VPN for iPlayer

Watergirl

I now want to go and watch what I missed.  In the past I have used Tunnelbear with the BBC iPlayer, to get around the UK-only-viewing restriction, but last year that wasn't working terribly well.   Clips just kept buffering.  Does anyone have any good recommendations what to use to be able to watch the iPlayer from abroad?  Many thanks!

8 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I use Tunnelbear all year round. Occasionally there's a problem, but they're normally shit hot at releasing an update to sort it. Best $4.99 I spend a month

I've the free one so am expecting a problem here and there but so far so good.

PureVPN apparently the best paid option about at the moment. Or so I hear. 

Edited by The Nal

31 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Another vote for PureVPN here. I got a 5 device licence in a recent sale specifically to watch iPlayer from abroad when on holiday etc. The iPlayer recent updates now preclude a lot of VPNs, but within 5 minutes of contacting support, I got the settings to get connected without issue on laptop, tablets work still without those settings. However, some open hotspots don't like pureVPN.

6 hours ago, The Nal said:

I can vouch for Tunnel Bear and works across all platforms.  The free version can be boosted by tweeting or something like that.

Thanks all for the replies. I decided to give Tunnelbear another go, with some success. Am now watching Margo Price (brilliant!) but it is stops and starts. Can watch about ten minutes at the time before the buffering starts and I have to close and restart.  I managed to get it working on my five year old Mac.  

Also tried on my iPad, which is only a year and a bit old, and thought that might work better, but on there once I switch the Tunnelbear on the iPlayer home page won't even load....

Any tips from technical folks who can explain for dummies?