St Vincent Tour

Futurism

• 3 months later...

Downloading the album now, can't wait to get stuck in. I've absolutely loved everything she's done so far, she's definitely one of the standouts of her generation. I've said that New York is a top tune from the beginning, she's one of the best songwriters going even without the guitar, and she's got one of the most eclectic and diverse musical palettes around so even if she does want to go pop she's going to do it better than 99.9% of other artists in the game. Very pissed off I can't go to her Manchester show next week though, I've seen her live 5 times now and I can never get bored of her.

Pleased with it. I think it's a bit spotty until Los Ageless has rounded off but after that it's pretty sublime - okay, NY is still what it is but it sounds much more palatable nestled in between great tracks. Definitely hasn't lost her weird side and if anything is steering into it, which allays the biggest worries I had.

On 14/10/2017 at 8:10 PM, ghostdancer1 said:

What makes matters worse is that the " premium package" is actually sold out in London and Manchester! 

2 hours ago, MattDavies__ said:

Intrigued by this now. She's got no band with her & appears to be doing a set of what I suppose you'd call hits followed by the new album. 

Twitter seems to think it was either very much a hit or very much a miss. 

I could definitely believe that. It seems poised between narcissism and brilliance, but it's good that someone's taking those risks I guess.

Carving up the set into chronological hits and then the album in full is pretty vulgar tho, definitely don't like that. However I suppose this is a whistle-stop album launch tour though and that'll be gone by the time she's next back.

Edited by dentalplan

Thoughts on last night:

It just didn't really feel like a St. Vincent gig - lack of crowd interaction, no band and all a bit too flat.

The chronological setlist didn't help the atmosphere and the fact that some of the old songs had been reworked and were unrecognisable didn't either. Actor, Birth In Reverse and Cheerleader were huge though.

New songs all sounded great and didn't seem to suffer from not having a live band as much (I had nothing to compare against, I guess).

Enjoyable enough overall - just nowhere near the heights of her previous gigs.

Been umming and ahhing over tonight's show but glad I decided to give it a miss. Could probably do with saving the money, especially if it's not a proper St Vincent show (even though hearing the album in full would've been ace). Guessing she'll be all over the festival circuit next year so will hopefully catch her then.

Goodness gracious MASSEDUCTION is absolutely brilliant. A proper album to dig into ( @FloorFiller sorry to steal your digging idea). A true modern artist, with some of the most fresh, innovative sounds out there. Can see my self definitely becoming more familiar with her music.     

Interesting to read an article comparing her to this decade's Prince. https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/10/st-vincent-may-be-this-decades-prince/

Los Ageless is a classic, great to hear the full production, after hearing cut back versions on Jools Holland and Lauren BB6 Music. But it's an album of very little weak parts. All tracks seem to have something different to offer. Hang on Me, Fear of the Future, Young Lovers and Smoking Section are greats at first listen.

Shame that the Brixton gig was a bit hit or miss. To be fair good artists are ones willing to take risks with live shows. Too many artists do the predictable at the moment without having the guts to do something genuinely interesting. 

just a question where about's do we reckon she'd be placed if she played 2019? Must be Other sub or Pyramid 3/4 down, she subbed Park in 2014, and can see her popularity by 2019 will be substantially more to push her to a similar slot on bigger stages than The Park. Mind you she'd need a full band, but could be seriously good act indeed.