Charli XCX - one of us

Amy Lawn

Bumping this back up as GeezLouise can't make the rearranged date in Brighton tomorrow. 

So, Charli XCX ticket at Concorde 2 in Brighton on Friday 2nd Sep as part of Revive Alive up for grabs, £30 face value. They're refunding if people can't make the new date but would rather it went to someone!

On 8/19/2022 at 3:57 PM, Matt42 said:

Seeing she’s ended up with a subheadline position at R&L. Pretty big slot for her.

Wonder if the next time she comes to the farm it will be headlining the Other Stage?

As someone casually watching her performance at R&L shouldn’t the Other Stage headliner be a singer?

She might be a good performer/dancer. What she definitely doesn’t do is sing live. 

5 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

As someone casually watching her performance at R&L shouldn’t the Other Stage headliner be a singer?

She might be a good performer/dancer. What she definitely doesn’t do is sing live. 

She was still singing a fair amount when I saw her headline the John Peel Stage, but a difficulty with such a high energy performance is she isn't able to vocalise the way she can on record. But also, if acts like Megan Thee Stallion can do what they did as headliners then I'm sure Charli can...

9 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

It sucks because before this tour she didn't do the dance routines and everything. She performed live and it was so much better. She does go through phases, so hopefully this is her 'pop star' phase and she's going to go back to performing live next tour 🤞

10 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Yeah but is that singer an icon? They need to be iconic.

57 minutes ago, K2SO said:

It sucks because before this tour she didn't do the dance routines and everything. She performed live and it was so much better. She does go through phases, so hopefully this is her 'pop star' phase and she's going to go back to performing live next tour 🤞

I've never seen such a contrast with the same artist in such a short period as with her in 2015 and 2022 on the same stage.

24 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

She’s just a generic pop act, miming in front of a backing track and occasionally shouting at the crowd. 

I agree her miming is a bit weird considering she is a good singer, but her music bangs so hard I literally don’t care. She’s makes (without a doubt) some of the best pop music out there.

I haven't seen her live yet but I've had loads of opportunities to over the years, I just get close to it and I'm like, nah. I'm seeing her at Forwards in Bristol this weekend for definite though. I think I read a few years ago they her vocals are basically shot. She's not even THAT great vocally on record, but she does make bangers and forward thinking pop (not looking at you Crash) so who cares.

2 hours ago, baggie92 said:

She was comfortably the worst act I saw at Reading this year, the miming wasn’t even subtle. 

I saw her at APE and she was bloody awful. Good material, terrible execution . 

On 9/1/2022 at 9:04 PM, efcfanwirral said:

I've never seen such a contrast with the same artist in such a short period as with her in 2015 and 2022 on the same stage.

The contrast between Reading on Sunday and last night in Brighton was insane. She performed live last night and did a bunch of older/rarer songs and she sounded great

5 hours ago, K2SO said:

The contrast between Reading on Sunday and last night in Brighton was insane. She performed live last night and did a bunch of older/rarer songs and she sounded great

Mrs Q was there with her niece, enjoyed it but I think she was looking forward to the newer stuff rather than the old ones! Said she was decent though 

On 9/3/2022 at 10:35 AM, Quark said:

Mrs Q was there with her niece, enjoyed it but I think she was looking forward to the newer stuff rather than the old ones! Said she was decent though 

Yeah I had a hunch she was going to do a bit of a retro set. Seems like a lot of people went for the new stuff but can't say that we didn't have a great time hearing a bunch of songs we'd never seen live before!

On 9/1/2022 at 8:06 PM, K2SO said:

Yeah she had a band and played live before. Was shocked by the BBC footage of her this year, talk about a change in direction!

Understand it was a relatively thrown together thing for R+L, so willing to give her a bit of a pass.

But among the most dismal things I caught this year. Crowd mostly seemed indifferent - though certainly bigger than for Run the Jewels, who were great but died on their arse with those assembled.

7 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Understand it was a relatively thrown together thing for R+L, so willing to give her a bit of a pass.

But among the most dismal things I caught this year. Crowd mostly seemed indifferent - though certainly bigger than for Run the Jewels, who were great but died on their arse with those assembled.

Forwards set was the same and she was billed on there for months, with the festival really pushing her on the advertising. 

Definitely gonna avoid her now unless there is a significant change in her live set, like a band or something. Probs not gonna happen now though as she'd rather splurge the budget on backing dancers and then mime 

7 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Why was it thrown together for r+l? 

11 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Forwards set was the same and she was billed on there for months, with the festival really pushing her on the advertising. 

Definitely gonna avoid her now unless there is a significant change in her live set, like a band or something. Probs not gonna happen now though as she'd rather splurge the budget on backing dancers and then mime 

Thought she was having a bad day at APE based on previous reviews but it seems she can’t pull off that kind of show? 

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Why was it thrown together for r+l? 

Thought she was having a bad day at APE based on previous reviews but it seems she can’t pull off that kind of show? 

Yeah I think that era of her career is in the past now, like I've said I think vocally live she is really bad hence the miming/yelped vocals.

Charli is known to go through stages and she's publicly said that she's having a 'pop star' era with Crash, and her label were pushing her towards pop.

Next time around she'll hopefully have something more like charli/HIFN to play at festivals so that she can play to her strengths.