Headliners 2019

nban2010

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I love both acts and loved both sets, I'd equally love to see both headline at some stage. Of the two performances Tame Impala probably shaded it for me, but only because I was in the front pit so it was that little bit more immersive, for the XX I was much further back but it was still my set of the weekend. As a fan of both I'm curious as to why you think Tame Impala could headline and the XX won't through? 

Partly because I like Tame Impala more and I'm a biased motherfucker. I not entirely convinced that they'll headline either - the jump from sub to headline is a massive one and there's a lot more to it than just people liking your sub slot.

But also I think The xx just aren't suited to being that kind of band. They lack I guess what you could call the sense of 'spectacle' that you want from that kind of arena-type mega band. There's a reason why for example on their most recent tour they chose a run at Brixton rather than a big show at the o2 or whatever. The few they do at the end edge them closer in the right direction - most notably Loud Places, which is also notable for being not their song, because it's actually kind of contrary to their identity as a group.

Oh, and also, Romy and that other feller with a guitar are boring uncharismatic performers who would flop completely. We all know Jamie's the good one, and he's hidden at the back!

Maybe they'll do it. I dunno. I wouldn't watch.

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The XX's latest album may not have flown off the shelves or be in the average Joe Bloggs consciousness (aka Sheeran) but it's a fucking great album, as many will testify it's a massive grower and many have suggested it is actually better than the first. Equally the songs also transform live. I think how suitable a band will be to headline the Pyramid shouldn't always be about record sale, popularity, trajectory. I'd hazard a guess that if you made Tame Impala and the XX headliners their popularity would go through the roof, as more people would get to experience what they are.

I don't know, I think the album's quite forgettable, and in other indie forums I write in, it's usually never mentioned in AOTY discussion, eclipsed by Fleet Foxes/Kendrick/etc. And that's before LCD, National, Arcade Fire etc dropping later this year. It didn't make a big impact and it seems only marginally better than Coexist. Their debut album is huge but they didn't make any meaningful progress since, neither musical nor commercial.

I mean, headlining Glastonbury is fucking tough. Look at Gorillaz - they have 2 hits much bigger than anything the XX have, they have one of the most charismatic and loved frontmens in the UK. They had a huge show, full of high-profile guests. A big band, great stage design, their songs are a lot more danceable and upbeat than the XX. And - when they headlined, they flopped.

Now, 'Plastic Beach' is kind of similar to 'I See You', level-wise - it's a good album, fans of the band loved it, but it failed to create any meaningful impact, no hits, no critical raving and no significant step forward. And it proved too weak for a headline performance.

Hell, ever Radiohead, in one of their most hits-heavy sets since forever, were considered too boring for some of the crowd.

If they failed, I can't really see the XX making it. Subbing the pyramid is very, very different than headlining. I'm sure Gorillaz would ace the sub-slot, but from a headliner you just expect more.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Standards are high.  If you don't have an arsenal of world beating bangers up your sleeve then you shouldn't even think about applying for the job.

thankfully the bookers seem to have realised this too and learnt from the mistakes of 2014's Friday and Saturday headliners. 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

2014 not a vintage year at the top of the table, by any measure.  But I'd argue that both Arcade Fire and Metallica deserved their shot.  More so than the Poundstretcher Primal Scream.

Definitely deserved it, I don't like Metallica but they are a huge legendary band with loads of big songs, and Arcade Fire deserved their shot and gave it quite an admirable effort IMO. 

1 minute ago, Zac Quinn said:

Also because nobody would've batted an eyelid if two of them had been booked for the Other Stage instead.

Pretty sure plenty of eyelids were being batted when Metallica were being suggested for the Other, and I'm pretty sure it would've been the case for the other two as well.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Yeah must suck to be in a band where the most interesting song in your setlist came out of a side-project by the guy hidden at the back. 

Nah mate, Arcade Fire don't pay any of Owen Pallett or Sarah Neufeld or Colin Stetson's stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Comments on that are awful, but then they usually are.

I had to get past West Holts while he was on and it was as rammed as I've seen it. I'm not a fan but fair dues to him, it surprised the hell out of my group. I doubt that would translate to a Pyramid Headliner but he had enough of a crowd to be an "Other" contender.

2014 is the only time I have ever seen all 3 headliners.

Arcade Fire and Metallica were must sees. Kasabian - as nothing else appealed and I was walking from West Holts after Bonobo.

In fact, Kasabian are the last headliner I have seen.... which is pretty gutting. I would like to see one more.

Couple of bangers and one very solid record but walks around like he hasn't produced his own shed load of shit... Yawn.

Dizzee Rascal, for me, is a classic case of 'Yeah, fair play, that's alright' but then laaaaaame interviews and quotes appear everywhere and it very quickly becomes tedious and boring thus losing any interest it had initially sparked.

Edited by jyoung

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Well Dizzee Rascal thinks he should headline (Warning: Cringey interview alert)....

http://www.nme.com/news/music/dizzee-rascal-radiohead-gorillaz-glastonbury-same-reaction-headliner-2112242

Common consensus is he blew his chance to demonstrate he could ever headline with that misjudged setlist in 2013, innit? He's unquestionably important in terms of the history/development of British music in the 21st Century, but that and a few old bangers is all he has going for him these days. Playing the same slot as Sigma at V Festival this year and even that's probably a touch on the generous side, haven't heard anyone so much as mention this new album he's supposedly promoting.

Edited by Zac Quinn

Dizzee is not, never has been and never will be, a main stage headliner. There's certainly a place for him though, his sets are usually all kinds of fun (2013 big screen duets with Robbie Williams aside). I was pretty disappointed that he clashed at GF, one of those acts I'll always be happy to see.

• 10 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 12:52 PM, battleborn said:

How about:

Main Stage

Friday Swedish House Mafia subbed by Chemical Brothers

Saturday Arctic Monkeys subbed by The Killers

Sunday R.E.M subbed by The Verve with ABBA in legends spot.

Other Stage

Friday The 1975 subbed by Bastille

Saturday Boy Better Know subbed by Lethal Bizzle

Sunday Chase and Status subbed by Major Lazer

There's been increasing signals Swedish House Mafia could reform and if any "dance" act can headline Glastonbury it's them, Daft Punk or Chemical Brothers. R.E.M have said they split up because they'd achieved everything they set out to, but maybe a few years on they could reform. With an Arctic Monkeys album rumoured for 2018 they would be sure fires if it hits the spot as well as AM?

Wrong thread.

Edited by Hugh Jass
Duh!