Accident on the railway during kaiser chiefs.

Calvin Klein

4 hours ago, ohmygod said:

I was working as a vehicle chaperone over the weekend.   No vehicles could travel around the centre of the site without us walking ahead of them.     The power of a whistle to get people out of the way as well as well as a polite bellow or three is amazing!.

Occasionally people jumped in front of the vehicles to try and cross the road especially if they were split up from their group but not very often.

We marshalled 7 stretches of road but this didn't include the railway track or around the other stage.  I don't know if other people did this? Perhaps they need to extend our remit?

At times thouh if the crowds were to thick to get vehicles down and people simply couldn't move Tom the sides we could call control and they would declare a lockdown.  This happened at times of the big acts such as Headliners, The Smyths at Williams Green on Thursday or Jeremy Corbin.

There also was a very strictly enforced one way system.  You couldn't for example drive straight between Acoustic and pyramid but had to go round past West Holts, Leftfield and then back up to Pyramid.   Everybody apart from emergency vehicles on blues and twos had to follow this rule.   Before this year literally the only person who was allowed to buck this rule was the Dalia Lama.

However David Beckhams fleet of 5 blacked out Range Rivers speed into site this year, drove to fast and refused to follow the marshalls signalling to go,round the one way system.  They just shot of towards the Pyramid stage regardless - d**ks!

Did we meet?

Like you said, this originally wasn't our responsibility (we were responsible for the roads across/around the market area), but after this incident some of our team were moved to the railroad as well.

It is inevitable that vehicles have to go down roads where festival goers are walking and from a traffic supervisor point of view, both people driving vehicles and the punters could do a better job preventing these accidents. I've seen cars driving around like they own the road, shouting at me that I wasn't getting them trough a vast crowd fast enough. On the other hand, punters that cross the road right in front of cars and ignore signals that should help prevent these accidents from happening can expect little of my respect. In the end it all comes down to patience and giving each other space to move.

99% of the times there are no problems though. Like @ohmygod said, when it gets to crowded (part of) the route gets locked down and I think the one way system in the market area works great.

2 hours ago, Robinn said:

Did we meet?

Like you said, this originally wasn't our responsibility (we were responsible for the roads across/around the market area), but after this incident some of our team were moved to the railroad as well.

It is inevitable that vehicles have to go down roads where festival goers are walking and from a traffic supervisor point of view, both people driving vehicles and the punters could do a better job preventing these accidents. I've seen cars driving around like they own the road, shouting at me that I wasn't getting them trough a vast crowd fast enough. On the other hand, punters that cross the road right in front of cars and ignore signals that should help prevent these accidents from happening can expect little of my respect. In the end it all comes down to patience and giving each other space to move.

99% of the times there are no problems though. Like @ohmygod said, when it gets to crowded (part of) the route gets locked down and I think the one way system in the market area works great.

Probably - I was on Muddy Lane most of the week with the 2 more mature Cornish ladies.