New Experiences

BlackHole2006

2017 was arguably a vintage year.

What new things did you do this year that you didn't manage to in previous editions of the festival? 

I tried MD for the first time and stayed up until sunrise on Saturday night. I've always wanted to pull a 6am but never wanted to take pills but Saturday night was so perfect it just felt like the right time to try it. Had an incredible evening and really enjoyed seeing the sun come up at the Stone Circle. Only problem was that Sunday night was a write off, I was so knackered that I spent the whole morning/afternoon sleeping in front of a stage in the Circus Fields. Saying that I'm definitely willing to experiment with other substances in 2019.

Spent so much more time in the late night areas this year. I think it was 4-6am finishes Thurs-Sat. Really enjoyed The Temple, Block 9, Genosys and Arcadia (couldn't get into NYC Downlow). 

As a result I missed out on a lot of bands earlier in the day (King Gizz the major one I didn't get to) but you can't have it all! 

Also mooched around The Green Fields and T and C fields a lot more. Perfect places to get your head back in the game after a late one! 

Went in the circus big top

Watched Mik Artistik

Watched Hobo Jones and the Junkyard Dogs

Visited the stone dragon

Had a Greenpeace shower (don't know why I hadn't expected a big communal shower, but I can honestly say I did not expect to see that many penises this year)

Went to a Leftfield panel

Went to the Speaker's Forum

Watched a couple of demonstration workshops in the craft field

Efests meet

Actually ticked off quite a lot this year!

51 minutes ago, themuel said:

The dark room in NYC Downlow... 

And only having 8 hours sleep between Thursday morning and Monday night. Without any alcohol or drugs! 

I found the darkroom too. Turned around pretty sharpish when I clocked what was going on!!!

spent a bit of time in the beat hotel which id never done before, mainly because on the Wednesday our group used it to hide from the sun and we used it as an easy meeting place on other occasions. was pleasantly surprised to hear decent tunes while supping our drinks, for some reason id always thought it was heavy dance in there but Wednesday for instance they had a lot of reggae going and it was the perfect atmosphere for a sunny day

I watched a politician speak.  This wasn't planned at all.  I was at Leftfield for the Roundup as I wanted to see Steve Knightley.  Thought Jeremy Corbyn had been on at 12, as was the original plan.  I don't have a smartphone.

Realized then that JC was going to come on after the roundup (which was lovely by the way, also featuring Louisa from She Drew The Gun, and Ralph McTell) and thought I might as well stay.  Ended up on the barrier for the talk.  Definitely a first for me.

Went to The Underground Piano Bar for the first time ever on Saturday night. Very impressive structure, not so sure about the entertainment.

Saw a gazillion seagulls feasting on William's Green at 5 in the morning (*I* blame the TV coverage for making the festival so popular with them - I don't remember seagulls in the 1990s).

Washed my hair at Glastonbury Festival for the first time ever, been going since 1994. It was Monday morning, my hair had gone Wurzel Gummidge like, & I was supposed to meet a civilian friend in Bristol for lunch. She cancelled as I got on the bus - sigh

Went up to the Glastonbury sign for the first time ever - it's patchwork know.

Finally got to see Prof Alice Roberts in the Crow's nest. 3 years ago....I forgot. 2 years ago, she clashed with Patti Smith. Last year I left the Pyramid Stage an hour b4 her 3 pm talk, slogged 3/4 of an hour on muddy slow-moving tracks to the Crow's Nest, only to find she'd finished precisely as I arrived. Her talk had been put back an hour - arrrgh.

Had no smoke but passive smoke - sob.

Found the stone dragon.

Went up the ribbon tower

Saw Mik Artistik

Didn't see any Pyramid or Other or John Peel headliners

Went on my own - thanks to the Camp Solo crew for making everything so enjoyable

Went to Power Ballad Yoga - what an experience!

Found the Masons Arms

But failed to go to the Woods which I completely forgot about - can I go back to last week to put that right?

I can't believe how quickly the time went - I seemed to be going through the days at double speed. Where did the time go?

1 minute ago, Beerqueen said:

Found the stone dragon.

Went up the ribbon tower

Saw Mik Artistik

Didn't see any Pyramid or Other or John Peel headliners

Went on my own - thanks to the Camp Solo crew for making everything so enjoyable

Went to Power Ballad Yoga - what an experience!

Found the Masons Arms

But failed to go to the Woods which I completely forgot about - can I go back to last week to put that right?

I can't believe how quickly the time went - I seemed to be going through the days at double speed. Where did the time go?

Was there a girl in Camp Solo called Vicky wearing lots of sparkly silver clothes?

1 minute ago, mattrik3 said:

:D I promise I'm not. Met her at the big disco ball on Saturday night and really enjoyed her company but lost each other near the truth stage on Sunday morning 

Awwwww, fucking hell. Nightmare:(. Well, hopefully I'm sure if she's on the boards she'll make herself known.........VICKY?!?!?

Managed to do a full festival including some later nights with no drugs, only alcohol. Generally got back at around 4 every night. The cloudy mornings were a godsend for me. 

Feels good to not have a come down after a festival for the first time in a while aswell. 

This was only my 2nd glasto so (first being last year's mud fest) so i actually ticked off a lot. 

Stone dragon, stone circle, fireworks, saw someone at the park and the gully and west holts. Didn't actually finish with a pyramid headliner at all! Went to the temple and the truth stage and about a zillion other stages in SE corner. Spent a night in Silver Hayes Area. Saw the craft fields.

I really feel like I got around the whole site this year, and actually managed to have some relaxing days. Still haven't seen the wood, and haven't been in the piano bar (but I definitely know where at least last year's location was...has it actually moved?) 

2019 is too far away. 

I went to left field for the first time.  Saw Clive Lewis' segment, thought it was great for the passionate response, but didn't really say anything particularly interesting/new.  Anyone who reads the news could guess what each guest would say.  May go back if nothing else is on, but don't think I'll go out of my way to see it.

Spent a night up in Strummerville on Friday.  My friend had overdone it, so we took her back to her camp in Worthy View and thought Strummerville was the most convenient place to rest for a bit... then we didn't leave.  Met some great folk and really enjoyed it.

Chose to hang out with friends instead of seeing bands on Saturday.  In some ways it was really fun, but in others I felt like I wasn't getting my money's worth and missed out some bands I really wanted to see.  On Sunday I went out on my own and caught up with friends at the sub-headliner which was a decent compromise (especially as we're up all night anyway).  Would definitely do it again.

AND thanks to the weather, I managed to do the party all night, sleep for 5 hours and get back to it thing for the second time ever.  I did have early nights on Wednesday and Thursday due to dehydration headaches though (even though I drank 4 litres of water on Wednesday!!!).

Pretty much skipped Shangri-La this year too!  Was meant to go on Sunday, but had an anxiety attack where loud noises really scared me (...substance-related).  My friends tried to ake me in thinking I would acclimatise to the music once inside, but it wasn't happening.  That wasn't such a pleasant experience, but can't say I missed it.  But in all fairness, I think there is FINALLY enough things going on late night elsewhere to negate the need to experience the crush.  It was my friends' first year so they obviously wanted to see it, but hoping they'll not be so bothered next time.  The Glade, Greenpeace and Acardia were more fun with better music.

Edited by fowls

This was the first time in ages (ever at Glastonbury) that I didn't get horrendously drunk all the time and I felt all the better for it (and didn't forget about half the sets I saw)! Not intentionally, mind - somehow managed to drink almost all of my spirits on the Wednesday/Thursday so by the time the bands were on I was rationing drink. Got really high and then later wired instead. Made each morning much easier to cope with in contrast to feeling like absolute shite for the majority of the daytime acts last year.