Just now, sisco said:

Irrelevancy?  Great festival band and are the only act to sell out Hyde Park this year.  

They'll tour there new album and sell out arenas up and down the country.  

Not saying they'll headline it in 2019 but irrelevant....fuck off.

Thousands of people paying to go see The Killers play Mr Brightside does not make them relevant. If their new album is any good I'll take it back, but as it stands they're still resting pretty heavily on one thirteen year old album (or more specifically, the singles that came from it). Which is why that hour long set was ace - the half of that album people like and then the one or two singles from the following albums that people remember.

If there was a festival on next year then maybe they'd have a chance, but don't see Glastonbury booking The Killers to headline off the back of a two year old album that most will've forgotten about by then.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Thousands of people paying to go see The Killers play Mr Brightside does not make them relevant. If their new album is any good I'll take it back, but as it stands they're still resting pretty heavily on one thirteen year old album (or more specifically, the singles that came from it). Which is why that hour long set was ace - the half of that album people like and then the one or two singles from the following albums that people remember.

If there was a festival on next year then maybe they'd have a chance, but don't see Glastonbury booking The Killers to headline off the back of a two year old album that most will've forgotten about by then.

Relevant for a festival is putting in a performance worthy of headlining, the crowd being happy and a massive number wanting to see them.  All them boxes would be ticked.

im not saying they're the pulling up trees with their later offerings but nor are the Foo Fighters.... went down ok didn't it?

2 minutes ago, sisco said:

I'm not saying they're the pulling up trees with their later offerings but nor are the Foo Fighters.... went down ok didn't it?

Foo Fighters have more than one album that people care about, and actually released a very good album before their most recent one.

Maybe irrelevant is the wrong choice of word... I just don't see the Glastonbury bookers giving The Killers a call to headline, much in the same way they wouldn't do the same for Kings of Leon, and probably Kasabian, and a ton of other headliners who were booked amid a bunch of hype but have kind of fallen off since.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Foo Fighters have more than one album that people care about, and actually released a very good album before their most recent one.

Maybe irrelevant is the wrong choice of word... I just don't see the Glastonbury bookers giving The Killers a call to headline, much in the same way they wouldn't do the same for Kings of Leon, and probably Kasabian, and a ton of other headliners who were booked amid a bunch of hype but have kind of fallen off since.

We'll see I guess, hope you enjoyed Radiohead anyway, I walked past to go to bootlegs as that's the only way from where I was I practically could. No need for an opinion on what I heard tbh as we know that.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

So from the set the other day that people loved....

Hot fuss - 4 songs

Day and Age - 2 songs

Battleborn - 1 song

Sams Town - 2 songs

Sawdust - 1 song

New Album - 1 song

I'm pretty sure they could find another 10 quite easily that'd keep everyone happy. Say 2/3 from the new album. Jenny was a friend of mine, Bones, Miss Atomic Bomb, A Dustland Fairytale, For reasons unknown. (Only 1 of them is from Hot Fuss).

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

We'll see I guess, hope you enjoyed Radiohead anyway, I walked past to go to bootlegs as that's the only way from where I was I practically could. No need for an opinion on what I heard tbh as we know that.

Radiohead were Friday.  Bootlegs were Sat and Sunday.

I think what everybody needs to remember is that with the 50th anniversary the following year the 2019 headliners are likley to be pretty dull. Anybody impressive or decent they might be able to get surely they'd want for the 50th anniversary. The caveat to that is that if they could get somebody like Floyd or Led Zep then I'm sure they'd take them whenever they could, but if they could choose I'm sure they'd want them for the 50th anniversary. What I'm saying is that any other year I'd say no way to the Killers headlining but if it's going to be any year I'd say it'd be the one before the big one.

The killers are definitely enough in all aspects to headline. The sheer excitement and crowd at the JP prove that, they shut the area off, when has that ever happened previously?

besides all their singalongs would be truly epic at the pyramid. You thought mr brightside was good in that tent imagine it on pyramid hil

whether they will or not is a totally different question

22 minutes ago, sisco said:

So from the set the other day that people loved....

Hot fuss - 4 songs

Day and Age - 2 songs

Battleborn - 1 song

Sams Town - 2 songs

Sawdust - 1 song

New Album - 1 song

I'm pretty sure they could find another 10 quite easily that'd keep everyone happy. Say 2/3 from the new album. Jenny was a friend of mine, Bones, Miss Atomic Bomb, A Dustland Fairytale, For reasons unknown. (Only 1 of them is from Hot Fuss).

1. Somebody Told Me
2. Spaceman
3. Wonderful Wonderful
4. Read My Mind
5. Miss Atomic Bomb
6. Run for Cover
7. Smile Like You Mean It
8. Some Kind of Love
9. Human
10. For Reasons Unknown
11. The Way It Was
12. Have All the Songs Been Written?
13. Bones
14. Runaways
15. The Man
16. Jenny Was a Friend of Mine
17. When You Were Young

18. Shot at the Night
19. Life to Come
20. All These Things That I've Done
21. Mr Brightside

Hot Fuss: 5
Sam's Town: 4
Day and Age: 2
Battle Born: 3
Direct Hits: 1
Wonderful Wonderful: 6

Something like that could work well, but again, new album would have to be a hit.

2 hours ago, sisco said:

Radiohead were Friday.  Bootlegs were Sat and Sunday.

I mean't Quo.

They'll either play Reading or IOW next year. 

4 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Over the last 5 years, which headliners haven't been dull bookings? The Stones, Arcade Fire, Metallica, Kanye, Adele.

Adele isn't dull? First time I've heard that. 

23 hours ago, Yokel Again said:

They are a funny band really, Hot Fuzz was amazing when it came out, great sets in 2004 & 2005, but I'm sorry, perhaps not their fault, but 2007 was appalling. 

I don't think they have necessarily been on the way down since, but the next album would be have to be pretty special for them not to be trading off 15 year old records in 2019.

cough radiohead cough foo fighters

Edited by eFestivals

2 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Adele isn't dull? First time I've heard that. 

In terms of the booking, she's quite obviously one the biggest Glastonbury coups ever.

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

In terms of the booking, she's quite obviously one the biggest Glastonbury coups ever.

Yup. Same as Sheeran this year.

And while the Killers wouldn't be that for 2019, they'd certainly be popular. I can't stand them myself and can't understand the fuss, but there's no doubting they've remained exceedingly popular from the way they sell festival tickets.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Ha. It's funny how it's fine for some bands but not others. Metallica still living off Enter Sandman, Arctics first album etc. 

16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

hmmm. They still sell millions of copies of the new stuff! 

Killers would be a strong bet for 2019 headliner i feel

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

hmmm. They still sell millions of copies of the new stuff! 

Killers would be a strong bet for 2019 headliner i feel

I think Killers also sell millions of their new stuff don't they? Just that even their fans don't think it's much cop.

Whatever, I wasn't trying to knock them, or the other bands i highlighted. Just by getting to headliner it generally means you've been around a long time.

I do think Killers could easily headline tho. It might be considered a bit lazy by many, but it would be hugely popular all the same. Following on from them doing a secret set this year seems to make perfect sense.

The only argument against The Killers headlining (in terms of it being realistic) that I agree with is that it'll be 2 years since a new album. Muse felt like a daft booking and Drones had only been out one year by the time they headlined. 

September 2017 album and then another in 2019 isn't impossible though, but when we've had one album from them since 2008 that definitely is not expected. I'd love it to happen but I'm gonna see them plenty of times on this tour regardless so I don't need it to happen.

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Following on from them doing a secret set this year seems to make perfect sense.

You think? I kind of took it to mean that they would've liked to be headlining, but the spots were all full up this year and there's no fest for them next year. Seems to me that they're leaving it pretty long between tours these days, so wouldn't have thought they'd still be up and running in 2019. As good as that JPT set was, the most I'd trust them with is 1hr 45min at an absolute max. They've got a reliable cache of enormous bangers, but outside of them it's a bit of a wasteland.

27 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I do think Killers could easily headline tho. It might be considered a bit lazy by many, but it would be hugely popular all the same. Following on from them doing a secret set this year seems to make perfect sense.

I'd count them as "friends of the festival" as such would never rule out them being offered a headline slot - fair play to a band of that size for playing down the bill on the 4th stage to give fans a treat.

Back in 2007 I swerved the Killers headline slot to go and watch Madness in Lost Vagueness, so I felt I owed it to them to miss Chic this time around. Reaction to Mr Brightside was insane (as Frank Carter said beforehand, slate it all you like, but it's an incredible song)

People worried about The Man signalling and flop album, might want to take a listen to Run for Cover and Have all the Songs Been Written from their Borgata performance (although I he only played a verse and chorus of the latter) in these videos; much better songs. 

Edited by battleborn

Just about managed to get in the JP for Frank Carter and the crowd/field was already rammed full of Killers fans. Left early for Haim and I was the only one heading in the opposite direction. An endless stream of people stretching all the way to the other stage!

They all looked so excited, and none of them will have got anywhere near the tent.