Just now, Will-2609 said:

I reckon they are less relevant than both. Radiohead have legendary status and massive critical acclaim that keeps them relevant to teenagers getting into alternative music, and Foos have this to some extent, too. I doubt you'll get many teenagers getting into alternative music and seeking out The Killers' discography. Sure they have a few hits you still annoyingly hear everywhere but I'd file them away alongside KoL as not being relevant enough to headline anymore. Others will disagree but I don't see it happening. I didn't even realise they had a new single out or a new album on the way until I read it in here earlier.

Radiohead have legendary status and they were absolutely phenomenal on Friday, I'm not trying to knock them. But more people would have shown up the see The Killers. I think plenty of people will be getting into Hot Fuss now, it's always talked about as one of the best albums of the 00s in the media. If they were that irrelevant, they wouldn't have been able to sell out Hyde Park in like less than a day after going away for a few years. If you've avoided news of their new album then I don't see what that proves really, I've seen it talked about by your Radio 1s and NMEs, and it's not even got a release date or a cover or a tracklist or anything yet, you've just not seen it. It's not gone under the radar. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Meh, Radiohead are as entry level as it gets for alternative music. 

Apart from the 'teenager' comment starting with 'that keeps' at the end of Will's post, the rest is correct. 

Edit: oh hang on. Only read the edited quote. The first bit is right! 

Edited by Woffy

2 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Meh, Radiohead are as entry level as it gets for alternative music. 

Might as well start with the best, right?

I don't see how The Killers would be anymore boring a booking than the Foos or Arctics, I like the Arctics so not knocking them. At least they've disappeared for a few years and not done festivals to death. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Might as well start with the best, right?

The Replacements? ;)

1 minute ago, Chinaski_ said:

The Replacements? ;)

You've just undermined yer own post above there dude. There's some merit in that but a very arguable pick, tbh. 

Edit: oh fuck me. I'm going to bed. I can't take in sarcasm, irony or healthy food in my current state!!!

Edited by Woffy

15 minutes ago, Woffy said:

I absolutely didn't. 

Fucking hell. I was hoping to congratulate you on no uncontrolled excretions this year.

But if nothing else, your candour is to be admired. I think.

Hahaha hey my tent poo was controlled! This year's episode was defo the worst, though. I'm not 100% sure it's what happened but I do have a vague memory of pissing in my porch where I woke up and it wasn't raining so it can't have been rain I was soaked in. Thankfully (I think) we all already smelt so bad that no one could actually identify whether I smelt of piss or not.

It's odd because I'm normally a clean and tidy person. Glasto just fucks me to pieces.

That makes a change, my friends hate my candour :P

Tbh I don't really find things like that disgusting to talk about. Probably just weird on my part tbh.

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

Hahaha hey my tent poo was controlled! This year's episode was defo the worst, though. I'm not 100% sure it's what happened but I do have a vague memory of pissing in my porch where I woke up and it wasn't raining so it can't have been rain I was soaked in. Thankfully (I think) we all already smelt so bad that no one could actually identify whether I smelt of piss or not.

It's odd because I'm normally a clean and tidy person. Glasto just fucks me to pieces.

That makes a change, my friends hate my candour :P

Tbh I don't really find things like that disgusting to talk about. Probably just weird on my part tbh.

Will Candour. 

Has like a nice but filthy ring to it. 

Is Couchy still alive? Or is he a TWD-style Walker now? We made brief contact, then everything descended into AllBetsAreOFFfucko'dness. 

11 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Will Candour. 

Has like a nice but filthy ring to it. 

Is Couchy still alive? Or is he a TWD-style Walker now? We made brief contact, then everything descended into AllBetsAreOFFfucko'dness. 

Not actually sure. We messaged each other a few times on the Wed/Thu and then never again. Based on how much he forced me to meet him last year I can only assume he was dead once the contact between us stopped.

For me personally, booking the Killers is like booking Muse or Kings of Leon, I understand why they are booked and headlining, but I would be elsewhere. Seen all three before as well.

22 hours ago, budvar said:

I'd count them as "friends of the festival" as such would never rule out them being offered a headline slot - fair play to a band of that size for playing down the bill on the 4th stage to give fans a treat.

...which is very similar to how bands play (or played, it seems to have changed) Pilton Party for free (or very little) in exchange for a better-than-they-might-otherwise-get slot at the next festival.

It seems like a no-brainer to me, really, apart from Emily have said it was arranged 6 months ago, and 2 months ago she told me no one was booked for 2019 but 2 bands were lined up for 2020 .... so perhaps its the Killers in 2020.

27 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Irrelevant. 

IMG_20170629_191414.jpg

Are we talking Radio 1 or The Killers being irrelevant?

A case could be made for either.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Are we talking Radio 1 or The Killers being irrelevant?

A case could be made for either.

Hahaha, cmon. I don't like Radio 1 either but if we're calling it irrelevant we're calling every station irrelevant.

Can't see them headlining or see them playing anytime soon, but my word that secret set was brilliant, was hit after hit from my childhood which was really great, Mr Brightside I thought the roof was gunna blow off, never seen a crowd sing so loudly back! 

I would like them to headline so I can hear them play Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine, and Sam's Town, and Bones, and A Dustland Fairytale, and My List. Tranqualise is a cheeky little jam as well. Book em Emily.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's crackers that they're basically now a nostalgia act for folk in their mid-twenties.

Nah, that's not a fair assessment. 00s nostalgia, yes. But they're pretty much universal to any demographic who heard pop music at that time, they were as big with the mams and dads as they were with the kids. You'd never get Welsh Nev from the call centre at a Fratellis 10th anniv gig, but him and everybody he knows would be rocking up at The Killers if they played near wherever that business park is.

19 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I would like them to headline so I can hear them play Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine, and Sam's Town, and Bones, and A Dustland Fairytale, and My List. Tranqualise is a cheeky little jam as well. Book em Emily.

Personally I'd run a setlist like this.

Main Set

1.  Change Your Mind
  2.  Glamorous Indie Rock and Roll
  3.  Have all the Songs Been Written?
  4.  Uncle Johnny
  5.  Bling (Confessions of a King)
  6.  Tranquilize
  7.  Heart of a Girl
  8.  Where the White Boys Dance
  9.  Goodnight, Travel Well
  10.  The Ballad of Michael Valentine
  11.  Midnight Show
  12.  Jenny Was a Friend of Mine
  13.  Andy, You're A Star
  14.  From Here On Out
  15.  For Reasons Unknown
  16.  Read My Mind
  17.  Shot at the Night
  18.  Wonderful Wonderful
  19.  [Another song from Wonderful Wonderful]
  20.  Run for Cover
  21. The Man 
  22. Flesh and Bone 
  23. This Is Your Life
  24.  Leave the Bourbon on the Shelf
  25. Sam's Town 
  26. Sweet Talk 
  27. I Can't Stay
  28. My List
  29. Joseph, Better You Than Me (Guest Appearances from Elton John and Neil Tennant)
  30. Don't Shoot Me Santa 
  31. Dirt Sledding (Guest Appearances Ryan Pardey and Richard Dreyfuss)
  32. I Feel It In My Bones

Encore

1.  Human  
  2.  Miss Atomic Bomb
  3.  Somebody Told Me
  4.  Spaceman
  5.  All These Things That I Have Done
  6.  When You Were Young
  7. Smile Like You Mean It 
  8. Mr Brightside 
Edited by battleborn
  • Downvote 1

Maybe I was just in a late 20s / early 30s section of the populace that was simultaneously too old for it / had heard it all before and was yet too young to be exposed to it by my kids forcing it on me.

18 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I'm afraid you almost certainly wouldn't get Sam's Town, Bones, My List or Tranquilize played. My List has returned on recent setlists but I don't expect it to stick around, the other three, nope. Bones didn't even make the greatest hits album despite being one of the best performers in the charts which was bizarre. 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe I was just in a late 20s / early 30s section of the populace that was simultaneously too old for it / had heard it all before and was yet too young to be exposed to it by my kids forcing it on me.

If I might take you to a sidebar for a moment; you weren't at the Ridge & Furrow on Weds, why is this?