NFR NFC - to tide you over the fallow year

fatyeti24

8 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

Why thank you :).

However, how on earth can that joke be made long? It's like stretching out a knock knock joke. I'd love to hear the long version to see what I'm missing!

It's a dangerous road.  I have a similar joke about a purple king.  I've seen people lose their shit at the end because they waited so long for a terrible punchline.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Thanks to all of you who have graced my table with your company. It was the people around the table that made it what it was. Table now in a permanent new home near Henley. 

As Ste said as we drove away "It feels like a "bereavement" 

Noooooo!!!!!!

44 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Thanks to all of you who have graced my table with your company. It was the people around the table that made it what it was. Table now in a permanent new home near Henley. 

As Ste said as we drove away "It feels like a bereavement" .

:o

34 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Does anyone know the joke about a black and white knight on a black and white horse?

Been told once, told it once

2 hours ago, Quark said:

It's a dangerous road.  I have a similar joke about a purple king.  I've seen people lose their shit at the end because they waited so long for a terrible punchline.

Much respect :D I love shaggy dog stories and a good groan but I try and restrain myself now. Got a few that are long enough for some suffering, but no drinks thrown

7 hours ago, frostypaw said:

Much respect :D I love shaggy dog stories and a good groan but I try and restrain myself now. Got a few that are long enough for some suffering, but no drinks thrown

A friend of mine told it at a BBQ many years ago.  Another friend sat opposite him, who he had never met, let him finish the joke, finished his cigarette, placed his drink on the floor, and then launched himself at full stretch across the patio at him.  The garden chair he was sat on never stood a chance

13 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

As Ste said as we drove away "It feels like a bereavement" .

Oh no :( Sad it's gone but glad it's found a good home.

Apologies for not coming for the 2 log candles I ordered, I honestly can't remember why I did't, hope it wasn't a problem. I can pay for them if I left you out of pocket? 

2 hours ago, naughtygeorgie said:

Morning :bye:

Just setting off for Latitude for festival fun in the sun...hopefully sun :)

Have a fab weekend everyone :D

Have a great time NG.  I've enjoyed Latitude in previous years but couldn't get excited about the line up this year.  The comedy there is top notch though, unlike at Glastonbury where (with a few exceptions) it was embarrassingly bad this year.

While my counselling workload has suddenly increased (admittedly from a low baseline), the offspring are lounging around. Youngest doesn't have much to do before his GCSE results, but eldest is meant to be researching alternatives to uni as he hasn't enjoyed the abstract elements of his maths course and doesn't see the point in spending a lot of money to continue (he's been told his first year won't count towards another degree course, even a maths-related one).  Computer coding was the part he did enjoy.  I know some of you lovely people are IT bods - any advice?

Happy Thursday y'all.

5 hours ago, dizzymoo said:

Computer coding was the part he did enjoy.  I know some of you lovely people are IT bods - any advice?

Happy Thursday y'all.

As I see it, coding either is a track of upgrading techie skills to the next system or software, or it can have parallel tracks of management or consultancy - the buzzphrase of 'adding value', so does he fancy the ongoing upskilling on the front line or software knowledge and conversations - I mean this tongue in cheek, but from working in the public sector for years, I've seen contractors come in to work on new systems and train employees up, with quick turnovers as staff take over, as well as others who help with more strategy as well as using their techie knowledge. That's maybe not answering your question, but that's the job route I've seen.

I'm not knocking the front line techie but just highlighting that it's not a static position. Some people I've worked with think the future is getting kids into coding younger and systems are more about mobile phones than servers (although I know the data, IDs etc are held there), so that may guide him looking at where he wants to go, more dispersed software.

6 hours ago, dizzymoo said:

Have a great time NG.  I've enjoyed Latitude in previous years but couldn't get excited about the line up this year.  The comedy there is top notch though, unlike at Glastonbury where (with a few exceptions) it was embarrassingly bad this year.

While my counselling workload has suddenly increased (admittedly from a low baseline), the offspring are lounging around. Youngest doesn't have much to do before his GCSE results, but eldest is meant to be researching alternatives to uni as he hasn't enjoyed the abstract elements of his maths course and doesn't see the point in spending a lot of money to continue (he's been told his first year won't count towards another degree course, even a maths-related one).  Computer coding was the part he did enjoy.  I know some of you lovely people are IT bods - any advice?

Happy Thursday y'all.

Interesting he likes coding, but not the abstract element of maths. As a coder, things can get very abstract and most of the successful programmers I've met revel in that. 

There may be a career in IT for him, but not necessarily in coding. Maybe more of the network infrastructure/hardware side might be more appealing. It's still working with computers, but less abstract.

I'd second what Stuart says there - proper coding is very abstract and maths based, or very pedestrian and just stringing other people's bits together.

The infrastructure bit can become a game of catch-up at times, but generally organisations don't move fast and it's not a race while still involving a lot of organised thought and process cleverness that can provide a nice kick.

53 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

I'd second what Stuart says there - proper coding is very abstract and maths based, or very pedestrian and just stringing other people's bits together.

The infrastructure bit can become a game of catch-up at times, but generally organisations don't move fast and it's not a race while still involving a lot of organised thought and process cleverness that can provide a nice kick.

I'm no techie, but thats pretty much how I've always imagined coding to be. 

Have spent the evening up at the allotment. It's looking ok at the moment. I've been harvesting early potatoes for three or four weeks now and the peas and french beans are nearly ready. The mixture of green and purple pods looks really attractive. Garlic has been a bit of a failure. All had quite small cloves but will hopefully taste ok. Parsnips, carrots. sweetcorn and beetroot are all doing well as are the brassicas (apart from the broccoli which have all bolted). Sweet potatoes are ok but I think I may have planted them too late. Will be harvesting onions this weekend for storage. 

I'm growing all my salad crops at home. Heritage tomatoes and cucumbers are looking good. Not so sure about the aubergines but time will tell. Have several different types of lettuce and salad leaves on the go. It's so nice to just go out and pick what we need.

More planting this weekend :)

Edited by Ommadawn

58 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Have spent the evening up at the allotment. It's looking ok at the moment. I've been harvesting early potatoes for three or four weeks now and the peas and french beans are nearly ready. The mixture of green and purple pods looks really attractive. Garlic has been a bit of a failure. All had quite small cloves but will hopefully taste ok. Parsnips, carrots. sweetcorn and beetroot are all doing well as are the brassicas (apart from the broccoli which have all bolted). Sweet potatoes are ok but I think I may have planted them too late. Will be harvesting onions this weekend for storage. 

I'm growing all my salad crops at home. Heritage tomatoes and cucumbers are looking good. Not so sure about the aubergines but time will tell. Have several different types of lettuce and salad leaves on the go. It's so nice to just go out and pick what we need.

More planting this weekend :)

I'm impressed! The only food we grow is raspberries, which mostly look after themselves. Home grown tomatoes are so much better than anything you can buy in the shops. My parents used to grow them, and the glut would coincide with me heading back to uni in September. I'd be given a huge bag of green tomatoes with a few red ones to encourage the others. Every windowsill in our student house would be filled with ripening tomatoes. Happy days.