How did "avoiding the politics" go?

DeanoL

1 hour ago, frostypaw said:

Which is presumably why you'd see no point in challenging someone who thought black people were lesser sinners marked so by God and that women are just there to be slaves to men?

I think we can all agree those are pretty damn offensive and are views worth challenging - well so are the Tory philosophies that the so-called plebs and the great unwashed are less because of their idle lazy workshy natures and they don't deserve decent healthcare or housing if they're not willing to get the right jobs (or even worse the total numbskull assumption that just working hard is enough when it's flagrantly obvious that many low paid workers put in many more hard hours than lots of high wage earners)

Just because you're discriminating against people of the same colour and sex doesn't make it less offensive, less backwards perhaps, but it's still offensive and out of order and deserves to be addressed - if people are going to be all mardy and upset because treating others like shit is frowned on then tough titties

I don't think you've read my post properly 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, FrancisH said:

You know stereotyping a large group of people as aggressive, without actually knowing any of them, is not very tolerant either, right? I mean just so the hypocrisy of this comment is super clear.

Intolerance =/= aggression 

18 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

I don't think you've read my post properly 

You seem to think that because all colours and creeds are welcome that Tory views shouldn't be challenged, but they should - they're offensive and discriminatory and such views should always be challenged.

If you feel annoyed at being unable to avoid politics at Glastonbury, think about how it would feel for disabled people when our political establishment leads them to poverty due to cuts, how refugees who fled extremism in their own countries feel when they experience hatred in the West which is supposed to be more tolerant.

I'm not trying to start a row, but if you are avoiding politics, spare a thought for those who can't afford to.

Couldn't escape the Corbyn chant and it was a bit annoying. 

I left Busted early and caught Corbyn giving his speech on Other. Was all a bit contrary. Easy to get cheers when saying let's end poverty, let's house the homeless and let's improve education. 

Always classed myself as a lefty but I left feeling that I was more of a centralist.

7 hours ago, frostypaw said:

You seem to think that because all colours and creeds are welcome that Tory views shouldn't be challenged, but they should - they're offensive and discriminatory and such views should always be challenged.

This is the second time you've misinterpreted what my post was trying to say so I'm not going to give you the benefit of the doubt this time and going to presume it's not an accident.

Im not interested in arguing politics so I'll bow out of this thread and,with so many positive threads on why this year was so great, spend my time on those threads instead.

On 2017-6-27 at 1:16 PM, rivalschools.price said:

With regard to the posters, there was vegan posters everywhere, seemingly oblivious to the fact that it is a dairy farm, ha ha.

The owner of the farm is also a Methodist, doesn't stop people drinking and advertising drinks....:rolleyes:

I really didn't see much political content at Glastonbury this year although I know it was there if I looked. I was happily sat at the top of the hill at The Park, pint in hand, watching a little girl showing a steward how to do cartwheels when Corbyn was speaking on the Pyramid stage. Not sure if there is a comparison there or not :)

Edited by Ommadawn

5 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

This is the second time you've misinterpreted what my post was trying to say so I'm not going to give you the benefit of the doubt this time and going to presume it's not an accident.

Had to go back and check - looks pretty clear to me. Maybe the implications of what you say is one of those thing you've avoided?

I loved the political billboard in Block 9. Didn't love the Corbyn speech. Think he needed to land something more coherent and put his name on a solid new party policy, he will never have a more receptive audience. Maybe I just can't get over his failings in the Brexit referendum which makes him as culpable as anyone (not Boris but not far behind) for the fact the country is about to go through some utter rubbish from May's and the loony DUP party over the next 12 months. 

On 6/27/2017 at 1:16 PM, rivalschools.price said:

With regard to the posters, there was vegan posters everywhere, seemingly oblivious to the fact that it is a dairy farm, ha ha.

I don't think they were oblivious to the fact; quite the opposite! Many of the posters were pointing out the energy and water consumption required by a dairy farm and the impact that has on the environment. 

I loved the political charge at this years festival.  I was extremely impressed that no less than four acts spoke out about female safety at gigs and rape, especially as two were all-male acts.  Frank Carter initiating a safe-space female crowd-surfing frenzy was one of my moments of the festival.

Napalm Death have been wailing angrily about modern day slum landlords for years.  How much more powerful and dark that track was in the shadow of Grenfell.

As for the Corbyn mania, some of it was heartening, some of it was moving, and yes, some of it was a bit naff, but the man himself delivered brilliantly I thought.

On 27/06/2017 at 11:32 AM, themuel said:

Going to Glastonbury to avoid politics seems a bit like popping to Ikea to avoid flat pack furniture. 

Fair enough if that was people's aim, it just seems an odd choice when so many other non-political festivals are available. 

Do you honestly believe that the majority of people go to Glastonbury on account of politics?

On 27/06/2017 at 5:04 PM, frostypaw said:

Which is presumably why you'd see no point in challenging someone who thought black people were lesser sinners marked so by God and that women are just there to be slaves to men?

I think we can all agree those are pretty damn offensive and are views worth challenging - well so are the Tory philosophies that the so-called plebs and the great unwashed are less because of their idle lazy workshy natures and they don't deserve decent healthcare or housing if they're not willing to get the right jobs (or even worse the total numbskull assumption that just working hard is enough when it's flagrantly obvious that many low paid workers put in many more hard hours than lots of high wage earners)

Just because you're discriminating against people of the same colour and sex doesn't make it less offensive, less backwards perhaps, but it's still offensive and out of order and deserves to be addressed - if people are going to be all mardy and upset because treating others like shit is frowned on then tough titties

But this is your view, not Conservative policy.  That's the difference.