What made you smile ?

Crazyfool01

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just had a lovely bonus one today, it's the festival that keeps on giving:

I tend to chat to people who appear to be on their own in crowds between bands. I'd say 60% of the time it ends at exchanging pleasantries and wishing each other a good festival but there were 2 stand out ones this year that lead to new friends. One was a Swedish chap I met post Radiohead, we exchanged tequila and he ended up coming to Arcadia with us and having a great time. It was nice that he felt that he could catch up with us on Sunday evening too, anyway I digress.

This post is about a fantastic woman who was on her own for the Jacksons. Before they got on stage I got chatting to her and found out that she was having the best week of her life, it was her first Glastonbury (possibly first festival) and that all of the rest of her group were watching the Foos. I explained that she was more than welcome to join our group, initially I think she thought I was taking the piss as we were a group averaging in our early 30s and she was probably mid to late 50s. None the less she was introduced to our team (of about 8 at the time) and we all had a good chat until the music started when we all enjoyed a good boogie (The sounds was fit for purpose where we were).

I forget which song came on but she mentioned it was her favourite, one of the group offered to get her up on his shoulders. I’m sure she wouldn’t be offended if I mentioned that she wasn’t the slightest of women (or non-chipstick person as she put it), so at first she politely declined, after some gentle persuasion she was up there with the biggest grin I saw on anyone all weekend. She was instant that we took as many photos as ‘those lot back at the tent would never believe this’.

When the Jacksons finished we mentioned that we were going to Arcadia. After phoning one of her group to let them know that she was OK she joined us until about 3am until she could dance no more. We made sure to grab her email so we could send her the photo evidence of the night’s events.

One of my friends sent those photos yesterday, and we received the most wonderful response this morning. Not only did she (just about ish) remember everyone’s, names she went into great detail about how nice we all were, how she felt like one of us, how she had the best time of her life, and even went into details of conversations which many of us had taken for granted.

Her response was shared with the rest of us and it’s made my day. I won’t go into too much detail about what else she included but it’s clear that she’s had a challenging time of it recently and in her words ‘came back to the lads that night a different person’.

This might all sound a bit self fellating but it was so rewarding to hear that we weren’t just being a pain in the arse and bullying her into what we considered having a good time.

To me a large part of the festival is making the experience good for yourselves and for others. This was reflected in my disappointment on Tuesday morning whilst queuing at the shop, I turned round to start a conversation with the person behind me only to stop myself just in time – unfortunately that’s not the way the community works in my neck of the woods.

Anyway apologies for the essay. It was either write it up or put it to the back of my head while getting on with work, and I wasn’t quite ready to do that.

Thursday night in the Tiny Tea Tent, having a welcome sit down and a proper cuppa in a proper cup.  It was someone's birthday, so we all sang 'Happy Birthday' for him.  A few minutes later he came and gave us all a slice of his seriously good victoria sandwich birthday cake.  Thank you, whoever you are, and I hope you had a great day.

Definitely loved sitting at the bandstand when a Theresa May ran placed shortly after chased by a gang of foxes, or when a whole crowd of people were just sat giggling at someone in an inflatable dinosaur costume chasing a little boy who was laughing his head off. Or just whilst rewatching the foo Fighters set I noticed in the crowd what appeared to be a dad with his arms around his son both perfectly singing along to there goes my hero ... shut up no you're crying!

Feeling a bit jaded waiting for ed to come on, kids bickering, then a guy near us brings out these little baggies of glitter dust and promptly decided to glitter all us surrounding folk up - his joy was infectious and gave me a much needed lift.

The pride I felt with my daughters belting out Royal Blood word for word. Since going back to school they have educated their friends on who Royal Blood are and during quiz of the week in tutor time my daughter being disgusted ( along with her tutor) when all the rest laughing at the name foo fighters and asking who the hell they were. They've moved on from their one direction years!

50 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

Feeling a bit jaded waiting for ed to come on, kids bickering, then a guy near us brings out these little baggies of glitter dust and promptly decided to glitter all us surrounding folk up - his joy was infectious and gave me a much needed lift.

The pride I felt with my daughters belting out Royal Blood word for word. Since going back to school they have educated their friends on who Royal Blood are and during quiz of the week in tutor time my daughter being disgusted ( along with her tutor) when all the rest laughing at the name foo fighters and asking who the hell they were. They've moved on from their one direction years!

How did you handle the term time leave?  My daughter starts school in September and I'd love her to see the festival before she leaves school.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

How did you handle the term time leave?  My daughter starts school in September and I'd love her to see the festival before she leaves school.

They had tonsillitis! Though most of their teachers knew where they were. My son didn't come as not his thing so looked less suspicious as he was in school. They've had almost 100% attendance all year - only day off for a funeral, so didn't feel bad about it. We left after school weds so only 3 days missed. I knew if applied officially it would be turned down, but other schools may be more lenient, particularly at infant level.

Take her...she will undoubtedly love it!