Headliners 2019

nban2010

7 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

So honestly, how come she owned the other stage - while clashing with Radiohead, no less - and the National got a lukewarm reception while not crashing with anyone too major (Stormzy maybe)?

It was a crowd of people fleeing for the lives from Radiohead, reveling in the sheer joy that they've escaped Tom York's weird yodeling.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Perhaps if the Lordstress were to don a prosthetic beard and start banging on about swarms of bees then the good people of Manchester would clasp her to their collective bosom.

They sing about bees, and we like bees. It's up to Ella and the Lord lads whether she wants to chase that lucrative market.

Also gigs are expensive, so bands that appeal to dweeby programmers or graphic designers have an unfair advantage.

27 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Also gigs are expensive, so bands that appeal to dweeby programmers or graphic designers have an unfair advantage.

Ha ha ! Whoever told you graphic designers are well paid?! Obviously we do it for the love and the high-fives!

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

So honestly, how come she owned the other stage - while clashing with Radiohead, no less - and the National got a lukewarm reception while not crashing with anyone too major (Stormzy maybe)?

Maybe their decision to play 4 new songs in a row influenced this though...

Some are yet to discover her majesty but the Lorde is a rewarder of those who diligently seek her (Hebrews 11:6)

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

It was a crowd of people fleeing for the lives from Radiohead, reveling in the sheer joy that they've escaped Tom York's weird yodeling.

Not even that, as she clashed with the beginning of Radiohead. Even if the audience left after 5 minutes of Radiohead - highly unlikely - by the time they'll walk to the other stage she'll be pretty much finishing her show.

11 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

Not even that, as she clashed with the beginning of Radiohead. Even if the audience left after 5 minutes of Radiohead - highly unlikely - by the time they'll walk to the other stage she'll be pretty much finishing her show.

Drastically underestimating the ice-cold terror a giant screen saying "The Radio Heads are on next" strikes into the heart of all peaceful, freedom-loving peoples of the world there, friend.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Does anyone think Passion Pit could headline the other with one more stellar album out. All of Manners, Gossamer and Kindred have been very successful on an international scale and if "Tremendous Sea of Love" follows this pattern they'd be great other stage headliners. The sort of band that makes great music but would never be appropriate for the main stage headline slot. 

Passion Pit would struggle to open The Other let alone headline it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think most of the crowd scampering from Whiny and the Shitbeats wound up at The Park for the Waynefest.

We went to Dizzee. Can you believe that chump doesn't even know the words to oggy oggy oggy oi oi oi? Thinks it's olly olly olly oi oi oi. Say what you like about Tom York, but he know all his songs go "hrrrrmmmrrrrwwwhnnhuh aaaaiiiiieeeeeeeaaaaa nnnrrrrbbrdddd"

I'm well up for Tame Impala headlining off a massive 4th album. If the whole argument for The xx to headline (they won't btw) is based on the perceived success of their sub slot, it was my impression at least that Tame were even more successful. Crowd was wild as soon as they smashed into Let it Happen, in a slot before Adele that by all means they were expected to flop in.

15 hours ago, Mash011 said:

I'm well up for Tame Impala headlining off a massive 4th album. If the whole argument for The xx to headline (they won't btw) is based on the perceived success of their sub slot, it was my impression at least that Tame were even more successful. Crowd was wild as soon as they smashed into Let it Happen, in a slot before Adele that by all means they were expected to flop in.

I love both acts and loved both sets, I'd equally love to see both headline at some stage. Of the two performances Tame Impala probably shaded it for me, but only because I was in the front pit so it was that little bit more immersive, for the XX I was much further back but it was still my set of the weekend. As a fan of both I'm curious as to why you think Tame Impala could headline and the XX won't through? 

7 minutes ago, battleborn said:

On what are you basing that dubious assertion on?

Because they're a small band who have been on the wane and a victim of diminishing returns album-wise since their debut. Best they could do these days is mid-John Peel, similar to their 2009 set.

10 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I love both acts and loved both sets, I'd equally love to see both headline at some stage. Of the two performances Tame Impala probably shaded it for me, but only because I was in the front pit so it was that little bit more immersive, for the XX I was much further back but it was still my set of the weekend. As a fan of both I'm curious as to why you think Tame Impala could headline and the XX won't through? 

Well, I don't think either will unless there are drastic changes to the festivals booking policy but there's an argument that despite being smaller, Tame Impala are still rising whereas The xx are chilling where they're at.

But honestly I'll take either of those as their headline slot already. The sub slot is a lot different at Glastonbury to anywhere else and there's added expectation but also added reward, so coming back in the next few years and playing a couple of hours later with an added 15 mins doesn't seem that differente.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Well, I don't think either will unless there are drastic changes to the festivals booking policy but there's an argument that despite being smaller, Tame Impala are still rising whereas The xx are chilling where they're at.

But honestly I'll take either of those as their headline slot already. The sub slot is a lot different at Glastonbury to anywhere else and there's added expectation but also added reward, so coming back in the next few years and playing a couple of hours later with an added 15 mins doesn't seem that differente.

I think this is potentially where we start to go round in circles and bands are looked at purely on size and popularity etc. Ed Sheeran was pretty much a universally unpopular booking on here, and his record sales are bigger than any bodies. His performance was average and just kind of went through the motions. The XX have a million more listeners on Spotify than Tame Impala, but that's by the by, as I mentioned I'm a huge fan of both. The XX's latest album may not have flown off the shelves or be in the average Joe Bloggs consciousness (aka Sheeran) but it's a fucking great album, as many will testify it's a massive grower and many have suggested it is actually better than the first. Equally the songs also transform live. I think how suitable a band will be to headline the Pyramid shouldn't always be about record sale, popularity, trajectory. I'd hazard a guess that if you made Tame Impala and the XX headliners their popularity would go through the roof, as more people would get to experience what they are.