2018 - quote from Michael

matt2007

I have now heard from three different sources including Radio 1 that Michael has said that if he can get a certain band then there may be a festival next year. Not sure how true this is but it came from the man himself. Anyone else heard this?

did he say it? yes.

will it happen? no.

headline size acts are already booked for next summer's festivals and even with Glastonbury occasionally not getting headliners fully sorted until the new year, they'd be in talks with some for next year if it was happening (not to mention the many touring international acts who will be beginning to plan next summer's tours soon).

they can't just up and book 2 other headliners and a load of international acts at the drop of a hat if whatever band Michael may or may not be thinking of decides to reform, not to mention all the other staffing and organisational issues that come with planning Glastonbury.

chalk it down to Michael once again talking nonsense.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

just can't see how it's possible. Everyone is stood down for next year and will already have lined up other things (that all probably pay better, too).

True. I wasn't even thinking of the fact that the 2018 tickets would have to go on sale in 12 weeks so all would have to be confirmed by then.

Defo not happening then. 

1 hour ago, Thunderstruck said:

I never trust anything he says :P - maybe if he's talking about fleetwood mac then I can understand as they are touring next year...if Emily says anything about it I'll be more excited. 

59 minutes ago, SighMo said:

Sometimes they both talk too much. 

Absolutely.  I know that Michael is generally more known for stretching the truth, but I'm going to take a massive shovelful of salt before I believe anything from Emily "twice as many bands" Eavis again!  That whopper was way up there with anything her dad has ever said.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Can't see this happening at all, not down to the band in question but just down to keeping the farm in good shape

I, sadly, was unsuccessful in tickets this year and would love nothing more that the festival be on next year, but they announced the 2018 fallow year a long, long time ago (after last years festival?) and I imagine have already got their other business ventures in place prior to this years festival so cant see the Eavii going back on that if Oasis (;):P) reform

Edited by pentura

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Absolutely.  I know that Michael is generally more known for stretching the truth, but I'm going to take a massive shovelful of salt before I believe anything from Emily "twice as many bands" Eavis again!  That whopper was way up there with anything her dad has ever said.

And the big 'Secret'. Think they probably manoeuvred the Killers into that throwaway quote but wished they'd never said anything. 

13 minutes ago, SighMo said:

And the big 'Secret'. Think they probably manoeuvred the Killers into that throwaway quote but wished they'd never said anything. 

I'm going to give her that one actually. A former headliner who are still popular playing in the middle of the day in the 4th/5th biggest stage? That's big. And they really weren't on anyone's radar at the time. I certainly didn't have them as my first choice for that slot until a couple of days into the festival.

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm going to give her that one actually. A former headliner who are still popular playing in the middle of the day in the 4th/5th biggest stage? That's big. And they really weren't on anyone's radar at the time. I certainly didn't have them as my first choice for that slot until a couple of days into the festival.

Yeah... bearing in mind 2 of the three TBAs were a former headliner and a former sub-headliner, I think it's fair enough for her to say it. A few people on here just get WAY too over-excited...

33 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I agree it was a great coup in the end but the way it was put, plenty got over excited and expected something on the level of Liam and Noel making up. I was one of the lucky one who managed to get into the JP tent for Killers and it was certainly memorable. Stayed put in JP until the end for a great evening.