Your (potentially) Contraversial Changes to Glasto

One Tonne Baby

11 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I think you explained it badly fella. To be fair you said electronic acts did not play Glasto. When I said what about New Order you said they were not an electronic act which is a bit absurd really. Here they are last night playing live with 13 synths, electronic drums and electronic percussion. No act that played at this years festival has ever been more electronic. If it takes upto 13 synths to recreate your tunes live then I think it is fair to say you are an electronic act. Now you are right, they do generally make pop tunes in a traditional format (although stuff like Blue Monday and Confusion are not).

I think you meant rock and pop rather than electronic

I didn't say that, and taking the example of a one off show which is more of an art installation than a gig is somewhat ridiculous, and proves to me exactly why any further discussion of this is pointless.  Anybody who was seriously into electronic music would describe New Order as an indie band with electronic influences, in exactly the same way bands like Primal scream would be. The fact you don't shows we are coming from completely different spectrums of the musical landscape. I'll just stick to analysing stuff with people who like being in the SE corner after 3am.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I didn't say that, and taking the example of a one off show which is more of an art installation than a gig is somewhat ridiculous, and proves to me exactly why any further discussion of this is pointless.  Anybody who was seriously into electronic music would describe New Order as an indie band with electronic influences, in exactly the same way bands like Primal scream would be. The fact you don't shows we are coming from completely different spectrums of the musical landscape. I'll just stick to analysing stuff with people who like being in the SE corner after 3am.

:rofl: I think I know what I am talking about when it comes to electronic music. If your tunes take upto 13 synths to recreate then you are an electronic band. Next thing your will be telling me Blue Monday is an indie tune. You are right, New Order are an indie band as they were on an independent label.

Now 3am is a little too late for me these days but here is a picture of my spare room. Hopefully it will prove my credentials so that I am worthy to talk about electronic music.

20170702_105719_resized.jpg

Edited by eastynh

27 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Quick question for you. Do you consider Depeche Mode and the Human league as electronic acts?

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

Quick question for you. Do you consider Depeche Mode and the Human league as electronic acts?

I consider them in exactly the same bracket as New Order. And if you think Don't You Want Me exists in the same genre as Plastikman, Orbital, The Orb, Moderat, Lindstrom, Aphex Twin, etc then that limited stack of vinyl is wasted on you.

Edited by GrumpyRaver

43 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I consider them in exactly the same bracket as New Order. And if you think Don't You Want Me exists in the same genre as Plastikman, Orbital, The Orb, Moderat, Lindstrom, Aphex Twin, etc then that limited stack of vinyl is wasted on you.

Thats all I can fit in the spare room. I have thousands in the garage at my parents house. The stuff in the spare room is generally what I play when I dj. Mostly Italian house, piano house, rave, hardcore and breakbeat. 

Now you said Glastonbury did not book electronic acts before Orbital played. I mentioned New Order. You then absurdly suggested New Order were not an electronic act. I posted some tunes they did which are purely electronic tracks and their set list from Glastonbury which was pretty much all electronic based tracks.

You then implied that I was not worthy to discuss electronic music with you and would stick to people who go in the se corner at 3am. Now generally I do not go in there at that time but that does not disqualify me from having some knowledge on the subject as I have been djing now for over 15 years and promoted a night for over 10 years. I have also been a fan of electronic music for a lot longer. Added to that I have a first class honours degree in electrical and electronic engineering and have only ever worked in the semi conductor industry. You can criticise my record collection all you want, but I probably know a lot more about electronic music, electronics and electricity than some kid off their tits in the SE corner at 3am.

Now New Order and Depeche Mode are different to the acts you stated but who do you think influenced them? Go google greatest, most pioneering or influential electronic acts of all time. You will find a whole hosts of different lists. You will generally find New Order and Depeche Mode in the top 5 of these lists. Now I appreciate these are just someones opinion but they are in those lists for a reason and thats because they are electronic artists. 

Now here is the wikipedia definition of electronic musician. The acts I stated fit this definition perfectly. Have a read of it and then come back and tell me how the acts I have mentioned do not fit the criteria, yet the acts you mentioned do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_music

Now this thread is about controversial changes to Glasto and I would like to apologise for pulling it so far off topic and even more so if I have bored anyone. I am off to play with my limited record collection. 

Edited by eastynh

21 hours ago, eastynh said:

Thats all I can fit in the spare room. I have thousands in the garage at my parents house. The stuff in the spare room is generally what I play when I dj. Mostly Italian house, piano house, rave, hardcore and breakbeat. 

Now you said Glastonbury did not book electronic acts before Orbital played. I mentioned New Order. You then absurdly suggested New Order were not an electronic act. I posted some tunes they did which are purely electronic tracks and their set list from Glastonbury which was pretty much all electronic based tracks.

You then implied that I was not worthy to discuss electronic music with you and would stick to people who go in the se corner at 3am. Now generally I do not go in there at that time but that does not disqualify me from having some knowledge on the subject as I have been djing now for over 15 years and promoted a night for over 10 years. I have also been a fan of electronic music for a lot longer. Added to that I have a first class honours degree in electrical and electronic engineering and have only ever worked in the semi conductor industry. You can criticise my record collection all you want, but I probably know a lot more about electronic music, electronics and electricity than some kid off their tits in the SE corner at 3am.

Now New Order and Depeche Mode are different to the acts you stated but who do you think influenced them? Go google greatest, most pioneering or influential electronic acts of all time. You will find a whole hosts of different lists. You will generally find New Order and Depeche Mode in the top 5 of these lists. Now I appreciate these are just someones opinion but they are in those lists for a reason and thats because they are electronic artists. 

Now here is the wikipedia definition of electronic musician. The acts I stated fit this definition perfectly. Have a read of it and then come back and tell me how the acts I have mentioned do not fit the criteria, yet the acts you mentioned do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_music

Now this thread is about controversial changes to Glasto and I would like to apologise for pulling it so far off topic and even more so if I have bored anyone. I am off to play with my limited record collection. 

Wow... You really love just ranting on and getting your opinion across without actually engaging with an opposing view, don't you?  I offered a concession that I may have expressed things badly, but you seem absolutely unwilling to accept anything other than your world view and it's not in the slightest bit appealing to debate with somebody like that.  As I've said, I'm done - Somehow you've managed to turn this into slagging match about who knows more about electronic music when all I wanted to do was raise an objection to your ridiculous implication that certain acts should be banned from the main stages because they're not what you're into.  I could post a whole hosts of weblinks, videos and essays to ram home my view about electronic music down everybody's throat as well (including Hooky saying NO are a rock band, a number of 'lists' that don't include NO or DM, essays on musical analysis of electronic music), but I really can't be arsed wasting my time on this any further.  But just to clarify, I'm no kid, have been djing and promoting nights for a lot longer than you, and have a much more relevant degree and job.  Not that any of that matters, but you seem to think it does. 

Thanks for taking absolutely all of the fun out of being on here.  I'll probably leave this place alone for 18 months now.  Enjoy raving to indie bands and going to bed before 3am, which you'll find a lot easier without a Glastonbury next year.

Edited by GrumpyRaver

34 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Thanks for taking absolutely all of the fun out of being on here.  I'll probably leave this place alone for 18 months now.  Enjoy raving to indie bands and going to bed before 3am, which you'll find a lot easier without a Glastonbury next year.

*flounce*