Alternative Recommendations for 2018

DownboundTrain52

If you want big and a bit (lot) crazy - boomtown

Smaller and  dj heavy with a great atmosphere - beatherder

Smaller but dj and atmos - shindig

Loud - 2000 trees

Champagne fridge and hipsters, a dog show and swimming pool but with a good line up - standon calling

Chill in the best looking location -  green man

Best chilled and vibe (100 % veggie which bothers some people)  - shambala

We did Sziget in the last fallow year. It was excellent. Beautiful setting and the option to go an explore Budapest is actively encouraged by the festival. If I remember correctly you get discounts at the city spas if you goto the festival. 

Only negatives were not being allowed to take your own booze in and the fact it's a long slog of a festival. A week long.

I am pondering Fuji Rock next year. I hear good things. But damn those tickets are expensive. Makes Glasto look cheap

Might look at Roskilde. Has anyone been before and can give any critique?

Sziget was great for the last fallow year, an easier slog than Glasto in some respects because it's a lot smaller, but has many of the good aspects of Glasto especially the late night partying. Furthermore the spas in the city really do act as a welcome hangover recovery. 

Edited by reflekting

41 minutes ago, reflekting said:

Might look at Roskilde. Has anyone been before and can give any critique?

Sziget was great for the last fallow year, an easier slog than Glasto in some respects because it's a lot smaller, but has many of the good aspects of Glasto especially the late night partying. Furthermore the spas in the city really do act as a welcome hangover recovery. 

I did Roskilde in 2006. I had a great time. To compare it to U.K. festivals;

- it has a similar charitable ethos to Glastonbury.

- In terms of the line-up, at the time at least, was much stronger and more diverse than any of the uk festivals that year. In 2006 the line up included; Roger waters, bob Dylan, Kanye west, Tool, scissor sisters, guns n roses, arctic monkeys, and a bunch I'm probably forgetting. Basically, a group of bands that could headline a few different U.K. fests. The line up in recent years has seemed less strong, but imo it's generally had a better mix of big heavier and hip hop acts than Glastonbury.

- there was a lot going on. Certainly more than the music-only festivals like Reading/Leeds here, but less than Glastonbury.

- however, the big difference is that the camping is separate from the music, so the music areas are closed at X time, when everyone is kicked out to the camping areas.

all in all I had a great time. it depends a little on the lineup but we're probably considering between Latitude and Roskilde for next year...

Festival wise Kendal Calling is on the cards. Brother and his mate want to try one and they live in Lancashire so close enough and enough mix of radio friendly acts and other stuff going on. I'd have leaned towards Boomtown but not sure it would be for them . 

Outside of that hoping for a US trip visiting Memphis, Nashville and New Orleans. 

All can be chucked away at a moment's notice in the unlikely event Michael or Emily is spotted anywhere near the local council

16 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

I would highly recommend primavera but it is not really very much like glastonbury, but if you love well curated lineups decent sound good weather and no mud it is hard to beat. 

I havent been, but for the non musical side of the festival i think port eliot looks wonderful

Perhaps worth a shout. I love Glastonbury - but it'd be a lie if I didn't say that the music is what draws me rather than the thousand other things. (They're still definitely good, but just as at ease with music only.)

52 minutes ago, Heather90 said:

Festival wise Kendal Calling is on the cards. Brother and his mate want to try one and they live in Lancashire so close enough and enough mix of radio friendly acts and other stuff going on. I'd have leaned towards Boomtown but not sure it would be for them . 

Outside of that hoping for a US trip visiting Memphis, Nashville and New Orleans. 

All can be chucked away at a moment's notice in the unlikely event Michael or Emily is spotted anywhere near the local council

We did the Memphis Nashville and NO trip in May this year incorporating 2 days at JazzFest (excellent non-camping festival especially if you like blues, jazz, gospel etc) - shout if you'd like any pointers!

49 minutes ago, septemberwillow said:

We did the Memphis Nashville and NO trip in May this year incorporating 2 days at JazzFest (excellent non-camping festival especially if you like blues, jazz, gospel etc) - shout if you'd like any pointers!

Thanks! Going to be around  November before we know exactly how many days my friend can get off work .  Can't plan properly til then. 

Trying not to look too much into other stuff until then so i don't have wild expectations at how many places we can get to. 

1 hour ago, Spacey said:

Is there any festival that has a theatre circus area of the quality of Glastonbury with some good music as well. Maybe Avalon/ Acoustic like?

Sziget does - the circus area is really strong & it has loads of different areas like Glastonbury. It also has a Blues Stage and a world class Classical Stage, as well as a museum quarter. I won't say anymore because it's nice to be surprised.

You can get a city pass wristband for about £13 which allows you to use all the buses trams, trains and boats. It also allows one free entry to a spa. Last year we did tickets, flights, and a flat in central Budapest (off Booking.com) for under £1000 for the 2 of us. We started out taking the tube to & from the festival (and it takes no longer than nipping back to your tent in Bushy from The Pyramid), and then switched to boat - a spectacular (but slightly slower) journey down the Danube every day. Of course you can camp and there are lots of different options within the festival.

The line up over 7 days won't have loads of acts you are dying to see, but the stuff you have never heard of is a pretty consistently good quality and a lot of fun.

As it is a park rather than a farm it feels tidier and less edgy than Glastonbury, but there is loads about it that is similar. It also has an amazingly beautiful international flavour - every next person you talk to is from somewhere else in the world. I reckon if 2 Hungarians net there they would start their conversation in English. It was a fabulous place to be after Brexit last year.

Edited by amfy
To add the bit about camping.