Your (potentially) Contraversial Changes to Glasto

One Tonne Baby

2 hours ago, Bonaneas said:

There were so many prams and baby truck things in whollly inappropriate places & times it baffles me what some parents are thinking. Saw people falling over a big one with two little kids in it during the big crush getting out of Arcadia about 1245 am Friday night. Just bonkers to drag kids to the late night stuff. 

Now that is downright stupid and endangering the lives of the kids; if someone fell on them they could be seriously injured. I would never take my kids in there after hours. They were in the Sonic tent in silver Hayes during Sister Bliss on Saturday, but at the edges and we knew it would get busier / silly later on, so left. This was despite the acts we would have loved to see later on. They were then in the trolley contraption which was kept out of the way of others, and during mass crowd movements we kept back for a while. This is mainly due to the fact that a few years ago we had all gone up to watch the opening ceremony from near the stone circle. I had one in a sling and the other two in a double buggy. It seemed as though the whole festival wanted to leave when we did and we got trapped. A lady in a wheelchair was trying to leave at the same time, but no one was making way for her and people were falling over her in their attempt to head elsewhere. I think the late night one way system has improved, but back then it was dangerous and we had to head up hill and across towards the Park, then down again towards the Pyramid and across the back of there just to get towards the family area. I've always had the impression that most parents just don't bother taking their kids where things are going to get silly

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Wondermum said:

I would give stewards the power to remove tickets and evict those peeing anywhere other than the provided facilities. There is absolutely NO excuse for being a lazy arse and not taking yourself off to the toilet, taking into account queuing times if necessary. This is what we, as human beings, manage to do in the outside world. We don't piss in our home. Why piss on someone else's? The amount of people I saw this year not making use of the facilities, and some were really near the urinals but decided a tree would really like a drink, was disgusting.

Totally agree.

Didn't go this year but have seen this on several occassions in previous years. And people call them up on it but ultimately nothing is done other than a few words exchanged between them and then the person walks off and end of story.

Seen the suggestion thrown around in this thread of eviction from the festival on strike three. I think that's far too many strikes for this sort of nonsense and should be immediate eviction if caught or one strike maximum. Don't know how that'd be policed or controlled, maybe some marking or tag on your wristband and if caught again, you're out.

2 hours ago, Untz said:

Never been to the Pilton Palais, but if they use the same stuff as the Cabaret tent and Big Top I imagine it's easier to keep clean in muddier years than anything nicer. The problem with benches I guess would be that they would limit the capacity and that could work for films, but would be a pain for other sitting venues with more frequently changing acts of differing popularities. I've been to Cabaret acts where most people are standing it's been so busy.

Talking of seating in tents, I think I enjoyed sitting on a proper chair with a hard back in Mavericks almost as much as the acts. Would definitely go back even if just for the hard backed chair.

The Pilton Palais had these shitty carpets on the floor. It was itchy as hell. I bet they were from Poundland. Surely even tarpaulin would have been better?

8 minutes ago, sunnydaysblue said:

How so out of interest?

Extra busy, plus too many clean looking people :lol:

I think it's more the fact 5 days in it feels like home, and suddenly there are gate crashers; just how I feel, nothing more.

9 minutes ago, oneeye said:

Extra busy, plus too many clean looking people :lol:

I think it's more the fact 5 days in it feels like home, and suddenly there are gate crashers; just how I feel, nothing more.

I get this having in the past arrived on Mondays (just walk on in) I used to think the same of the Wednesday part-timers... the last couple of years I've bought a Sunday ticket but, make no bones about it, I've been glued to the everything Glasto since the before the gates opened and when the BBC streams started Friday lunchtime so did my festival, full time, come Creep on Friday night I was a wreck.

My festival may have been different to yours but I was no gatecrasher... whether larging it in a winnebago or roughing it with a blanket it's the taking part that matters; embrace 'em all, it's no more yours than it is mine!

13 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

I get this having in the past arrived on Mondays (just walk on in) I used to think the same of the Wednesday part-timers... the last couple of years I've bought a Sunday ticket but, make no bones about it, I've been glued to the everything Glasto since the before the gates opened and when the BBC streams started Friday lunchtime so did my festival, full time, come Creep on Friday night I was a wreck.

My festival may have been different to yours but I was no gatecrasher... whether larging it in a winnebago or roughing it with a blanket it's the taking part that matters; embrace 'em all, it's no more yours than it is mine!

Absolutely couldn't have put it better myself, I love my one day experience.

Edited by RickW
Dodgy spelling

More stuff should be open on the Thursday. I would really like to see things in the theatre and circus fields, as I always want to see more there, and invariably once the bigger stages are open I only spend a couple of hours there. And Williams green is basically packed for the whole evening.

And wateraid should stop giving out temporary tattoos. You need to use water to put them on, and then spend an extra 5 minutes in the shower (and it still hasn't gone), so it wastes loads of water!!

49 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

Like I said, just how I feel, nothing more

19 minutes ago, sunnydaysblue said:

I've stayed in a bed and breakfast the last two years so I'm one of the annoying clean people!

We go home each night, bath in the morning to ease the aching legs,so also annoying clean people :)

On that subject actually I was really impressed with how quick we got in this year, Thursday to Sunday we were less than 45 minutes from sofa to T&C, no gate queues any time.

I would say the parking was managed less than brilliantly, a number of times we were very much left to our own devices. A few more signs is all they need to sort this out. It resulted in a few people parking really badly on the end of rows and blocking traffic leaving on Sunday.

Edited by HoTWire

15 minutes ago, sunnydaysblue said:

I've stayed in a bed and breakfast the last two years so I'm one of the annoying clean people!

Not at all, the clean bit was said in jest.

The rest is how I feel, that's all, no big deal. 

I believe that having Sunday day trippers makes the site too busy. Like I suggested, reduced festival tickets for locals but do away with Sunday day tickets.

2 minutes ago, HoTWire said:

We go home each night, bath in the morning to ease the aching legs,so also annoying clean people :)

On that subject actually I was really impressed with how quick we got in this year, Thursday to Sunday we were less than 45 minutes from sofa to T&C, no gate queues any time.

I would say the parking was managed less than brilliantly, a number of times we were very much left to our own devices. A few more signs is all they need to sort this out. It resulted in a few people parking really badly on the end of rows and blocking traffic leaving on Sunday.

Never said that the clean people were annoying ;)

2 minutes ago, oneeye said:

Not at all, the clean bit was said in jest.

The rest is how I feel, that's all, no big deal. 

I believe that having Sunday day trippers makes the site too busy. Like I suggested, reduced festival tickets for locals but do away with Sunday day tickets.

I may be wrong but I reckon the 5K Sunday tickets (at least I think there are only 5K) are only available because at least that many leave the site on Sunday or before.

On 6/27/2017 at 4:02 PM, Chinaski_ said:

A considerable ticket price rise would mean only wealthy/rich people could attend. 

Forgive me for vearing off topic but I do honestly feel that one thing that has changed the atmosphere/vibe of the fest is the introduction of glamping. I remember before they had it and everyone was so much friendlier. I think it's because we were all in the same boat,all social classes disappear when your covered in mud and hoping around,crouched down in a 3foot high tent trying to change your pants. I think all off site and glamping style options should go, also bring back campfires,the organised ones dotted about were cool but didn't see one in my campsite and saw absolutely no firewood

5 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

Forgive me for vearing off topic but I do honestly feel that one thing that has changed the atmosphere/vibe of the fest is the introduction of glamping. I remember before they had it and everyone was so much friendlier. I think it's because we were all in the same boat,all social classes disappear when your covered in mud and hoping around,crouched down in a 3foot high tent trying to change your pants. I think all off site and glamping style options should go, also bring back campfires,the organised ones dotted about were cool but didn't see one in my campsite and saw absolutely no firewood

If there was no glamping then wouldn't those people just stay in hotels instead?

2 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

Whilst I don't disgrace with you, it's not that simple. If a neighbouring land owner wants to set up a glamping operation, in what way can that be stopped? And isn't it down to the person who owns the land to do what they want with it? There is clearly a demand otherwise it wouldn't exist and they obviously have an awful lot of disruption to put up with from the Festival Itself, so they probably feel they have the right to make something back from it. Equally some of the land owners are integral to the festival and need to be kept sweet. Like I say I don't disagree with you, but it's not something Glastonbury have control and can just stop if they want to, or something that is likely to go away while people want to pay for it.

Just read through a lot of this thread....some of which I agree with but I think some of it is just a generational thing and is what us lot who've been 'festivalling' for a number of years now just have to accept and put up with.

Anyway heres my two-pence worth on this years event. 

1. Mobile phone use.  Absolutly obscene.  I had an argument with one of my mates who was just constantly on his phone to his girlfriend (texting) caused a bit of a scene but i had to say it.  Walking across back across the other stage with some pints before an act i noticed loads and loads of people were just sitting staring into screens. Not a Glastonbury thing i know but its sad its come to this. :(

2.  The site seemed a lot more packed this year, and we encounted a lot of people with fake wristbands/had fake tickets. Not sure if there any numbers on how many got in.

3. Might be worth offering reduced value tickets for entry on Thursday 8am onwards only could help spread the queing problem that is currently happening on Wedesday AM each year.

4. I would agree there definatly seems to be a lot more posers there these days, even since i started going in 2004, types that i wouldn't expect to encounter....perhaps a refelection in some of the acts being booked these days that you used to see on the line up for V !

5. No campfires anymore, again i've noticed this happen in the last few years can't say i've really seen them much in the last 10 years or so. Probably because there is so much else on offer elsewhere!

53 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

I think a minority of those that glamp do have a superiority complex. While waiting on the Bristol shuttle bus on Monday morning a bus from Worthy View arrived. A couple of them looked at the cue, took a deep breath a joined the back. However, there was one woman who opened the gate and stood at the front of the queue. A warden quickly told her she couldn't and her response was literally "I'm Worthy View". The warden along with others from the queue quickly reminded her that it meant nothing and to get to the back.

Before I get my head bit off, I totally agree it's only a minority that would act like that.

10 hours ago, Penrhos said:

What about going back to its "contemporary arts" background - bin off most of the dance tents and have bands playing in the venues instead.

Would have the added advantage of discouraging some of the "pill-heads" - There's plenty of other EDM festivals they can go to instead.

Also reduce the number of bands playing on the main stages and give them longer sets, especially further up the bill - sometimes less is more!

I think you’re missing the point of the dance tents/nightlife, what’s made festivals so popular in recent times is the shift in young people looking for a weeklong party rather than just a live band experience, and DJs and nightlife areas are now an essential part of this. Glastonbury has also been a pioneer in this change.

Fair enough if you may not like that sort of thing, but I think you’d be rejecting a significant proportion of young people who are more interested in this kind of festival.

1 hour ago, Odessa said:

If there was no glamping then wouldn't those people just stay in hotels instead?

It's a hypothetical suggestion. The point I'm making is before these options existed people were perhaps friendlier and certainly there was more integration because we were all in the same boat I.e covered in mud and stinking like shit. There seems to be a snobbery developing over the last decade. I just like to think that for those 5 days we are all the same and we all piss into a bottle in our tent porch at 4am  

1 minute ago, glastolover19 said:

It's a hypothetical suggestion. The point I'm making is before these options existed people were perhaps friendlier and certainly there was more integration because we were all in the same boat I.e covered in mud and stinking like shit. There seems to be a snobbery developing over the last decade. I just like to think that for those 5 days we are all the same and we all piss into a bottle in our tent porch at 4am  

What about the campervan'ers with their 12v showers and memory foam mattress toppers... they've not even got dogs on a string!

14 hours ago, pentura said:

Totally agree.

Didn't go this year but have seen this on several occassions in previous years. And people call them up on it but ultimately nothing is done other than a few words exchanged between them and then the person walks off and end of story.

Seen the suggestion thrown around in this thread of eviction from the festival on strike three. I think that's far too many strikes for this sort of nonsense and should be immediate eviction if caught or one strike maximum. Don't know how that'd be policed or controlled, maybe some marking or tag on your wristband and if caught again, you're out.

3 strikes and you're out is too lenient in my opinion. All those people only getting caught twice maybe, and staying in, when no doubt getting away with it far far more often. If you're a fish, you've got no choice in the fact some twunt has come along and polluted your stream. As far as I'm concerned, 1 strike and you're out. Some may see it as harsh, but it's the only way to get the message across. 

I think a lot of people are brilliant and take the while long drop issue in their stride really well. I needed to use the ones by the cider bus this year and wasn't overly enthralled at the concept. But they were clean with volunteers cleaning them and they really didn't smell. The compost loos there were even better. 

13 hours ago, Odessa said:

There aren't that many local hotels to be honest.  At least very few that aren't already getting booked up for the festival period anyway.

The thing with Glastonbury it has become a thing to be at.  The wall to wall BBC coverage, the magazines, the papers, the PR have all made it this thing in a way that other festivals in the UK aren't.  So you get people that rarely go to festivals that want somewhere nicer than a eurohike in a field to stay.  Thus glamping.  Even if you remove the glamping side of things those people are still going to come to the festival, because thing, so you'll end up with them in the campsites, and then people will be complaining about either a: getting complained at for making noise, or b: people camping badly, or c: people making too much noise, or more probably d: all of the above.

The bottom line is that most of the complaints in this thread amount to the festival is too popular.  Well that is what the organisers want and that is what they have got, ticket sell outs, log jammed stages, commercial line up, glamping, all of it is what is desired by the organisers when they set down the path to make it as popular as possible and when they signed whatever deal they have with the BBC they secured that.