Your (potentially) Contraversial Changes to Glasto

One Tonne Baby

1 hour ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

It's precisely because of people hovering that the seats get covered in piss. Wipe the seat and sit the fuck down!

Not my piss! I have excellent stream aim...sit the fuck down on shit and piss...big negative there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly that the food for a fiver scheme should be an actual meal - not just cheesy chips. I didn't see anywhere that had a 'meal' for the price but could have missed it?

(Except obviously the food with donation at Hare Krishna)

Edited by cazzatron

8 minutes ago, nixxxnaxxx said:

Not my piss! I have excellent stream aim...sit the fuck down on shit and piss...big negative there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Literally everyone says this.

Now let's get five pints and whatever else down you and see....

My only complaint for the whole weekend was the Thursday. Every single thing I wanted to see was completely off limits or had any enjoyment sucked out of it by the intensity of the crowds. 

Went to see kolsch with a load of mates at The Blues after bigging him up to them. It was an utter crowd car crash and I ended up leaving and chilling in pussy parlour on my own. 

Crowds from Friday onwards were all manageable for me. Killers being the busiest obvs but, other than the knob with a chair, even that was a nice experience. 

18 hours ago, One Tonne Baby said:

• Make the festival over 21s only. (please don't kill me)
  • Reduce tickets to 120,000
  •  

No way to the over 21's my brother takes his kids and they absolutely love it as well as kids I know plenty of teenagers who love it. The most ridiculous idea ever. Music is for all ages.

I do however totally agree with reducing the ticket numbers back to what they were before they last increased the numbers. While extra areas have been put in it's just not enough to handle the extra numbers. A lot of my mates have stopped going for this reason

Also, by the end of the weekend, if there was ever someone in a busy crowd that still had a chair out but weren't sitting in it, we found that a sure fire way to convince them to put it away was to sit in it ourselves and fuck around a bit. Then stand up and let them make their next move. Nine times out of ten they packed it away. 

21 minutes ago, nixxxnaxxx said:

Please re-read my post - I didn't suggest it was.

I have to say you were extremely unlucky to encounter any toilets with shit on the seat. Water Aid volunteers were out cleaning all weekend (even at 2am in Shangri-La) so most toilets were spotless. If there's a bit of pee on the seat, wipe it off and sit down. 

We nearly got crushed trying to leave the front of the Pyramid after the XX. It really was a disaster waiting to happen. Security were doing nothing. Understandably a LOT of Radiohead fans trying to get in but something should have been done to give people a chance to get out first between headliners. Eventually after us shouting about how dangerous it was they asked people to let us out but something should have been in place to stop that happening with so many people in the area. Maybe a one way system between acts or something.

Edited by Helsbels
mispelling

One thing that occured - they really could do very well to have a security guy on the ends of the front crowd barrier at the pyramid with a big sign saying "IF YOU LET PEOPLE OUT FIRST IT WILL BE EASIER FOR YOU TO GET IN"

There was a huge crowd of grumpy aggro looking idiots forcing their way in after Katy Perry that managed to completely stop the outflow and created quite a crush.

Similarly a few guys with "KEEP TO THE RIGHT" signs at the field exits/entrances could do wonders for the crowd flow during changeovers. This year wasn't so bad without so many sat in chairs in the mud, but it was still much more trouble that it needed to be

22 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I have to say you were extremely unlucky to encounter any toilets with shit on the seat. Water Aid volunteers were out cleaning all weekend (even at 2am in Shangri-La) so most toilets were spotless. If there's a bit of pee on the seat, wipe it off and sit down. 

I encountered this several times. There was even a perfectly formed Mr Whippy on the back of the seat in one long drop. It looked like art installation. The worst toilet that I encountered was in the car park at 8am on Wednesday. It was full to the brim with poo and sweetcorn. How it got in that state in a short space of time is beyond me.

1 hour ago, cazzatron said:

Mostly that the food for a fiver scheme should be an actual meal - not just cheesy chips. I didn't see anywhere that had a 'meal' for the price but could have missed it?

(Except obviously the food with donation at Hare Krishna)

Indian street food place near Avalon did a really good lentil Dal and rice for £5! Also a curry of the day for the same

Move all dance venues from Silver Hayes down to Shangri-La, and move some of the more off beat bits of Shangri-La up to Silver Hayes - e.g. - The Rocket Lounge/Diner which has a more varied playlist.

then the dance music crowd could all be down at Shangri -La from earlier in the day rather than heading there with everyone else at midnight. I can imagine it's a bit of a pain for dance music fans to be torn between 2 areas at opposite ends of the site.

In Silver Hayes I love The Gully and The Blues, but The Gully in particular can really struggle with sound bleed from the surrounding 3 tents of banging beats.

I just think here 2 areas being rationalised a bit could help Silver Hayes develop its own character rather than being a bit of a dead day time Shangri La.

Also - go back to less people please - it is too crowded and has been ever since they increased the capacity.

A musical change; they could definitely do with a fixed "rock" stage, a la more punk/metal on a regular basis. Didn't see Dropkick in the end but crowd looked well stacked for the slot they were playing on a Sunday. 

Perhaps not a stage then, but have a committed day on the Other stage to metal, punk and subgenres. Whilst Green Day would always have been a stretch, having someone like Blink-182 as an alternative on the Friday or Sunday night would have been relatively popular, I feel. QOTSA likewise, though wehther they're too big for the Other now is something to think on.

add a few days to the festival, but have a 'day off' in the middle.

open the gates on Sunday lunchtime, Monday just traders, Tuesday + Wednesday full days, thursday just traders, Friday Saturday full days, Sunday close down.

I could then sleep on thursday to make sure i have enough energy to still see all the headliners :D really flagging on Sunday this year :D

Edited by paulshane

1 hour ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Saw quite a few. Once went to the toilets behind WH and about half of the seats had shit on them somewhere. In fact, saw way more shit stained seats in general then I did usable-after-a-wipe seats in Shangri-La at night (which was approximately zero).

All the terrible toilets were long drops - composters were generally spotless with maybe just a couple of drops of piss. I don't know if it's due to design or location. 

my opinion from a first timer and sadly possibly last time and not because I didn't have a great time I had a ball and I'm well over 50 so my views are going to be different to younger ones so here goes...hope not to offend

The price of the tickets are good value for money especially when I witnessed those who didn't have a ticket willing to pay eye watering amounts to get one, but due to the staggering amount of people ( I got the impression reading as much as I could before hand that it was easy to move about) I'd like to see a considerable rise in entry ticket price and really limit numbers.. so much I couldn't see or hear properly as the crowds were huge and was disappointed with some of the sound quality in some places . Trying to jostle through crowds where a few were unwilling to budge no matter how many times I said excuse me.  The only ever time I witnessed crowd like this was for Queen but it was still easier to get around than this was 

Local residents having access is a must, I would never want this on my doorstep and really grateful for the locals for putting up with the takeover of their beautiful place ..locals will be given free access if they put there name down and have a special wrist band or barcode to get in so the numbers can be calculated better 

As for children I'd say free for under 5's and a grading system for age increments up to full price at 16, I noticed the really tiny tots fine, but witnessed a lot of whiny youngsters ages ranging from about 6 to 12/13 .  Hats off to all those who bought children as it's something I wouldn't manage and hope they didn't have to witness a lot of open drug taking, I'd hate to think that they grow up thinking this was the way to enjoy yourself.  I'm not anti drugs but at least do it a bit more discretely .

Anti social behaviour was a bit disappointing as I thought this wouldn't happen hardly at all  but as an adult I can keep calm and ignore it, I'm not sure where security was on a few flare ups which was left to others to calm things down ,

The area where a lot of animal friendly and environmental  stands were possibly need to be sourced better, not too many people around and some of what they were stating was untrue and I blew a few of their theories out the window.  Agree with someone who earlier said it is a dairy farm and male calves will usually be  culled at birth as they are not financially viable to a dairy farm... some farms and not saying this one have a few practices that don't sit comfortable with me. 

I'd put an area like this a little more away from the main drag and open up  populated areas a bit more 

Purely because of my tastes I would have loved a 1970's 1980's rock area with all the iconic tunes banging out so a few of us old head bangers could have a bit of a sing song ... Whitesnake and Co would have been awesome after MainStage.ends

Again due to personal tastes I got a bit fed up with so much techno stuff going on later on , but I suppose it's what a lot of people like 

My biggest bug bear was WV, I thought the cost to camp there was highly over inflated with amenities not matching the price by a long way.  The queues for the showers even at 7 when they opened were just so long and didn't bother most of the time , so few toilets especially right at the back where I was camped and not enough food and bar outlets for how many people were camped there.

It should be stated clearly on booking that if you have any mobility problems at all this maybe not the place to camp.. I am not bad enough to be disabled but not just the steps but the incline to the steps was bad, my hip suffered badly on Friday and was pretty immobile the rest of the time and Sunday a long queue to get into the festival.

For a festival promoting environment issues I couldn't understand why the lights all the way up to WV were on 24/7 a very extravagant use of energy.

My other problem which would also mean I wouldn't get a ticket next time as I really would like to know who is headlining at least, again down to my taste but was very surprised Ed Sheeran heading as although he is loved by many he is no show man and I think an end of festival headline act should have that special show quality giving lots of razzmatazz 

The above are my hiccups and due to the location of WV and the crowds will possibly mean I won't be able to go again which is such a shame as I had such fun especially at Foo Fighters ... I'm still struggling with damage I've done going up to WV and coming down has probably done even more damage. 

I hope this doesn't  come across as an old wind bag having a moan as it isn't meant that way 

1) Should be a no chair zone between stages and sound towers, people should be fully within their rights to ask people to move them back or get off the chair.

2) West Holts needs to be wider if that is possible, repeaters wouldn't go a miss, needs a bit of a shake up, I love that area over the years, it's growing in popularity I think, the sound was truly awful there if you were further back than the Brothers Bar which is a shame for the great acts that performed.

3) The Rabbit Hole queue was ridiculous, that needs a shake up to make it more accessible or keep it special in another way.

4) I think campsite stewards should be allowed to ask people to tidy their camps, three warnings or the whole camp gets ejected, it will help upon leaving.

5) Think some food stall prices need to be capped, offering a thin base pizza for 15 quid is a bit ridiculous.

6) Maybe campsite equipment should be limited in number and kept outside by the gates to deter people from buying things only to leave them behind two days later on the Monday.

7) Fix the area between Michaels Mead and the Pyramid, the bottlenecks between Killers/Chic were the worst I've seen and I used to camp in the Mead. Perhaps the lineup needs to be refined to stop such widespread changeovers.

The volume of people leaving Chic and going to see Biffy was quite a strong turnaround of the whole Pyramid Crowd, pehaps KP would have been a better sub on Sunday and have Biffy sub the Foo Fighters over the National which might have made it a lot more comfortable for the crowd.

8. The Turnstyles on entrance and the South East Corner, they are so narrow, I don't really get it.

9) Loved the changes to the Temple and Shangri La. Think the Unfair Ground needs a revamp or to be replaced, it feels so static and dated compared to the rest, Block 9 is moving that way too.

10) I agree with others on here more variety at night other than dance would be fantastic, I know I'd like to see more bands and creative expression at night, We just kept switching venues because none of the dance music sometimes was ticking any boxes.

11) Not sure how feasible but Wednesday and Thursday seem to growing in terms of live music and entertainment. It might have been good to have something specials like the Killers Secret Set on a big stage as a one off on Thursday. Great way to start the weekend, other festivals seem to have shifted to four days, pretty sure Glasto could gradually grow on the Thursday or spread a couple of the bookings on to that day.

12) More compost toilets, they are great and far better than the metal equivalents.

I say all this but this festival was in my all time top 3, I absolutely loved it and had an amazing year. I feel so revitalised after some time back at my favourite place.

Edited by MACDrob

4 minutes ago, MACDrob said:

8. The Turnstyles on entrance and the South East Corner, they are so narrow, I don't really get it.

I think the idea is to ensure only one person gets through at a time, while having quite a lot of 'lanes' to keep the flow going.

Or it's to keep fat people out... *joking*

31 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

my opinion from a first timer and sadly possibly last time and not because I didn't have a great time I had a ball and I'm well over 50 so my views are going to be different to younger ones so here goes...hope not to offend

The price of the tickets are good value for money especially when I witnessed those who didn't have a ticket willing to pay eye watering amounts to get one, but due to the staggering amount of people ( I got the impression reading as much as I could before hand that it was easy to move about) I'd like to see a considerable rise in entry ticket price and really limit numbers.. so much I couldn't see or hear properly as the crowds were huge and was disappointed with some of the sound quality in some places . Trying to jostle through crowds where a few were unwilling to budge no matter how many times I said excuse me.  The only ever time I witnessed crowd like this was for Queen but it was still easier to get around than this was 

Local residents having access is a must, I would never want this on my doorstep and really grateful for the locals for putting up with the takeover of their beautiful place ..locals will be given free access if they put there name down and have a special wrist band or barcode to get in so the numbers can be calculated better 

As for children I'd say free for under 5's and a grading system for age increments up to full price at 16, I noticed the really tiny tots fine, but witnessed a lot of whiny youngsters ages ranging from about 6 to 12/13 .  Hats off to all those who bought children as it's something I wouldn't manage and hope they didn't have to witness a lot of open drug taking, I'd hate to think that they grow up thinking this was the way to enjoy yourself.  I'm not anti drugs but at least do it a bit more discretely .

Anti social behaviour was a bit disappointing as I thought this wouldn't happen hardly at all  but as an adult I can keep calm and ignore it, I'm not sure where security was on a few flare ups which was left to others to calm things down ,

The area where a lot of animal friendly and environmental  stands were possibly need to be sourced better, not too many people around and some of what they were stating was untrue and I blew a few of their theories out the window.  Agree with someone who earlier said it is a dairy farm and male calves will usually be  culled at birth as they are not financially viable to a dairy farm... some farms and not saying this one have a few practices that don't sit comfortable with me. 

I'd put an area like this a little more away from the main drag and open up  populated areas a bit more 

Purely because of my tastes I would have loved a 1970's 1980's rock area with all the iconic tunes banging out so a few of us old head bangers could have a bit of a sing song ... Whitesnake and Co would have been awesome after MainStage.ends

Again due to personal tastes I got a bit fed up with so much techno stuff going on later on , but I suppose it's what a lot of people like 

My biggest bug bear was WV, I thought the cost to camp there was highly over inflated with amenities not matching the price by a long way.  The queues for the showers even at 7 when they opened were just so long and didn't bother most of the time , so few toilets especially right at the back where I was camped and not enough food and bar outlets for how many people were camped there.

It should be stated clearly on booking that if you have any mobility problems at all this maybe not the place to camp.. I am not bad enough to be disabled but not just the steps but the incline to the steps was bad, my hip suffered badly on Friday and was pretty immobile the rest of the time and Sunday a long queue to get into the festival.

For a festival promoting environment issues I couldn't understand why the lights all the way up to WV were on 24/7 a very extravagant use of energy.

My other problem which would also mean I wouldn't get a ticket next time as I really would like to know who is headlining at least, again down to my taste but was very surprised Ed Sheeran heading as although he is loved by many he is no show man and I think an end of festival headline act should have that special show quality giving lots of razzmatazz 

The above are my hiccups and due to the location of WV and the crowds will possibly mean I won't be able to go again which is such a shame as I had such fun especially at Foo Fighters ... I'm still struggling with damage I've done going up to WV and coming down has probably done even more damage. 

I hope this doesn't  come across as an old wind bag having a moan as it isn't meant that way 

With regards to the WV mobility issue, I think this is quite clear:

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/accommodation/worthy-view-pre-erected-camping/disabled-info/

I'm quite surprised by the people who are saying it was too crowded this year. I thought it was much less crowded because the lack of mud meant everyone could walk quicker. It's easy to avoid crowds - just see stuff on stages that aren't the pyramid or other and use the railway track to get around whenever possible.

I thought the SE corner in particular was much less busy this year which was quite a pleasant surprise. In previous years we've waited until pretty late before going but even straight after the headliners it was fine on Sunday. Having Arcadia near the park and giving the beat hotel a decent lineup seems to be working really well.

More variety in the SE corner music would be good. Maybe its time to replace the unfairground with somewhere playing indie music or something. I like that the hell/truth stage seems to be moving towards heavier bands and has some live stuff on late. The gas tower was a great new venue.

I didn't make it over to JP last year so checked out the woods for the first time. It's nice that there's more stuff to do around that area now.

I am quite surprised by how many venues there are in the dance bit. It could definitely be slimmed down because lots of them are pretty empty most of the time. Maybe they should loose one of the dance stages and have a punk/metal stage instead. They used to have some bands like that early in the day back when it was east/west dance.

Edited by sneakydave