Your (potentially) Contraversial Changes to Glasto

One Tonne Baby

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think even more garbage bins are needed. As well if everyone that used the loos treated them as if they were at their grannies house, they would be more pleasant for everyone. But that little rule applies to most public washrooms. Also I learned a trick in the long drops. Hang your bag on that hook you use to lock them with and you do not have to set it down on the gross questionable ground. 

Designated 'quiet' camping areas would be nice. We were in Rivermead this year which is normally nice and peaceful but we were next to a group who insisted on playing shite out of some tinny speakers until the early hours and thought that pissing next to their tents was a good idea. Pleasant folk.

Apart from that though, I wouldn't change a thing.

42 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Explain to me what i need to do so that i dont get put in pink car parking....

i would reduce the numbers slightly & some people doing the lineup timings needs to seriously think again why they are putting acts on the wrong stages. I dont care about any of them but they have a knock on effect to others trying to get around the site or see other acts:

killers that was stupid should have been other stage minimum.

liam G and rag n bone man should have been pyramid. 

Or if they are having secret sets, do a better job of keeping them secret! A good example of how to do this was craig david in stonebridge, under a pseudonym that if you're clever & care about the act you will decipher and if not you wont.

Didn't Craig David announce his Stonebridge set on the Pyramid stage? I wouldn't describe that as secret.

I still think you have a good point though.

1 minute ago, Andeeroo said:

Designated 'quiet' camping areas would be nice. We were in Rivermead this year which is normally nice and peaceful but we were next to a group who insisted on playing shite out of some tinny speakers until the early hours and thought that pissing next to their tents was a good idea. Pleasant folk.

Apart from that though, I wouldn't change a thing.

Walked through wicket ground family camping, had loads of space all weekend. Not sure it's fair to dedicate so much space to this demographic. 

4 minutes ago, BrokenDown said:

Didn't Craig David announce his Stonebridge set on the Pyramid stage? I wouldn't describe that as secret.

I didnt go to pyramid so not sure, but judging by the amouny of ppl that turned up to it, i dont think it was that widely known! It was still outside the tent but not as silly as basically any time on thursday at stonebridge

mind you i was watching desperate soundsystem before so i was nicely established inside the tent!

Edited by Memory Man

I would reduce the numbers. I'm not sure if it was a result of the nice weather but everywhere seemed so busy in comparison to previous years. I couldn't get into Shangri La this year. 

Speaking of Shangri La, maybe two separate queues would work? One for Shangri La, another for The Common / Block 9? I barely experienced Shangri La this year as a result of how busy it was. 

The Rabbit Hole has lost its appeal. Ridiculous queues and in need of a shake up.

Stonebridge Bar could do with being bigger. 

With those two things in mind, the whole of The Park could be in need of a big shake up. 

29 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Swap West Holts and John Peel.

No way! JP only moved to its current field last year and it's so much better than its old location. Previously people would just come to JP for one band and leave, now it's a nice area to hang out.

My addition  would be DJs between sets (at least on Pyramid).

2 hours ago, milly16 said:

Not have the Sunday day ticket holders 

Ban all chairs at stages. Bloody dangerous with people sat down in the pit through a set 

Obviously as someone who benefits from this I'm not going to agree! I'm also not going to go all defensive, if your linking chairs with people coming for the day I'd absolutely agree complete nuisance as I actually fell over one last night.

if it's a general ban on Sunday day tickets then I'd never agree, it's true people on the immediate area have different benefits but those of us on the edge of the festival (Castle Cary here) are impacted by the festival on a day to day basis for most of us it's not a problem but others can and do make objections that could jepodise the festival, these tickets do help to placate some of that as well as giving locals an opportunity to see what the festival is about.

it was interesting being on the coach yesterday listening to people's preconceptions of what they were expecting on the way in equally the return coach was full of May people much older than myself who had had a great time and changed their perception of the event.

ban the chairs, yes please.

29 minutes ago, BrokenDown said:

He certainly did - thanks to @SecretGlastoI'd tipped off my missus' friends about the "secret" gig only for him to blow the secret 5 mins later!

Agree with the chairs thing, or rather have specific areas for them because let's face it some people can't stand for that long so they need to be given an opportunity to enjoy the show like the rest of us.  What's more annoying is groups of people who are fully capable of standing all sitting on the ground in big circles at the stages. I don't get how people can sit there with masses of people clambering all over them. I would fear for getting stamped on.

I would also remove the food vendors from the main path from pyramid to other. Makes it impossible to pass when people are trying to get from one to the other after a big act and have to negotiate walls of people queueing up to get food.

4 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

Agree with the chairs thing, or rather have specific areas for them because let's face it some people can't stand for that long so they need to be given an opportunity to enjoy the show like the rest of us.  What's more annoying is groups of people who are fully capable of standing all sitting on the ground in big circles at the stages. I don't get how people can sit there with masses of people clambering all over them. I would fear for getting stamped on.

I would also remove the food vendors from the main path from pyramid to other. Makes it impossible to pass when people are trying to get from one to the other after a big act and have to negotiate walls of people queueing up to get food.

Yeah, there were people with picnic blankets and chairs right in the middle of the other stage with people literally stepping over them

23 minutes ago, budvar said:

Someone mentioned this to me on Twitter over the weekend - which is the biggest stage not to pay performers?

I'm not sure it's that simple. Some of the really small stages do pay the performers, but don't offer tickets- hence why you see smaller acts playing at a few places over the weekend. Of course, in these cases they're generally being paid less than the price of a ticket....

I can't for the life of me understand why certain acts of certain popularity are put on small stages i.e Kurupt Fm

They are a massive attraction so to put them in Stonebridge and the Clash was ridiculous. They'd pull a big Other or even Pyramid crowd

Here is one, ludicrous thing I would do. Would never happen.

Unsigned acts between the main acts on the Pyramid. 

Have a separate stage at the front of the Pyramid. It's on hydraulics and goes up and down. Curtain on Pyramid so the setting up of the main act isn't a distraction. Separate mixing desk so it doesn't interfere with the setting up process. Unsigned band gets 30 - 45 minutes, depending on size of gap. Captive audience of either people who were about to leave but like what they hear, people who are just at the Pyramid all day (especially Sunday), and the crowds coming in for the next main act.

Would be a great way to champion unsigned artists. Could have poetry, or talks on the issues glastonbury tries to highlight too. 

More punk/alt cult bands on the smaller stages - the Earache takeover was great this year

A quiet area for us with no stamina to be able to sleep - didn't like people shouting all night and early in the morning in the campsites and it would be nice to get a good sleep with all the walking between stages going on

Less radio 1/v fest crap

Late night djs playing other stuff than just rave - rock singalongs, classic indie, cheesy pop etc. something different

Edited by Chinaski_

1 hour ago, Steve1000 said:

Deffo book more metal. Why they'd ignore what is one of the largest and most important genres in music yet book all others (some just as polarising) is beyond me. Not only metal but more punk, hard rock, pop punk etc.

Hopefully the success of the Earache stage,Slaves, Frank Carter and others this year we will see some more metal,and punk booked.

Firstly, I had the best best time and will remember for years to come! Thanks Glasto x 

I would like to see:

1. a zip wire above the railway line - The Park to Shagri-la in 10 seconds!

2. hanging hoops in the toilets for females to hang onto and hover over the piss / shite covered toilets seats. I hung onto the toilet latch for my fucking life whilst peeing.

3. emotional warning in the Poetry & Words tent , I am hard but even I was fucking moved to tears with two of the acts.