How did "avoiding the politics" go?

DeanoL

On 28/06/2017 at 1:00 PM, frostypaw said:

but they should

Yes. Any policy should be challenged.

they're offensive and discriminatory

That is your opinion.  Which of course you are perfectly entitled to have, but please don't present it as a fact because it isn't.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Teddington said:

Do you honestly believe that the majority of people go to Glastonbury on account of politics?

I believe a very large amount of people go to Glastonbury in part because of its lax approach to drug possession enforcement and the ability to take you own drink into the entire festival, both policies that stem from Michael Eavis' political beliefs....

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I believe a very large amount of people go to Glastonbury in part because of its lax approach to drug possession enforcement and the ability to take you own drink into the entire festival, both policies that stem from Michael Eavis' political beliefs....

I'm sure you are right, but that wasn't the question.

I wonder what proportion of people go to Glasto on account of it's "left leaning" political origins?

My personal guess- 5% and that is being generous.

11 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

good point

Most of the people who have been going for many years formed an attachment to its left leaning political origins. Mind you - the music of my youth was often very left leaning anyway. I always had a great party at Glastonbury, but also loved that it felt like it mattered too.

My view is that it doesn't really matter how many people go there for its left wing political roots. The festival HAS left wing political roots, and those that don't like it need to live with it or go to one of the other festivals that doesn't.

The festival doesn't have to respond to any pleas for it to be either less political, or more politically balanced. 

1 minute ago, amfy said:

Most of the people who have been going for many years formed an attachment to its left leaning political origins. Mind you - the music of my youth was often very left leaning anyway. I always had a great party at Glastonbury, but also loved that it felt like it mattered too.

My view is that it doesn't really matter how many people go there for its left wing political roots. The festival HAS left wing political roots, and those that don't like it need to live with it or go to one of the other festivals that doesn't.

The festival doesn't have to respond to any pleas for it to be either less political, or more politically balanced. 

Of course it doesn't. 

Just as those who wish to criticise it's political nature don't.

TL:DR - I mainly went for the cider.

I just find the chanting of a politician very odd. By all means be a supporter of a person/party, but t-shirts and chants?!

Each to their own I guess. I personally wouldn't chant the name of any politician of any party throughout history. 

I spent some time in the Cabaret tent, always good fun and Tory-bashing a-plenty. Jeremy Hardy was particularly good.

I can't quite stomach the Leftfield tent, though it looked busy when I passed a few times.

My love of Glastonbury has always been that it's there if you want it, and it can be ignored or tolerated if not. I've had 7 wonderful festivals regardless. If it helps people discuss politics further, it serves a purpose beyond the music and entertainment.

6 hours ago, Teddington said:

Do you honestly believe that the majority of people go to Glastonbury on account of politics?

No, not at all. That's not what I'm saying.  

I'm saying that to go to a festival borne out of politics and complain about encountering it there is a bit silly.

There are many festivals available that won't mention the P word all weekend. Glastonbury isn't, and never has been, one of them. 

5 hours ago, Teddington said:

I'm sure you are right, but that wasn't the question.

I wonder what proportion of people go to Glasto on account of it's "left leaning" political origins?

My personal guess- 5% and that is being generous.

But those left-leaning origins directly inform many of the policies that people cite as major reasons for going to the festival.

Equally just because people don't go *for* the politics doesn't mean it isn't part of the appeal. Very few people go to Glastonbury for the circus, but many of us will enjoy a wonder through the circus field or catch the odd act. No-one goes to Glastonbury for the food but we get very excited about it and talk about it on here ad-nauseum for months. 

Saying you don't wish to engage in politics at the festival on a personal basis - fine.

Going to Glastonbury whilst being a Tory voter - fine (well as much as voting Tory can be)

Complaining about Glastonbury getting "too political" - makes you look like an ignorant moron who doesn't understand the festival one bit. The festival would be better off without you, and I wouldn't say this about people in the other two categories. 

43 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Saying you don't wish to engage in politics at the festival on a personal basis - fine.

Going to Glastonbury whilst being a Tory voter - fine (well as much as voting Tory can be)

Complaining about Glastonbury getting "too political" - makes you look like an ignorant moron who doesn't understand the festival one bit. The festival would be better off without you, and I wouldn't say this about people in the other two categories. 

I agree with your first two points.

Replace the word "complaining" to  the phrase "having the opinion that", and it takes on a whole new meaning.

Nothing stays the same, everything has a beginning, evolves and has an end.

Glastonbury is no exception.

Edited by Teddington

Just now, Teddington said:

I agree with your first two points.

Replace the word "complaining" to  the phrase "having the opinion that", and it takes on a whole new meaning.

Nothing stays the same, everything has a beginning, an end and evolves.  Glastonbury is no exception.

Nope, it still makes you an ignorant moron. The festival's politics are in its DNA. For the festival to "evolve" where this isn't a thing would make it just the same as V, Leeds or any other field where a bunch of popular bands play.

I'm a lifelong Labour voter but I can see there's things I enjoy which wouldn't be possible if it weren't for naked capitalism. You don't have to agree or participate in Glastonbury's politics to see that its left wing politics make it what it is. 

On 6/27/2017 at 11:29 AM, DeanoL said:

Not trying to start another political argument, just genuinely curious as a few people here had expressed a desire to avoid anything too political at the festival. From my perspective that was almost impossible this year as it seemed to be everywhere with a lot of bands commenting on it and random Corbyn chants breaking out everywhere... but my experience won't be the same as everyone else's.

I found avoiding politics easy, I just occupied myself with avoiding Katy Perry.:rofl:

7 hours ago, snorton82 said:

Avoided it well, other than people singing "Hang Theresa" at the Leftfield Stage on Saturday....I just put it down to typical lefty hatred and ignored it

All in all a politics free festival, which is how it should be

Ah yes, you've surely here (and throughout the thread) you've shown yourself as someone above political nastiness and squabbles, bravo.

Seriously though, when someone says they 'avoid politics' it usually screeches to me that they like giving opinions they disagree with a kicking, but when their views are questioned or challenged in some capacity they disregard the whole thing. You shouting about the left throughout this thread has shown your own opinion if only faintly, so I wonder why you think of yourself as an apolitical mastermind? Is it just that you think your own politics aren't politics because they're the 'right' way of thinking.

8 hours ago, snorton82 said:

Avoided it well, other than people singing "Hang Theresa" at the Leftfield Stage on Saturday....I just put it down to typical lefty hatred and ignored it

All in all a politics free festival, which is how it should be

You are literally an idiot. This festival wouldn't exist if it wasn't for left wing politics. It certainly wouldn't be the unique experience it is. 

I didn't find it political at all, mind I wasn't looking for it either.  Apart from discrepancies I found with some of the eco and vegan stands which was my choice to have a look at and question those who were telling  me what I should do but that is another story for another time.

I suppose the bands I saw I didn't hear any political messages but I suppose those who were well into it could read into some statements who knows.

If I hadn't been on these boards I would never have known it was a left wing based festival.. I know showing my ignorance.

It did frighten me a little before I went as I didn't want left wing politics or any politics thrust at my every turn and apart from having to listen to JC's speech at Other stage that's pretty much it.... I did feel JC missed an opportunity though if he was trying g to convert a few of us, he did come across as someone really enjoying the icon status which was a bit strange but nothing I couldn't handle .

I was there for a well earned break and apart from the physical problems I had it was nearly a political free festival for me 

Edited by babyblade41

Theres a few reasons i go, sure the atmosphere and music sre there, politics is a large part of it as is the green futures, green peace, block 9 and shangra la.

Most years since early 90s, originally as for the raves, which with large amount of travellers, ravers etc.. Came the criminal justice bill in 94. Which led to the protests and theres been g8s, road protest, community protests etc

My work is political, i work for a national childrens charity, third sector, have been my whole life.  Involved in community projects snd empowerment as well.

Since the fence went up i volunteer every year. Spend at least a full day in green futures, green peace etc. Find out whst all the campaigns are upto....

Is it only for politics i go... Maybe not, but its political. I think your under estimating the number of people there for politicss :)

Edited by garc1a