So it looks pretty certain that one of the 2019 headliners in 2019 is going to be The Killers, following there "secret" gig at John Peel to an enthusiastic crowd and the sheer amount of crushes around John Peel reported an hour before they even started (putting them in there was a weird decision). With another album due out in September, and no tour dates released yet aside from festivals running until October, it looks as though they could still be about in 2019. Looks like a nailed on headliner for Glasto 2019. Here's the thread to discuss any confirmation or further signs. 

Doesn't look "pretty certain" to me, far too many variables up in the air. For a start, if the rest of the new album is as bad as The Man, it'll end them.

• Upvote 1

I don't see them headlining. Despite pulling a huge crowd, I think yesterday was their shot at playing Glastonbury again and that'll be that as they've fallen largely in to irrelevancy (and I actually really like their new single - best thing they've done for years). They nailed that JP slot and it was fun to be in that crowd, but I also never want to hear Mr Brightside ever again. There will always be a better headliner option than The Killers.

Brandon even said it himself "You play John Peel twice in your career, once on the way up and once on the way down"

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

If the rest of the new album is as bad as The Man, it'll end them.

Its a grower. Needs a few plays as so much going on. Don't think it translates well live yet as Brandon is singing way to high pitched, and the backing singers are/were terrible..

but yeah, they'll be headlining 2019 for sure.

Edited by AThirteen

The JP set was a great singalong but I think the reason why I enjoyed it was because it was just an hour long, which meant back to back hits. I'm not quite sure they'd win over the crowd as easily over a ~2hr Pyramid set. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, zahidf said:

They sold out hyde park in a day. They can easily headline glasto.

They can. They're a big enough act. I'm just saying they won't.

They are a funny band really, Hot Fuzz was amazing when it came out, great sets in 2004 & 2005, but I'm sorry, perhaps not their fault, but 2007 was appalling. 

I don't think they have necessarily been on the way down since, but the next album would be have to be pretty special for them not to be trading off 15 year old records in 2019.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I don't see them headlining. Despite pulling a huge crowd, I think yesterday was their shot at playing Glastonbury again and that'll be that as they've fallen largely in to irrelevancy (and I actually really like their new single - best thing they've done for years). They nailed that JP slot and it was fun to be in that crowd, but I also never want to hear Mr Brightside ever again. There will always be a better headliner option than The Killers.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

They can. They're a big enough act. I'm just saying they won't.

I think this is stupid theory, an irrelevant band don't sell out a venue that only a few have that includes them and one of them had parents buying. You might not but shit loads will.

3 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

They are a funny band really, Hot Fuzz was amazing when it came out, great sets in 2004 & 2005, but I'm sorry, perhaps not their fault, but 2007 was appalling. 

I don't think they have necessarily been on the way down since, but the next album would be have to be pretty special for them not to be trading off 15 year old records in 2019.

headlined too early

3 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

Yep, Hot Fuzz was great (or at least the singles all were) and it's been diminishing returns ever since. They played a perfect hour long set yesterday - be pointless for them to come back, headline and remind everybody of all the not-so-great songs they have dotted through their back catalogue (and touring a two year old album - another reason I just don't see them there in 2019; Brandon will probably be all up in his solo stuff by then anyway).

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yep, Hot Fuzz was great (or at least the singles all were) and it's been diminishing returns ever since. They played a perfect hour long set yesterday - be pointless for them to come back, headline and remind everybody of all the not-so-great songs they have dotted through their back catalogue (and touring a two year old album - another reason I just don't see them there in 2019; Brandon will probably be all up in his solo stuff by then anyway).

I'd agree with this. Was gutted to miss them this year, but suppose saw the same thing more or less in 2004!

was stupid from security again to do nothing inside the tent to negate the crushes, they should have made a clear path for those going out and those going `in` to the tent, I went to try and leave after frank carter as the killers arent my cup of tea at all and it was just dangerous is all I can say, no control over the crowd at all like fighting against the tides just to get out of the tent, ok to block off the area and not let anymore people in but how about doing something to control the crowds already getting crushed inside? if someone had fallen over it could have gotten real nasty as there wouldnt have been room for them to get back up thats for damn sure. Same situation as up the railway at times esp when the ambulance was trying to get through thurs night and people were just being left to crush against one another however they wanted with noone trying to control the situation at all.

Crowd control def needs looking at next year, great fest but some genuinely worrying situations at times where I think simple `luck` stopped someone being hurt bad.

6 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Hot Fuzz

No luck catching them swans then?

Get them booked. They're the ultimate headliner, I take back every bad word I ever said about them.

I think we're all getting a bit carried away here to be honest. I'm sure The Killers would be a fine headliner but they would be a bit of a dull booking if they were headlining this year and I don't think the hype from the secret set is going to change that two years from now.

They can headling wherever and whenever they want. No chance of headlining though!

I think the killers deserve another shot , still selling out huge venues and there stock has never declined.

1 hour ago, brettredmayne said:

I think the killers deserve another shot , still selling out huge venues and there stock has never declined.

That's not correct, no one cared for ages....there is a reason why for a few years they didn't know what was going to happen themselves, guitarist wanted to leave etc. It's only in the last year there was a resurgence.

10 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I think we're all getting a bit carried away here to be honest. I'm sure The Killers would be a fine headliner but they would be a bit of a dull booking if they were headlining this year and I don't think the hype from the secret set is going to change that two years from now.

Over the last 5 years, which headliners haven't been dull bookings? The Stones, Arcade Fire, Metallica, Kanye, Adele. Worth accepting that by the very fact they're popular enough to headline, most bands are dull bookings. May as well get the one with the measurably more enormous tunes than the rest of the pack.

5 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Over the last 5 years, which headliners haven't been dull bookings? The Stones, Arcade Fire, Metallica, Kanye, Adele. Worth accepting that by the very fact they're popular enough to headline, most bands are dull bookings. May as well get the one with the measurably more enormous tunes than the rest of the pack.

Bit soon for Kanye to come back.

With the Arctic Monkeys also looking like a safe bet I wonder if Razorlight might be the band that Eavis wants to reform.

34 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

That's not correct, no one cared for ages....there is a reason why for a few years they didn't know what was going to happen themselves, guitarist wanted to leave etc. It's only in the last year there was a resurgence.

Last gig in the UK was Wembley, had some time off and then sold out Hyde park.

1 hour ago, brettredmayne said:

Last gig in the UK was Wembley, had some time off and then sold out Hyde park.

Didn't just have time off though, was well publicised things in the band weren't right. 

21 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Irrelevancy?  Great festival band and are the only act to sell out Hyde Park this year.  

They'll tour there new album and sell out arenas up and down the country.  

Not saying they'll headline it in 2019 but irrelevant....fuck off.