Jump to content
nban2010

Headliners 2019

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Perhaps if the Lordstress were to don a prosthetic beard and start banging on about swarms of bees then the good people of Manchester would clasp her to their collective bosom.

They sing about bees, and we like bees. It's up to Ella and the Lord lads whether she wants to chase that lucrative market.

Also gigs are expensive, so bands that appeal to dweeby programmers or graphic designers have an unfair advantage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And we'll never be Royals*
It don't run in our blood
That kind of lux just ain't for us
We crave a different kind of buzz**

 

 

*Like a queen bee

** Like the buzz of a bee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Also gigs are expensive, so bands that appeal to dweeby programmers or graphic designers have an unfair advantage.

Ha ha ! Whoever told you graphic designers are well paid?! Obviously we do it for the love and the high-fives!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

So honestly, how come she owned the other stage - while clashing with Radiohead, no less - and the National got a lukewarm reception while not crashing with anyone too major (Stormzy maybe)?

Maybe their decision to play 4 new songs in a row influenced this though...

Some are yet to discover her majesty but the Lorde is a rewarder of those who diligently seek her (Hebrews 11:6)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

It was a crowd of people fleeing for the lives from Radiohead, reveling in the sheer joy that they've escaped Tom York's weird yodeling.

Not even that, as she clashed with the beginning of Radiohead. Even if the audience left after 5 minutes of Radiohead - highly unlikely - by the time they'll walk to the other stage she'll be pretty much finishing her show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone think Passion Pit could headline the other with one more stellar album out. All of Manners, Gossamer and Kindred have been very successful on an international scale and if "Tremendous Sea of Love" follows this pattern they'd be great other stage headliners. The sort of band that makes great music but would never be appropriate for the main stage headline slot. 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

Not even that, as she clashed with the beginning of Radiohead. Even if the audience left after 5 minutes of Radiohead - highly unlikely - by the time they'll walk to the other stage she'll be pretty much finishing her show.

Drastically underestimating the ice-cold terror a giant screen saying "The Radio Heads are on next" strikes into the heart of all peaceful, freedom-loving peoples of the world there, friend.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Does anyone think Passion Pit could headline the other with one more stellar album out. All of Manners, Gossamer and Kindred have been very successful on an international scale and if "Tremendous Sea of Love" follows this pattern they'd be great other stage headliners. The sort of band that makes great music but would never be appropriate for the main stage headline slot. 

Passion Pit would struggle to open The Other let alone headline it. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think most of the crowd scampering from Whiny and the Shitbeats wound up at The Park for the Waynefest.

We went to Dizzee. Can you believe that chump doesn't even know the words to oggy oggy oggy oi oi oi? Thinks it's olly olly olly oi oi oi. Say what you like about Tom York, but he know all his songs go "hrrrrmmmrrrrwwwhnnhuh aaaaiiiiieeeeeeeaaaaa nnnrrrrbbrdddd"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think most of the crowd scampering from Whiny and the Shitbeats wound up at The Park for the Waynefest.

Scampering? Whiny and the Shitbeats played on the same stage as the Lips, directly before them.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rihanna and Drake are future headliners. I can deffo see Tame Impala headlining one day as long as the others are uber-mainstream

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm well up for Tame Impala headlining off a massive 4th album. If the whole argument for The xx to headline (they won't btw) is based on the perceived success of their sub slot, it was my impression at least that Tame were even more successful. Crowd was wild as soon as they smashed into Let it Happen, in a slot before Adele that by all means they were expected to flop in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, nikkic said:

Passion Pit would struggle to open The Other let alone headline it. 

On what are you basing that dubious assertion on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Mash011 said:

I'm well up for Tame Impala headlining off a massive 4th album. If the whole argument for The xx to headline (they won't btw) is based on the perceived success of their sub slot, it was my impression at least that Tame were even more successful. Crowd was wild as soon as they smashed into Let it Happen, in a slot before Adele that by all means they were expected to flop in.

I love both acts and loved both sets, I'd equally love to see both headline at some stage. Of the two performances Tame Impala probably shaded it for me, but only because I was in the front pit so it was that little bit more immersive, for the XX I was much further back but it was still my set of the weekend. As a fan of both I'm curious as to why you think Tame Impala could headline and the XX won't through? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, battleborn said:

On what are you basing that dubious assertion on?

Because they're a small band who have been on the wane and a victim of diminishing returns album-wise since their debut. Best they could do these days is mid-John Peel, similar to their 2009 set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FloorFiller said:

Because they're a small band who have been on the wane and a victim of diminishing returns album-wise since their debut. Best they could do these days is mid-John Peel, similar to their 2009 set.

What a load of rubbish, they'd be potential headliners in a few years. The other stage would be a brilliant stepping stone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, battleborn said:

What a load of rubbish, they'd be potential headliners in a few years. The other stage would be a brilliant stepping stone. 

Oh wait I didn't realise it was you I was replying to. Never mind!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FloorFiller said:

Oh wait I didn't realise it was you I was replying to. Never mind!

What's up, suddenly realised you're wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×