Headliners 2019

nban2010

Just now, rpfranks said:

Moving away from Swedish House Mafia - in a move which will probably annoy just as many people - do people really think Kendrick Lamar is big enough to headline Glastonbury?

Don't get me wrong I really like him but I saw him headline Benicassim and I didn't really feel a 'big' headline set from him...and nor was there a massive crowd...would he not be suited better to Other headline or a Pyramid sub?

having seen him twice now, I definitely don't think he has enough to do it at present. saw him headlining a festival here and it was fine, but definitely not memorable. if he (ie. the band) performed the songs straight it might have been good, but loads he messed around with the arrangements and it was all very disjointed. Kanye's Pyramid slot was far better. it might work to a Wireless crowd, but not as a Pyramid headliner.

Drake is more likely if we're talking about raps acts IMO.

Just now, ghostdancer1 said:

having seen him twice now, I definitely don't think he has enough to do it at present. saw him headlining a festival here and it was fine, but definitely not memorable. if he (ie. the band) performed the songs straight it might have been good, but loads he messed around with the arrangements and it was all very disjointed. Kanye's Pyramid slot was far better. it might work to a Wireless crowd, but not as a Pyramid headliner.

Drake is more likely if we're talking about raps acts IMO.

Bit of an echo chamber in here at times, even the odd / small headliners like Mumford & Sons have appeal to the masses/BBC, Kendrick Lamar doesn't. If he does ever play it'll probably be headlining Other or subbing Pyramid, similar to where I feel The Weeknd would sit if he eventually played.

8 minutes ago, rpfranks said:

Moving away from Swedish House Mafia - in a move which will probably annoy just as many people - do people really think Kendrick Lamar is big enough to headline Glastonbury?

Don't get me wrong I really like him but I saw him headline Benicassim and I didn't really feel a 'big' headline set from him...and nor was there a massive crowd...would he not be suited better to Other headline or a Pyramid sub?

Agree, love Kendrick but can't see him ever being big enough to do it. He needs a run of tunes and album that smashes into the mainstream consciousness like Jay-Z and Kanye managed before he can be considered.

11 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Ah come off it. There's a difference between pointing out that Justin Bieber - manufactured crap - is not worthy of the pyramid stage and being delusion enough to think my opinion matters at all to the Eavis's in organising the festival.

I think Justin Bieber is fucking terrible but he's got more talent than SHM put together.

Im calling bullshit.

I'm not having it.

1 hour ago, battleborn said:

Go on explain to me why they are better. Kanye just talks shit over music and Jay Z is one of the most overrated artists of all time along with his wife.

This was the tipping point for me. Not liking West and Carter is somewhat understandable, if you arent a fan of the genre in general then there is a case for not seeing them as good enough (wrongly, but still a case). But then you slip in the dig on B right at the end. That's when I knew it was all a ruse.

I would love Kendrick to do it, but agree with the posts above. Not sure he has had the crossover appeal like Kanye/Jay Z to get the slot. Fantastic artist though.

I'm suspicious Drake will pitch up at Glastonbury somehow, although he does have that crossover appeal. 'Half a million for a show' and all that chat, I feel like he's not really one for the Glastonbury spirit and is all about the business...

I'm sure the Arctic Monkeys will end up with another pyramid headliner slot at some point, and I can see Gaga or Swifty in the Ed Sheeran style spot.

4 minutes ago, jplewes said:

I would love Kendrick to do it, but agree with the posts above. Not sure he has had the crossover appeal like Kanye/Jay Z to get the slot. Fantastic artist though.

I'm suspicious Drake will pitch up at Glastonbury somehow, although he does have that crossover appeal. 'Half a million for a show' and all that chat, I feel like he's not really one for the Glastonbury spirit and is all about the business...

I'm sure the Arctic Monkeys will end up with another pyramid headliner slot at some point, and I can see Gaga or Swifty in the Ed Sheeran style spot.

I fear Gaga's headline chances have died with Joanna's flop.

3 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

I agree with you that The Killers probably aren't headline size anymore.

Lethal Bizzle isnt as big as Lorde, Stormzy or Emeli Sande, and I dont think he will be by 2019.

I'd argue that Bastille are already starting to drop off. The new album didnt do aswell as their first I dont think? Also those young fans you mention will have grown up by then and most likely their music tastes will have developed. I may be totally wrong though.

The Killers could go either way but it's not outrageous to think they could do a Biffy and sub in 2010 I'll say on this option, I'm not sure 2019 is going to be majorly strong enough for them to sub unless it was to FM.

TBH, Lorde isn't as big as people think she is, tiny Glasto crowd tbh given the expected. Bastille are starting to drop off, I know they have sub at Reading but Liam and Blossoms have sub/3rd at too. Seeing Liam mind hasn't convinced me to get a ticket for Leeds at all with Liam.

2 hours ago, nikkic said:

Swedish House Mafia might reform and headline Creamfields, even V Festival at a push, but there is not a cat in hells chance they will be anywhere near The Pyramid. 

It would take Steve to be bothered really, he wasn't for a while at the end.

5 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Sooner or later Gaga will do something which sticks and she'll have her big comeback. Probably won't be in time for 2019 mind. 

She basically needs to put out The Fame II to be considered headline worthy. Right now her stock isn't much higher than Katy Perry, and she was only third down.

2 minutes ago, rpfranks said:

Elton more suited to the legends slot surely?

Nope. Still going full guns in the showmanship / musicianship dept. His band rock hard and he puts on a hell of a show. He is in the same league as the Stones and the Who, not Bazza, ELO and Lionel (as much as I loved all 3 of those sets).

4 hours ago, battleborn said:

Nope it's who I think it will be. Why on earth would I want to see Lethal Bizzle anywhere near the festival? 

Why is there such hostility against the idea of Swedish House Mafia headlining on this thread? Other bands have headlined after less than 3 albums, and other electronic/dance acts have headlined? I'm mean if Chase and Status can sub download (and get a decent reaction, even more), anything's possible!

Also, why do people think the idea that REM or ABBA could headline (I see the Legends slot as honorary headliner), yes there split up at the moment but there's two years for them to reform and as far as REM are concerned there's no hostility. As far as ABBA concerned they've sort of been working together recently. 

Are SHM going to recreate their tunes live or are they just going to press play?