The Future of Metal At The Festival

deefer6

1 minute ago, rivalschools.price said:

It's great that punk and metal was generally accepted at Glastonbury this year.

Usually when someone mentions it you get an answer of 'if you want metal,go to Download' or 'if you want punk,go to Rebellion'

Even Frank Carter is getting universal praise

Looks like this could be a goer for future years, yee hah

That's the thing, I'd hate to go to a festival with only one genre, I enjoy the spread. It was nice seeing Dead Kennedys and The National in the same weekend. 

I'm really annoyed they kept changing set times on earache express. Ho99o9 were pulled forwards the day before they festival (and ultimately didn't start anywhere near on time) but even more annoyingly Petrol Girls were bumped from 23:15 to 01:15 with no notice. I only found out when i rocked up at 11pm. Completely wasted trek down to the SE corner. On top of that I queued for two hours for Ho99o9 only just fail to get in.

It's a great concept and great to have metal at Glastonbury but their earache express is way too small and a bit shambolically run.

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

Depends how strict you're being on the definition innit. Aerosmith could easily do it (and I've secretly been wanting that to happen for years).

They were immense at download. Totally surprised me and could have done Glasto but probably wanted too much cash. 

The cool thing is, if a band as extreme as napalm can go down well at glasto(as they did) then the sky is the limit for the genre. They led the way! Well metallica led the way some might say esp as far as `headlining` stage goes but napalm are an extreme metal act who would never have been expected to go over the way they did.

1 minute ago, stonedcircle said:

I could very easily envisage the likes of Mastodon playing an afternoon/evening slot on the Other much like Bring Me the Horizon, Enter Shikari in recent years. Not to mention Tool who would be great to see there again sometime. :dancing:

mastadon arent that much different from a band like king gizzard either, of course mastadon are a bit heavier but same kind of crunchy groove

Saw Napalm Death/Heck/Hactivist

Enjoyed all of them a lot. Earache stage is an excellent idea and seeing bands members crowd surfing through a tube train was fun- didn't find queuing too bad, just found the distance to the nearest toilets a bit frustrating. 

Did feel like I was going to collapse after Hacktivist think the effects of the whole festival finally caught up with me then - although I did have a very sweaty hug from someone in the mosh pit - all good fun

I'm onto most genres in some way or another. Never really taken to hard rock or metal or any of the other sub genres that I'm never entirely sure are serious (death metal?) I'm all for metal at Glastonbury though especially if there's clearly an audience for it. Why would people be against it? If you don't like it just don't go.

I'd go and watch Slipknot and Manson for the craic 100 percent.

Mastodon would be a fantastic booking to play the Other Stage, what a great shout. Not strictly metal at all, but the same goes for Baroness and Clutch, who I think would do brilliantly and gain a whole bunch of new fans playing at Glastonbury. Rancid too would be a bloody magnificent booking. 

I'm telling you, though, get Ghost. Ghost are the perfect band for it. 

Edited by Andre91

20 hours ago, battleborn said:

He's vowed not to do it. It's too mainstream and too middle class according to him, In 2014 as well, so I doubt there's any chance whatsoever of them headlining it. 

Saw Maiden many times and they were one of the best bands live I've seen in the rock category, but agreed they wouldn't do Glastonbury ... shame as I felt there was not enough stage shows..bands came on and went off with a bit of a wimper.

The Foos show ended well though with the pyrotechnics ... 

I'd really like to go to the rambling man gig in July to get my fix of Saxon and Y & T 

Alright, shifting it a...

Let's say The Other Stage has a dedicated metal/harder edge of the rock spectrum.

22:30 - 23:45: Deftones
20:30 - 21:30: Judas Priest
19:00 - 20:00: Ghost
17:30 - 18:30: Bullet for My Valentine
16:00 - 17:00: Stone Sour
14:30 - 15:30: Saxon
13:15 - 14:00: Coheed and Cambria
12:05 - 12:50: Black Star Riders
11:00 - 11:45: Slayer

I'd wager a large chunk of the Glasto demographic would spend good time here and there on that day.

Anyone else with a fantasy island suggestion for an Other Stage day, feel free to share. Sure someone can deliver a more rounded collection than myself.

id like to see some less known bands getting a bit of exposure as well, kind of like a bbc introducing but for rock and metal.

2 of the top of my head that would really fit the ethos of this festival are strange bones a politicaly savvy raging bunch of loons who have some great riffs (and do a wicked cover of spitfire by the prodigy) ironically as they were there this year I got into these guys after seeing them with frank carter and the rattlesnakes earlier in the year.

And Alunah a pagan doom metal band from the midlands with a very crunchy groove at times.

If theres going to be rock and metal at glastonbury itd be good to see the fest used as a spring board for some lesser known acts to really show what they can do as well.

And then hey if napalm death can get over youve got other more established british bands like raging speedhorn and orange goblin who would go down v well.........as I said the skys the limit, just hope eavis builds on this year in terms of rock and metal on the lineup.

Edited by waterfalls212434

13 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Alright, shifting it a...

Let's say The Other Stage has a dedicated metal/harder edge of the rock spectrum.

22:30 - 23:45: Deftones
20:30 - 21:30: Judas Priest
19:00 - 20:00: Ghost
17:30 - 18:30: Bullet for My Valentine
16:00 - 17:00: Stone Sour
14:30 - 15:30: Saxon
13:15 - 14:00: Coheed and Cambria
12:05 - 12:50: Black Star Riders
11:00 - 11:45: Slayer

I'd wager a large chunk of the Glasto demographic would spend good time here and there on that day.

Anyone else with a fantasy island suggestion for an Other Stage day, feel free to share. Sure someone can deliver a more rounded collection than myself.

It's a bit too Download Festival with those bands. Would like to see something like Pelican or Jesu on one of the smaller stages. 

11 hours ago, Keithy said:

I'm really annoyed they kept changing set times on earache express. Ho99o9 were pulled forwards the day before they festival (and ultimately didn't start anywhere near on time) but even more annoyingly Petrol Girls were bumped from 23:15 to 01:15 with no notice. I only found out when i rocked up at 11pm. Completely wasted trek down to the SE corner. On top of that I queued for two hours for Ho99o9 only just fail to get in.

It's a great concept and great to have metal at Glastonbury but their earache express is way too small and a bit shambolically run.

Got to agree with the above. I had expected to spend Thursday night watching something a bit cheesy with my friend before meeting hubby for Ho99o9 at 1am. When they were moved to 11pm I went along with hubby as I knew he really wanted to see them, but I was so annoyed about missing out on my plans I was a grumpy bitch and didn't enjoy them as much as I should have (although they were ace). I think the bad mood was tripled by the fact that we arrived at Earache at 10pm and were told a while later that it was unlikely we'd get in as they were full to capacity. We stayed in the queue and got into the venue around 11.15pm then the band came on at about 11.45pm. It was a hell of a lot of waiting around (not drinking because you don't want to leave to use the loo) when I just wanted to get pissed and have fun.

That said, the line up was overall shockingly poor for me this year, so it was good to see something more up my street. Probably would have spent more time there if that first night hadn't been such an arse.

I would love a dedicated metal / hard rock area at Glasto going forward. 

+1 for Strange Bones above, big fan of those. 

Was really surprised to not see Idles on the lineup this year, quite a heavier band but really politically infused and actively anti Tory. Great album too, no time like now with the fallow year as well, real shame. 

I queued for H09909 and didn't get in, it wasn't even that busy in Shangri la at the time, but the queue was very long and not moving. 

I enjoyed Extreme Noise Terror in there, was a good vibe, and good to see something heavy. A proper stage in a slightly larger venue would be better for next time though, and moving it out of the SE corner would mean people are more likely to get to bands they want when SE corner is rammed. Or having it during the day in SE corner before it gets busy. There's such a wide variety of bands who would be great on this stage, you could easily fill a weekend with it. 

I too couldn't get in for H09909 queued for the best part of an hour and no chance. That said even though I was frustrated by my lack of opportunity to get into the earache express due to it's miniscule size, I am glad that those who did go enjoyed it. The enthusiasm with which Napalm were received should tell the organizers more of this please.

Noisy rock has a future at Glastonbury and i am delighted. How about Melt Banana in Shangri La next time?

5 hours ago, Chinaski_ said:

It's a bit too Download Festival with those bands. Would like to see something like Pelican or Jesu on one of the smaller stages. 

This is the type stuff I'd love to see there and I think it would easily fit right in.  

Tool returning would be immense too.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Gojira, Gojira, Gojira.  They are at the top of their game right now (hopefully still in 2 years as well!).  Their politics match the festivals ethos.  They are also brilliant live and have released a pretty accessible album or two over the last few years.

Ghost would be amazing (John Peel?)

Wolves In The Throne Room, Black Peaks, Deftones, Tool, Mastodon, Clutch are all good shouts I think.  Killswitch Engage are great live and I think could bring some on the fence people on side :)

Bit of stoner stuff and a sprinkling of doom would go well too as it borders on the psychedelic, The Sword, Elder, All Them Witches, Lowrider, Earthless, etc.

Bit of prog metal with pg.lost, Red Sparrows, God Is An Astronaut, and the magnificent If These Trees Could Talk

It is a shame Dillinger Escape Plan are splitting up this year as they would have been perfect in John Peel, given that he played them (even did a session).

From leftfield and just for the theatrics Australian doom metal band Portal would be good.

So yes, yes to more, doesn't need to be a complete stage or anything, just sprinkle it about a bit for flavour.