• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Alcatraz said:

The really jokes ones shouldn't be

Completely bottled it when I saw the guy with the 'Just Sack Pat' flag in one of the markets as it's one of my faves

I congratulated that group (they also had men with ven) on their flag choices when I bumped into them in the park on Thursday night, so they know their efforts are appreciated!

1 hour ago, Alcatraz said:

The really jokes ones shouldn't be

Completely bottled it when I saw the guy with the 'Just Sack Pat' flag in one of the markets as it's one of my faves

I congratulated that group (they also had men with ven) on their flag choices when I bumped into them in the park on Thursday night, so they know their efforts are appreciated!

A thread as old as time and assured as the rumours of Radiohead or Daft Punk headlining.

Always in favour of flags and it will never be as bad as 2009 - that really was peak flag that year! Glad to see the end of I <3 Sausages!

Keep the flags, the Beeb have learned to film around them and frankly if you're in the field and complaining, you probably aren't close enough to see the band anyway.

Funny story at radiohead: A guy had a massive 'Cancel Tel Aviv' yellow flag. Was massive. It lasted half the first song before it was pulled down by the people behind him when it swayed close to them in the wind. He got in a massive strop, called everyone a massive 'bastard', and stormed off.

The flags are one of the things that make Glastonbury , I can rarely see the stages , and defo not with the flags, but I love them. 

Feathre headdresses, large hats etc etc all block views , but hey ho ..... I can stand waiting for a band for ages and there's always a man mountain arrives 2 minutes before and plonks himself infront of me - maybe all stages should be marked with height restrictions so tall people only at the back ....

sorry off topic, keep the flags :-) 

18 hours ago, Upside down frowner said:

How would we/you find anyone?

The same way everyone in the entire world and history of mankind has before the flags?

I'm really confused whether the ultra pro-flags crowd even do other festivals or if they only do Glastonbury so their entire reference is only Glastonbury and they've simply never been to all the countless other non-flag festivals and seen that it works just fine, people can still find each other and that those festivals are still great fun and even sometimes exceed glastonbury's atmosphere - the flags are not critical to it at all.

Sadly it'll just go around the same old loop - there are unavoidably a lot of people there who've simply not been to other festivals and learnt how to find their friends any other way, and people who aren't really there to see the acts so don't mind all the distractions and things in the way.

TBH I thought there were fewer this year than I've seen before, and some more original ones - but there are still too many. Some is fun, but they shouldn't be going down the front of stages that's just mindlessly selfish.

Edited by frostypaw

17 hours ago, Dave_c said:

The flags are Glastonbury and they should stay end of. Wouldn't be right without them.

What about the 25 years or so before that were fine without them? Definitely weren't any in 2003, can't remember which year they really started to increase. I guess 2007 with capacity increase...?

I like the flags. Some are really funny, I think they create more of an atmosphere and look good in front of the stage, and they're great for finding people. That said I'm really short so rarely get a good view of stages anyway, flags or not.

Ban chairs near stages though :fuckyou:

I'm a flag carrier. Have carried the same one to many festivals. It is a life saver when it comes to finding people especially in a big crowd and for locating yourselves when watching sets back again on the TV. 

At no point in the festival did anyone ask me to take it down apart from Arcadia where it could have been a hazard due to the aerial show going on, it was the opposite in many cases. Lots of people asked to hold it and wave it around. 

As for the pain carrying one, mine is only a 4 metre pole with a single flag, high enough to make spotting it easy enough but not low enough so it blocks view of people behind me. 

I do generally keep out of the way with it, only exception was when I went to the front for the Kaisers. Of course Ricky Wilson made a beeline straight for it when he did his crowd invasion. He didn't grab it this year though :(

5952649e03cd4_WhatsAppImage2017-06-27at12_23_59.thumb.jpeg.17677230983eadc0662357399c835e6a.jpeg

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

It is a life saver when it comes to finding people especially in a big crowd and for locating yourselves when watching sets back again on the TV. 

Get something you can hold up when people need to find you, then put it down the rest of the time. Blocking loads of people's views just for a brief thrill for yourself when you rewatch stuff on telly isn't great is it?

3 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

Get something you can hold up when people need to find you, then put it down the rest of the time. Blocking loads of people's views just for a brief thrill for yourself when you rewatch stuff on telly isn't great is it?

It's all about creating the atmosphere for the festival plus it wasn't just my friends using my flag for reference when we were finding each other. It was being used constantly as a guide for lots of people I don't know.

I do agree that there does need to be some guidelines on sizes and number of flags. There was one guy who had a huge pole on with 3 very large flags on it trying to advertise a website. Only saw him on the Pyramid for the headliners so clearly he was just trying to get some exposure on TV plus that triple flag collection would have blocked a lot of views due to the lower ones on the pole.