Your (potentially) Contraversial Changes to Glasto

One Tonne Baby

I missed Wiley but the lads said he was shite.

I personally saw S-1 hip hop and grime gigs at Glasto where S means 'splitting up with your gf'. Which is the optimal amount. For that reason more than any I'm glad Wiley got the swerve.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I'd love to. But I think the fact different types of music and shows are equally catered for and accepted is a pretty central pillar of Glastonbury.

I thought US hip hop was monumentally uncatered for as always (Young Thug next time pretty please) but there was enough decent hip-hop ish stuff to compensate.

That's my controversial change. More trap.

Edited by Nduja

With so much dance at the festival and a major pull to the dance village being BBC introducing, it totally gets lost in the shuffle. With options at the Park and the beat hotel and lovebullets on top of arcadia and se corner, it needs a revamp or to go.

BBC introducing would be good at the top/middle of the park near their studio.

As much as I love Wiley and grime, he was shite.

49 minutes ago, Nduja said:

I thought US hip hop was monumentally uncatered for as always (Young Thug next time pretty please) but there was enough decent hip-hop ish stuff to compensate.

That's my controversial change. More trap.

This is what I think as well, Run the Jewels as the only major US hip hop act to play is very odd, Danny Brown would have been great.

Tribe called quest apparently would've been headlining West Holts on Friday night but q-tip broke his shoulder and their Euro tour was cancelled - that prompted a shuffle where Dizzee moved to West Holts, and Annie Mac ended up playing the JP instead. 

3 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Tribe called quest apparently would've been headlining West Holts on Friday night but q-tip broke his shoulder and their Euro tour was cancelled - that prompted a shuffle where Dizzee moved to West Holts, and Annie Mac ended up playing the JP instead. 

XX, Andy Paak, Tribe could have been my all time best 3 set Glasto run (beating RTJ, Caribou, Jamie XX)

15 hours ago, arcade fireman said:

I don't think it is. Indie rock and electro/dance have always been far more catered for than anything else. Whether you think that's right or not is your opinion, but different types of music being equally catered for is not a central pillar of Glastonbury.

I worded that comment badly... I meant acceptance of all different genres is a central pillar of Glastonbury. To suggest banning some types of artist or genre from main stages is undeniably against what Glastonbury. It's also particularly galling when that genre is a MOBO genre and you look around at Glastonbury and see the ridiculously slanted race demographic split on show.

actually, Glastonbury's initial approach to electronic music is very similar to this... it absolutely was not accepted for years, and an electronic music could only be found on the fringes or at soubdsytems and unplanned raves.  But Michael was persuaded to embrace it, booked Orbital and the rest is history. Since then his approach to new genres has been totally different and totally embracing.

9 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I worded that comment badly... I meant acceptance of all different genres is a central pillar of Glastonbury. To suggest banning some types of artist or genre from main stages is undeniably against what Glastonbury. It's also particularly galling when that genre is a MOBO genre and you look around at Glastonbury and see the ridiculously slanted race demographic split on show.

actually, Glastonbury's initial approach to electronic music is very similar to this... it absolutely was not accepted for years, and an electronic music could only be found on the fringes or at soubdsytems and unplanned raves.  But Michael was persuaded to embrace it, booked Orbital and the rest is history. Since then his approach to new genres has been totally different and totally embracing.

To be fair Michael explicitly banned metal from the main stages for years, though this was partly due to safety concerns. I agree it's great Glastonbury is diversifying, but having BBK headline the Other Stage was a poor decision IMO. Justice were great but would have been so much better on the Other Stage soundsystem. Grime certainly has a place at Glastonbury, but some types of music work better in a big field of people - the setting arguably doesn't lend itself to grime anywhere near as well as other genres. 

18 hours ago, eastynh said:

Its not a grime show though mate, it is a major stage at Glastonbury. I would not go to a SHM gig or Creamfields and then moan if they just pressed play. I would not have moaned if Wiley had done his PA @ Arcadia. Yet for a main stage at Glastonbury I thought his performance was very poor. It would not be too difficult for him to make an effort to recreate his music for a live environment, yet he made zero effort. To not even remove the vocals on his backing tracks is shambolic.

I would just add that Stormzy, Skepta et al all do exactly the same thing. But they're much bigger and their tracks are more known so it's a little masked.  They are very much deserving of main stage slots at Glastonbury. I'm a big Wiley fan but I'll be the first to admit his performance was poor any way, he just walked around saying the same things to hype the crowd up. Didn't look like he wanted to be there.

11 minutes ago, rpfranks said:

I would just add that Stormzy, Skepta et al all do exactly the same thing. But they're much bigger and their tracks are more known so it's a little masked.  They are very much deserving of main stage slots at Glastonbury. I'm a big Wiley fan but I'll be the first to admit his performance was poor any way, he just walked around saying the same things to hype the crowd up. Didn't look like he wanted to be there.

I presume most of them at least remove the existing vocals from the backing track though? Which seems to be the major,point of contention here....

30 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

To be fair Michael explicitly banned metal from the main stages for years,

Wow! I didn't know this, is there a source? That's interesting.

30 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

I agree it's great Glastonbury is diversifying, but having BBK headline the Other Stage was a poor decision IMO.

I think BBK would have fared much better against Foo Fighters, putting them against someone popular with young people and an artist who's worked with a few grime MC's was silly.

3 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Wow! I didn't know this, is there a source? That's interesting.

I think BBK would have fared much better against Foo Fighters, putting them against someone popular with young people and an artist who's worked with a few grime MC's was silly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/2064999.stm

Not just metal but "heavy American rock" - it pretty much ruled out metal/hard rock until Metallica headlined. Now it's starting to get more of a foothold.

BBK never should have headlined the Other. Not that they don't belong at Glastonbury, but further down the Other or elsewhere at the festival. Would have had a poor crowd vs the Foos too - maybe less crossover with Radiohead but considering some of the acts that played elsewhere (Justice, Flaming Lips, even Dizzee Rascal if we're taking other grime acts) that was a weak headline spot. 

17 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I presume most of them at least remove the existing vocals from the backing track though? Which seems to be the major,point of contention here....

No. They all just go over their standard songs, it's not a backing track. 

1 hour ago, GrumpyRaver said:

New Order have been playing at Glastonbury since 1981 and have never played lower that Pyramid sub. They have always used live electronics and they did it in an era when it was extremely difficult to do.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

New Order have been playing at Glastonbury since 1981 and have never played lower that Pyramid sub. They have always used live electronics and they did it in an era when it was extremely difficult to do.

And if you can't see the difference between New Order (a traditional group with guitars, verse/chorus based fairly mainstream songs but with some electronic elements) and actual electronic music, and how the different treatment of them at Glastonbury in the 80s just illustrates the disparity that existed, then this discussion is utterly pointless.

15 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

And if you can't see the difference between New Order (a traditional group with guitars, verse/chorus based fairly mainstream songs but with some electronic elements) and actual electronic music, and how the different treatment of them at Glastonbury in the 80s just illustrates the disparity that existed, then this discussion is utterly pointless.

New Order from 1983

New Order 1986

Here is New Orders set list from Glastonbury 1987:

Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
    Play Video
  13. Play Video

Now the 2 tunes I have put here for you show that New Order were not a traditional rock group who just used electronic elements. Then there is the set list from from Glastonbury in 1987. Most of them tunes are fundamentally electronic tunes. 

17 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Congratulations on thoroughly missing my point. Or maybe I'm explaining it badly. I dunno. Anyway, I'm done.

I think you explained it badly fella. To be fair you said electronic acts did not play Glasto. When I said what about New Order you said they were not an electronic act which is a bit absurd really. Here they are last night playing live with 13 synths, electronic drums and electronic percussion. No act that played at this years festival has ever been more electronic. If it takes upto 13 synths to recreate your tunes live then I think it is fair to say you are an electronic act. Now you are right, they do generally make pop tunes in a traditional format (although stuff like Blue Monday and Confusion are not).

I think you meant rock and pop rather than electronic