Headliners 2019

nban2010

Apart from all the arguments that they're not big enough etc... Aren't SHM no longer a going concern? They broke up 4 years ago - are there plans to reunite and release more material? If not, you've got to admit the chances of them headlining are, erm, slim?

12 minutes ago, battleborn said:

They are a household name, a brilliant band, able to put on a show and damn good live. What's stopping them being credible headliners at Glastonbury especially when you take into account there solo success. They're certainly a much better idea than Kanye West or Jay Z ever were. 

Guessing you're not a fan?

They're not even comparable. Two of them are a couple of the most recognisable names in music history, the other act is Swedish House Mafia.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, battleborn said:

How about:

Main Stage

Friday Swedish House Mafia subbed by Chemical Brothers

Saturday Arctic Monkeys subbed by The Killers

Sunday R.E.M subbed by The Verve with ABBA in legends spot.

Other Stage

Friday The 1975 subbed by Bastille

Saturday Boy Better Know subbed by Lethal Bizzle

Sunday Chase and Status subbed by Major Lazer

There's been increasing signals Swedish House Mafia could reform and if any "dance" act can headline Glastonbury it's them, Daft Punk or Chemical Brothers. R.E.M have said they split up because they'd achieved everything they set out to, but maybe a few years on they could reform. With an Arctic Monkeys album rumoured for 2018 they would be sure fires if it hits the spot as well as AM?

Barely any of this is even a possibility. 

There is literally no chance Swedish House Mafia will headline Glastonbury, ever. Abba are more likely to headline than them and that's not happening either!

Chemical Brothers headlined the Other a few years back, there is also nothing new they've done for them to jump up to Pyramid status immediately. The only festivals they headline are mid sized European festivals like Benicassim which have 1/5 of the crowd.

The Killers and The Verve have headlined before and are still festival headliners in their own rights, why would they take a sub slot?

Boy Better Know just played to a woeful crowd, I doubt they will still be on the festival circuit still by 2019 let alone returning to headline the same stage again. It felt like Glastonbury already got them a year late this year. Lethal Bizzle is also not big enough for a sub slot. Wiley is of a similar level to him and was third down with ok numbers but it was a rubbish atmosphere.

Major Lazer just headlined the Other Stage to a huge crowd, it is extremely unlikely they will drop to sub in such a short period with inevitably some further material in-between only making them bigger. If anything they are more likely to sub a dance headliner on Pyramid like Daft Punk if they ever came. 

REM won't reform just to play Glastonbury either as the money isn't enough. If they did a run of shows around it and used Glastonbury for the publicity then maybe. But again, I really don't think this is going to happen.

Chase & Status headlining Other and The 1975 subbed by Bastille are the only real possibilities here in my eyes as Bastille have been stuck in the same slot for a few years now and don't seem to be moving...I'd imagine 1975 might have earned a Pyramid sub slot by then though as they draw massive crowds.

Either this is a hazy wish list or you're a bit off with your estimations...no offence. 

Edited by rpfranks
Typo

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Lol Swedish House Mafia on the Pyramid. If they reform you can almost guarantee one of Creamfields, V or even TITP will get them and offer them big bucks to do so. I doubt they have any interest in Glastonbury's measly pay and the coverage that comes with it. 

Booking acts like the Swedish lads in prominent slots is why TITP is now an ex-festival.

2 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Also to all those saying they'd have no interest. An official tweet from them described the Pyramid as a "hallowed stage" when there movie was being played at the fest so they'd probably be up for it;

If they were to ever play it'd be as Other headliner and nothing more. No way they'd ever get booked for the Pyramid, whereas they'd make a perfect Other headliner vs. a big band headlining the Pyramid.

17 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Go on explain to me why they are better. Kanye just talks shit over music and Jay Z is one of the most overrated artists of all time along with his wife.

No. I'm not a member of Swedish House Mafia. I just don't think you guys are taken my suggestions seriously. And so far I've seen nothing beyond "they aren't big enough" even when I've conceded I'd expect them to release another album on the level of Until Now to propel them to pyramid headliners. As they're currently not even together, that's unlikely as it stands. And yes my original list was a mixture of genuine suggestions and a bit of wishful thinking. 

Do you think Justin Bieber should headline? He is a huge selling artist, arena shows sell big, massive personality.

If not, why not?

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

TRNSMT looks like a dead duck already.  Seems like they can't give the tickets away the amount of spam I'm getting from them.

Yeah I thought TRNSMT would have done better than this given the location as much as anything else but it really seems to be struggling. Suppose that's what happens when you have Radiohead, who while a huge name aren't quite selling out 50k outdoor gigs size anymore and Kasabian and Biffy have played up here more times this decade than I care to count, as well as some uninspiring supports.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Booking acts like the Swedish lads in prominent slots is why TITP is now an ex-festival.

Seeing SHM headline Radio 1 stage in TITP prime of 2012 is still up there with one of the best nights I spent at T. But a mixture of focus on electronic acts, moving site, bad press just brought this festival right down over the later years which was a shame really.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

If they were to ever play it'd be as Other headliner and nothing more. No way they'd ever get booked for the Pyramid, whereas they'd make a perfect Other headliner vs. a big band headlining the Pyramid.

Yeah I would agree with this, would like to stay optimistic they would make an appearance sometime but not as full on pyramid headliners.

8 minutes ago, battleborn said:

No. He's shit. Quality of the music should be taken into account when picking headliners. 

Bear with me while I text Michael to let him know that battleborn must approve of all headline bookings for future festivals

Moving away from Swedish House Mafia - in a move which will probably annoy just as many people - do people really think Kendrick Lamar is big enough to headline Glastonbury?

Don't get me wrong I really like him but I saw him headline Benicassim and I didn't really feel a 'big' headline set from him...and nor was there a massive crowd...would he not be suited better to Other headline or a Pyramid sub?

7 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Ah come off it. There's a difference between pointing out that Justin Bieber - manufactured crap - is not worthy of the pyramid stage and being delusion enough to think my opinion matters at all to the Eavis's in organising the festival.

There's also a difference between liking something and realising said artist will never ever headline the Pyramid stage...

My point was more that you are saying Jay Z, Kanye West, Bieber are all shit so shouldn't have/shouldn't headline when it doesn't work like that... just because you might think they are shit it doesn't mean they won't be booked. I think Ed Sheeran is shit. He was still booked though.

Justin Bieber will headline this festival sooner than Swedish House Mafia, and I don't think he will any time soon, if at all.

Edited by rpfranks