What do we do now!!??

Matt42

Okay so the blues have fully hit me today

Radiohead have headlined the Pyramid again, something I thought I never was going to see at one point

There is no festival next year, I am back to work today so it's back to reality.
The festival illness is creeping in...
A sudden realisation that there are very few bands left on my list of favourites I'm yet to see... and I have no idea where my life is gonna be in 2019, I'll have graduated and the blanket of University will be gone.

I don't even know if there's a 'Radiohead' type act i'm dying for to play in the future... seems all too much like an end of an era! I'm gonna have to jump onto the led zeppelin or floyd reunion bandwagon I think...

Anyone else like me feeling a bit lost after this festival? Moreso than any other years? 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, liamium said:

definitely feeling it more than previous years. this one was just really special and fun and easy. everything aligned perfectly.

floundering today. the world looks grey and harsh and unfriendly. glastonbury is 2 years away.

coming back to london in the pissing rain yesterday did not help. If I even hear a second of fake plastic trees I just break down

5 minutes ago, Gozzynoko-Flow said:

Thinking similar today, especially as I've come down with a bit of a sore throat and achy bones, I suspect the excesses of the weekend caught up with me finally.

I guess look at 2018 as an opportunity, give another festival a chance? I know nothing compares but you know...

I'm supposed to be going to Kendal Calling and Boomtown this year but I'm seriously considering sacking them off because I know they won't compare 

Aye after the dredge and slog of last year I was somewhat happy to be back home. This year was a total joy, moreso than any festival I've ever been to. I could've done the whole thing all over again, and the two year wait until the next one seems like forever. And likewise on the 'who is there to even look forward to?' front. Feel blue. Feel worn out. And found out my holidays at work fucked up so I've gotta go back tomorrow instead of having a full week off.

BUT on the other hand, no October sale (and then April resale) to worry about/crushing disappointment when/if we don't get tickets, and hoping to try out one or two other festivals or even just have a holiday in it's place. Obviously nothing compares to Glastonbury, but damn will it feel good to be back in '19.

2 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I'm considering volunteering for Oxfam for a festival next year, perhaps Womad or Boomtown, so there's no real comparison with Glastonbury and gives me a better in for Glasto2019 should there be a ticket day disaster.

Also, most likely return to Bearded Theory 2018.

That's a great idea, I think I'll do the same 

I have KoL in Hyde Park in a couple of weeks and then Foals at Citadel fest to keep my spirits up.

Off travelling for a year with my one way flight booked November the first.. Its going to be the most memorable 2 years of my life hopefully!

46 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don't even know if there's a 'Radiohead' type act i'm dying for to play in the future... seems all too much like an end of an era! I'm gonna have to jump onto the led zeppelin or floyd reunion bandwagon I think...

As I've got older this is more and more the case. Think you get an emotional attachment to bands you love in your teens, approaching 40 now, and the likelihood of seeing too many of them headline Glastonbury again are slim. (Which is why it was particularly gutting to miss RH this year). I think Blur were the last ones before that I was really, really passionate about. I love loads of new music, but none as much those from the ages say 15-21 ish.

I wish I knew about these threads in 2015! I had serious glasto Blues then which lasted well into August. Don't have an awnser to your question though - although ticket prices are always abit of a last minute scramble for me so I might use the extra time to save up in small doses!

We had such a blast this year at glasto, a group of around 40 of us from Uni (we first went together in 2009), so good to have a place we can all see each other for a week long party and the blues are well an truly setting in now.

We agreed over the weekend that we would all look at doing a weekend away somewhere in October to give us something to look forward to :) 

Feel like absolute shit. Back at home where none of my friends live anymore. Missing everyone I went to Glasto with and friends I met there. Back to my dull af job tomorrow for a 10 hour shift. No Glasto for two years. Keep talking to Glasto friends who I only meet up with when I'm there and who I'm missing loads and know I probably won't see for two years. Every time a song from the festival comes into my head I want to cry. Checked my bank balance last night and realised I'm absolutely fucked and can't spend another penny before September so I can't do anything nice to ease the shitty feelings or even travel to see any friends. Got asked to play 5 a side tonight by my old boss but I'm so sunburnt and emotional I think I'd actually keel over in tears if something touched me.

Even the thought of seeing Radiohead next week is just making me think about how much I miss Glastonbury :(

This post feels like an exaggeration but it's honestly how I'm feeling right now. Absolutely cba with everything. Think I'm gonna go to Tesco to be around people/noise.

The secret is to always have something to look forward to. I'll be in Spain at a friends apartment 3 weeks today so that's helped my blues massively this year.

I was particularly depressed yesterday when someone reminded me that this year was my last Glastonbury in my 20's! I hope I can still do it in my 30's, roll on 2019 so I can find out.

1 big plus point is it's 7 days holiday back for next year with which to try something new out - probably Sziget :) 

56 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Okay so the blues have fully hit me today

Radiohead have headlined the Pyramid again, something I thought I never was going to see at one point

There is no festival next year, I am back to work today so it's back to reality.
The festival illness is creeping in...
A sudden realisation that there are very few bands left on my list of favourites I'm yet to see... and I have no idea where my life is gonna be in 2019, I'll have graduated and the blanket of University will be gone.

Anyone else like me feeling a bit lost after this festival? Moreso than any other years? 

Imperative that you stay away from tall buildings! You sound on the brink! 

Seriously though, my advice is to get some things booked up so that you have something to look forward to. Gigs, weekend breaks etc. Doesn't have to cost much, new bands and cheap bus rides to new places means new discoveries.

The post-University thing took me ages to get my head around, it was a very special time in my life, that I still look back on with much fondness 15 years later. You'll find your way in a career you love and things will change, but that doesn't mean they need to change for the worse. You'll likely have more money to follow your passions and go to even more festivals! 

Most importantly Glasto isn't going anywhere just yet. If and when it does you'll be able say you were a big part of something truly special. 

Today may seem shit, but tomorrow will be better my man. 

Blues for me too.  Spent a week with a friend I see once a year and now in a weatherspoons pub in Portsmouth.  Looking around at people thinking I wonder if you know just how good glasto is. Real life is shit in hindsight sometimes. Supposed to log into work ftom home today.  Hmmmmm. Had a row with the missus last night. She was fumin I went to glasto.  Long story we are in a long distance relationship.  Apparently I've come back all chopsy. I'm just tired pissed off I'm back in the real world and pissed off she's wants to stop me going somewhere i love. She just doesn't get it. I'd never do that to her

Only bonus I'm going to go and upgrade to an S8 plus shortly at 02. Had my edge 7 nicked last year and promised myself id bin the note 4 after glasto and upgrade

Real life shit though innit just get me back to the healing fields where people understand you and like minded people want to talk about stuff that isn't just mundane bollocks

Anyway I'm pissed rambling and will prolly cry if I carry on so I'll just leave it there supposed to be out for a curry tonight with friends so I best go home and sleep it off and go out and try and enjoy myself. 

an opportunity to try other festivals next year I would say! there are plenty of them both home and abroad, and almost all of them are less of a slog than glastonbury is where you can move between stages very quickly! you just need to round up your mates and get ppl to agree to go to the same one!

I am considering going to Riot Fest over in Chicago next year, as no glasto will free up funds.

Still got Bluedot and Lost village to come this year too, plus you can bet that another festival will come with a huge lineup next year with no glastonbury. Abroad you have choices of so many, Primavera and Sonar being big hitters with the bonus of a trip to the glorious city of barcelona.

The world is your oyster!

Feeling it worse than ever today. A combo of post-Glasto blues and extreme uncertainty about where my life is heading careerwise and familywise isn't helping. Glasto was all I was looking forward to but, aside from a few gigs, there's not much else on the horizon, and very little money to make that change. And my throat's fucked after spending all weekend singing and laughing. I hate that there's no festival for another two years.

Echo the thoughts of many others in here, going to try a few new festivals next year. Although, as Noel G said in Williams Green on Friday evening, Glastonbury is the only true festival, the others are just big gigs in fields.

Two years. TWO Years!! I can't get my head round it.