing more than usual, Ophelia must have blown her self out (0_0) by the time she got up here.

But it didn't half get dark in the afternoon - I assume that happened everywhere (don't really keep up with the news much)

Feeling sad about Sean Hughes though....makes me want to post this as I still think its hilarious (stolen from twitter, not my mate)

Sean Hughes dog once barked at my mate...
Sean: "Don't mind him, he always barks at Goths"
Mate: "But I'm not a Goth"

Sean:"How's he to know? He's only a dog"

Yes it's very sad about Seany, I'm going to re-watch Sean's Show as soon as I get chance, I used to bloody love that! 

• Upvote 1

I met Sean Hughes in the pool room of a pub that should have been closed at that moment in time (It was about 3am, and the licensing laws were more draconian in them days, a didn't allow pubs to  go around the clock). Anyway, I nodded and said hello to him. He nodded and said hello back. He was drinking on his own. I was drinking on my own. I recognized that I was in the presence of a major piss head (and more than likely user of controlled 'medicines'). I'll eat my own shite if he didn't look back at me in the same way. There's no way he couldn't do so. The room was full of desperados. Everybody knew their place. 

Another strange thing happened that night. I was asked by this majorly out of his head bloke if I would mind holding my hand out, so that he could roll a joint. I dutifully obliged. So, there I was holding a long Rizzla with tobacco in it while this bloke sprinkled grass all over it, when two uniformed police officers walked through the door and straight in to us. They looked at what we were doing, and then just walked past us and up to the bar, where they were each immediately given two pints (on the house). Then they trotted off in to a corner, the bloke in front of me finished rolling his joint and lit it, I wandered off somewhere else, and everybody was happy. Turns out that the two coppers were on the beat, and just spent the entire time on duty visiting all the pub lock ins in the area ( I know this to be more than likely true, because they also walked in to another 'open' pub I was in at a later date, went up to the bar, were given a free drink, drank their free drink, and just fucked off again).

I also had a bright orange ski jacket stolen from me that night. I was that pissed at one point that I thought I'd throw some shapes on the four foot square dance floor in the room that was holding a disco. So, I stuffed my bright red coat down the back of a fruit machine, walked on to the dance floor, and gave it my all. Don't laugh. You know that you have been there too. 

As an aside, but slightly linked with the above paragraph, I was once (at a totally different time and location than the above incident) told (by many a laughing person) about my 'performance' in the pub the night before. Apparently I'd been rave like dancing (on my own) to the music that was coming out of the fruit machine, in a bar that doesn't play music.

It's a good job I'm better now.

25 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

As an aside, but slightly linked with the above paragraph, I was once (at a totally different time and location than the above incident) told (by many a laughing person) about my 'performance' in the pub the night before. Apparently I'd been rave like dancing (on my own) to the music that was coming out of the fruit machine, in a bar that doesn't play music.

It's a good job I'm better now.

You, sir, are a legend! :)

I can (vaguely) recall a similar episode that happened to me one year at Glasto. The year is a little bit hazy, but I think it was probably 2014, as that's the only time I've been solo, and I don't remember having to endure any withering looks of pity and embarrassment the next morning. It may well have been on my way back to my tent after the efests meet. I was ambling through the market areas, somewhere between William's Green and Pyramid, I think, when I heard what sounded to me like some catchy electro tune. I paused, to let my brain absorb it, and found my limbs moving in time, so I went with it. As I was a little worse for wear, it wasn't long before I needed to pause and get my breath back, and that's when I noticed the refuse truck reversing behind me. 

41 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

You, sir, are a legend! :)

I can (vaguely) recall a similar episode that happened to me one year at Glasto. The year is a little bit hazy, but I think it was probably 2014, as that's the only time I've been solo, and I don't remember having to endure any withering looks of pity and embarrassment the next morning. It may well have been on my way back to my tent after the efests meet. I was ambling through the market areas, somewhere between William's Green and Pyramid, I think, when I heard what sounded to me like some catchy electro tune. I paused, to let my brain absorb it, and found my limbs moving in time, so I went with it. As I was a little worse for wear, it wasn't long before I needed to pause and get my breath back, and that's when I noticed the refuse truck reversing behind me. 

Just spat out some of my pint at that last line!!! (Currently licking the table as that would just be a waste)