Headliners 2019

nban2010

5 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

2019: Arctic Monkeys, Beyonce, Fleetwood Mac

2020: Kendrick Lamar, Blur, Elton John

I would personally enjoy that! I think they said that two acts had been booked for 2020 which could in theory be Blur and Elton John.

I'm of the mind as above that EJ is floating between a headliner and the legends slot. Glasto wouldn't give him the top one, he'd not be on board for the legends slot. But who knows.

I think the legends slot is almost as good as the headliner these days. They get a great Sunday afternoon TV coverage time and there's usually a lot of goodwill towards them - expectations are pretty low and people just want to have a good time. Imagine the opprobrium if Lionel Richie was given a headline slot a couple of years ago? I'd like to think some of these artists like Elton consider this. 

Monkeys are shout if they have a new album and are touring again though 2013 feels not long ago, Fleetwood Mac look to be touring again next year, 2019 could be the final time maybe?, I guess depends on the price, I thought Taylor Swift may be a shout but with Katy Perry third down I think taylor could sub? 

52 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Know him personally do you?

Don't need to, his own venues he does are distinctly average at best now. It might be okay if he went away for a few years and built some hype about his shows but it's not like you don't know if you don't see him this year you can next June.....that's way too predictable and gives Glasto nothing in reason to want to aim for him either. The fact he said he hasn't been asked and it's not as if his management would think oh your doing Exeter Stadium next week....FUCK YEAH!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Fleetwood Mac need to be sold the dream of the BBC coverage. £200k between them after tax and all the other expenses would barely break £15-20k each. In short they're never going to do it for that.

Does make me wonder the importance of the role that Mick Jagger's kids played in twisting his arm to get the Stones to play.

4 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Unless Fleetwood Mac are willing to get into the Glasto spirit and take a cut fee, it's not happening. 

Arctic Monkeys are working on a new album and have been since Christmas, it's highly unlikely it's not out before 2019, guess would be it's out early 2018 ready for that years festival season, a stadium tour over the winter and then still going into 2019. 

Yeah the general agreement is that they're asking too much of a high price, which is a shame

Agree with Arctic Monkeys too, can see the new album being early next year and still comfortable touring into 2019

Just now, thewayiam said:

Don't need to, his own venues he does are distinctly average at best now. It might be okay if he went away for a few years and built some hype about his shows but it's not like you don't know if you don't see him this year you can next June.....that's way too predictable and gives Glasto nothing in reason to want to aim for him either. The fact he said he hasn't been asked and it's not as if his management would think oh your doing Exeter Stadium next week....FUCK YEAH!

I admit that his obsession with playing every provincial football stadium in the UK is slightly odd, but he would still draw a huge crowd at any time at GF.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Does make me wonder the importance of the role that Mick Jagger's kids played in twisting his arm to get the Stones to play.

There must come a point where surely they have enough money and just do it purely for the thrill of playing one of the most famous venues on Earth? Especially when you're British.

Edited by Hugh Jass

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I admit that his obsession with playing every provincial football stadium in the UK is slightly odd, but he would still draw a huge crowd at any time at GF.

Yeah but so does every Legend basically, the fact he does this though and tickets don't fly out so for my not knowing him doesn't exactly matter does it.

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Glastonbury is a huge anomoly. Half the people at Glastonbury wouldn't go to an Elton gig and wouldn't buy a ticket for a festival based on Elton headlining it, but people go to Glastonbury and they completely change their tastes and go fucking mental for stuff like that, it'd be a roadblock, and if he was legend the biggest crowd the festival had ever seen.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

There must come a point where surely they have enough money and just do it purely for the thrill of playing one of the most famous venues on Earth? Especially when you're British.

Isn't this the same band that charge about £1000 for tickets for their gigs, that also get you a 'meet and greet' which is basically a photo with them?

18 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Glastonbury is a huge anomoly. Half the people at Glastonbury wouldn't go to an Elton gig and wouldn't buy a ticket for a festival based on Elton headlining it, but people go to Glastonbury and they completely change their tastes and go fucking mental for stuff like that, it'd be a roadblock, and if he was legend the biggest crowd the festival had ever seen.

Didn't stop Dolly or Lionel playing it though did it and Elton wouldn't overpower it more than Dolly did.