Headliners 2019

nban2010

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The XX took three years from first to second album and 5 years from second to third, so they'd have to seriously pick the pace up to get an album out again for 2019, not that I wouldn't love it to happen mind.

Yeah I realise it would be a lot quicker turnaround than before, so it's improbable, but not impossible. From reading various interviews with them recently it does seem like they have the bug for writing and performing back, something Romy and Oli admit came from watching Jamie do his own live shows. 

I think this album has almost seen them go from reluctant pop stars to almost an acceptance of their talent and ability as a group. Hopefully that means another album sooner rather than later! 

dunno who the far bigger acts you're referring to are, but apart from having Florence and the Machine back and Foals making the jump, I can't see any of the others who have subbed in the last 4 years headlining in 2019. there's some bigger acts (eg. Elbow, Pharrell, Biffy Clyro), but they're either not headline acts or on the slide. The XX are going from strength to strength these days.

Edited by ghostdancer1

5 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

For full headliner you're probably right,  But I could easily see him headlining Other in 2019.

I can't, don't think it'll happen. He'd either miss it out after getting a huge slot after the previous or sub the Pyramid imo.

4 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Should have done that this year :( 

No he shouldn't

55 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

dunno who the far bigger acts you're referring to are, but apart from having Florence and the Machine back and Foals making the jump, I can't see any of the others who have subbed in the last 4 years headlining in 2019. there's some bigger acts (eg. Elbow, Pharrell, Biffy Clyro), but they're either not headline acts or on the slide. The XX are going from strength to strength these days.

The XX will defo get there, I'd love to see FATM do it again too. Stormzy, The XX and FATM headline Variety Bazzar.

54 minutes ago, sisco said:

People keep saying 2021, but won't that be the Variety Bazzar with a fallow year at Glastonbury? 

I don't think there is a fallow, there is just another event isn't there?, but if so then given the name I can't think of a better act to top it than Stormzy, I wouldn't go mind. 

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Coexist sold more in two days than I See You has to date. Honestly, even though I didn't really like the new album there are very few acts I'd like to see get there more but other than the positive reaction here about the set I don't see what they have to put them up there. They just seem to have plateaued and five years down the line or so I don't see them being any more appealing a prospect than now. It'd be like Nick Cave headlining.

11 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Biffy at their peak were deemed 'not big enough' to headline and The XX aren't as big as Biffy were then, or seemingly going to get there. Plus, what are their massive hits? There were multiple songs on I See You that could've taken off but didn't for whatever reason so it's difficult to see anything they put out reaching having massive crossover appeal in the future.

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

Biffy at their peak were deemed 'not big enough' to headline and The XX aren't as big as Biffy were then, or seemingly going to get there. Plus, what are their massive hits? There were multiple songs on I See You that could've taken off but didn't for whatever reason so it's difficult to see anything they put out reaching having massive crossover appeal in the future.

I get what you're saying, but their set was very well received, I know it's only anecdotal but everyone I know who didn't go asked if I saw the XX, everybody who was there or wasn't there thought they were brilliant. With one more decent album I think they'd translate brilliantly into a Pyramid headliner, Biffy would just be another rock band, we have one do it pretty much every year. Sometimes 2+2 doesn't = 4.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

You see the problem is, I don't like Biffy and never have.  But I really like the xx, so they're going to be headliners one day.

I hope that clears things up.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You see the problem is, I don't like Biffy and never have.  But I really like the xx, so they're going to be headliners one day.

I hope that clears things up.

Me too. I will continue to look through my rose tinted X shaped glasses until proven otherwise! 

The XX are better than Biffy*, but they still feel too subtle and intricate to be a successful Pyramid Headliner.  It's not just about size and record sales - it's also about charisma and firepower.  What's good for soundtracking a dinner party doesn't necessarily translate to stadiums.

* Not that that's saying much 

If we accept the argument that The xx have plateaued, at some point the festival will have to start giving acts like that the opportunity to headline. It seems clear that British acts struggle to get beyond the sub headliner level (Biffy and Foals being good examples). It might be the catalyst to take a band like The xx to another level, just as it did for so many acts in 90s/early 00s.  

I'd still peg Flo as a headliner for 2019. She (they) seem to be the act that have the best chance of going to that next level and hopefully a new album and a properly billed headline slot will take them there.