Headliners 2019

nban2010

Will be worth seeing who headlines festivals in 2018 - particularly if any newer bands get headline slots it'll be a good opportunity to see how they go down. Most new headliners (unless they're big US stars) would jump at the chance of a Glasto headline slot even if its out of their touring cycle and would likely plan a warm up tour around it. 

13 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Ok fam but abruptly saying that band x headlining won't happen while people are balancing the merits and shoving cheeseboard of names plucked from thin air into the middle is what I'd say is the opposite of discussing. Just let it ride out, we'll have plenty of time to talk about Bon Jovi's appeal to today's young people.

Healthy portion of Salt AND vinegar. Nice.

2 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Think Queens will headline Download next year, if they do that'd put them in the frame but I'm not sure Emily would gamble on them seeing as she didn't even gamble on Biffy at their peak.

Yeah I also don't see it but would be nice. I expect next time they'll sub Drake or some shite

1 hour ago, Ejestivals said:

Travis? More chance of Swedish house mafia. 

If you know anything about creating a parody account, you'd have put the profile picture as an altered version of Neil's and posted an absurd statement which shoehorned in a positive comment about Talking Heads and a negative one about Jeremy Corbyn.

On 01/07/2017 at 5:39 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hey now.

Arctic Monkeys have phoned in two forgettable headline performances that disappointed almost everyone........but they've got a new album coming out so it's their turn again.

I loved their 2013 headline set, best thing I saw all weekend.

That encore was a thing of beauty and anything but phones in 

Edited by swede
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

If you know anything about creating a parody account, you'd have put the profile picture as an altered version of Neil's and posted an absurd statement which shoehorned in a positive comment about Talking Heads and a negative one about Jeremy Corbyn.

I wouldn't know how to start making a parody account, but I'm great at choosing a terrible user name. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 01/07/2017 at 8:52 PM, battleborn said:

Bit harsh. 

I agree with you but this requires an absolute breakthrough household name act that makes everyone think twice to turn up in the next few months to a year in order for them to be headline ready by 2019. If that happens then fine, but I don't see the point of making a new band headliner because their a new band. 

I agree. I'd definitely appreciate a new act to the "headliner pool" but not a new act full stop.

Saw Florence & The Machine headline latitude on the back of their debut and they just didn't have enough songs for it, popular or not. Stretching 50 minutes of tunes into 90 for the first time is not something that should really happen on a mainstage. 

The newest artists I'd suggest would be someone like Stormzy who has had a successful album, got some big set experience, and has time to get some more music  out (enough so he wouldn't have to play every deep cut) before the fest. 

It would be great to see the festival give a band the leg up to headline status. 

The XX, Foals and The 1975 are all possibilities, all would need a decent album out next year/early 2019 I reckon. 

Stormzy has an outside chance of his upwards trajectory continues. 

Stormzy filled an hour on the Other without even playing the best song on his album, so in another two years when he's done a bunch of features and presumably put out at least another EP he'll have enough material for 90 minutes. It just depends on the hype around him being maintained rather than people moving on from him as quickly as they moved on from Skepta.

24 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Stormzy filled an hour on the Other without even playing the best song on his album, so in another two years when he's done a bunch of features and presumably put out at least another EP he'll have enough material for 90 minutes. It just depends on the hype around him being maintained rather than people moving on from him as quickly as they moved on from Skepta.

Thing with Stormzy is that him making his name on viral freestyles that built the hype for this debut album which made him one of the UK's biggest artists, while phenomenal, just seems easily replicated in this day and age. And where can Stormzy really go now after this without that anticipation? His success sadly just seems a lot more finite than, say, Skepta whose name is permanently intertwined with grime's resurgence. Perhaps that's why he's taking features with less credible outfits while he can.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Thing with Stormzy is that him making his name on viral freestyles that built the hype for this debut album which made him one of the UK's biggest artists, while phenomenal, just seems easily replicated in this day and age. And where can Stormzy really go now after this without that anticipation? His success sadly just seems a lot more finite than, say, Skepta whose name is permanently intertwined with grime's resurgence. Perhaps that's why he's taking features with less credible outfits while he can.

Nah, Stormzy has talent and charisma in bucketloads.  Neither easily replicated or finite.  He'll be bigger than Skepta ever was come the next festival, I bet you 5 pints of cider!

20 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah that's kind of what I mean, I think. His music is good enough for him to maintain his ascendancy but regardless, it would be a surprise if these features were genuinely 'collaborations with artists he admires' rather than deliberate pitches for the mainstream Capital FM audience who i) still pay money to download songs and ii) don't move on as quickly as the viral scene. Certainly his team are taking great care to make his public image as bland and mainstream-friendly as possible - his lawyers threatened someone I know with legal action the other week for revealing he had political views. He then sang the Jeremy Corbyn song on stage at Glastonbury and tweeted loads about it, so maybe said team hasn't told him, but even so it doesn't seem like the kind of thing you would bother with if you weren't excessively paranoid about the hype train deserting you.

Edited by Zac Quinn

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Nah, Stormzy has talent and charisma in bucketloads.  Neither easily replicated or finite.  He'll be bigger than Skepta ever was come the next festival, I bet you 5 pints of cider!

He does and that's why I really hope I'm wrong (to a certain extent as I also love being right) but it just seems too easy for someone else to come up and nick his crown. I'm not starting my wagers this early in the Glasto build up tho. :P

4 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Yeah that's kind of what I mean, I think. His music is good enough for him to maintain his ascendancy but even so, it would be a surprise if these features were genuinely 'collaborations with artists he admires' rather than deliberate pitches for the mainstream Capital FM audience who don't move on as quickly as the viral scene. Certainly his team are taking great care to make his public image as bland and mainstream-friendly as possible - his lawyers threatened someone I know with legal action the other week for revealing he had political views - although he then sang the Jeremy Corbyn song on stage at Glastonbury and tweeted loads about it so maybe said team hasn't told him.

Hmm yeah that's a good point. Someone like J Hus is nowhere near able to stick a landing into Capital FM territory so maybe he has that on his competition.

And I didn't know that. That's ridiculous. I just assume every famous British pop/rock star under 40 is a Labour voter anyway.

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

It would be great to see the festival give a band the leg up to headline status. 

The XX, Foals and The 1975 are all possibilities, all would need a decent album out next year/early 2019 I reckon. 

Stormzy has an outside chance of his upwards trajectory continues. 

The XX took three years from first to second album and 5 years from second to third, so they'd have to seriously pick the pace up to get an album out again for 2019, not that I wouldn't love it to happen mind.