Headliners 2019

nban2010

14 minutes ago, oscs said:

Foals' back catalogue is quite diverse though, and they only subbed last time to Muse. They co-headlined Reading in 2016 after all (and I was there, it was one of the best live shows I've seen and it caused my friends to become Foals fans after going into the festival having never really heard their stuff.)

If their music was all the same then I'd agree they'd probably peaked now, but being as they can pull out stuff like Spanish Sahara, Total Life Forever, and Late Night along with What Went Down, My Number and Mountain At My Gates, the set might be diverse enough to merit headline status. Especially if their next album is different again and has stuff in it that is more Radio 1/Radio X.

(N.B I am a big Foals fan, so I'm naturally biased)

Don't get me wrong, i undoubtedly believe Foals deserve to headline Glasto. I also saw them in 2016 but at leeds, not Reading, and I agree it was certainly a highlight of my weekend. They're brilliant live performers with great tunes.

However I don't think they'll headline Glasto anymore without a huge commercially successful album (more successful than their previous albums). I know some people say Glasto like giving new up and coming acts a shot at headlining the Pyramid, but I don't think that's the case.

Look at the last few years, all the headliners booked have been massive acts. Even the controversial bookings (Metallica & Kanye) are huge and much bigger than Foals. A good example would be Florence. She really should have been booked to headline outright but was given the sub spot. She proved she deserved it in the end, as I'm sure Foals would if they got the chance. Just can't see Glasto giving them the chance to outright headline. I'd like to be proven wrong though!

23 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Don't get me wrong, i undoubtedly believe Foals deserve to headline Glasto. I also saw them in 2016 but at leeds, not Reading, and I agree it was certainly a highlight of my weekend. They're brilliant live performers with great tunes.

However I don't think they'll headline Glasto anymore without a huge commercially successful album (more successful than their previous albums). I know some people say Glasto like giving new up and coming acts a shot at headlining the Pyramid, but I don't think that's the case.

Look at the last few years, all the headliners booked have been massive acts. Even the controversial bookings (Metallica & Kanye) are huge and much bigger than Foals. A good example would be Florence. She really should have been booked to headline outright but was given the sub spot. She proved she deserved it in the end, as I'm sure Foals would if they got the chance. Just can't see Glasto giving them the chance to outright headline. I'd like to be proven wrong though!

Yeah you're right, Glastonbury do attract more commercially successful acts, whereas Reading and Leeds are more of the different genres that don't get played as much on mainstream radio. Having said that, Muse are almost never played on Radio 1.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Foals were offered to headline Glastonbury when the Foos had to pull out? I remember reading/hearing an interview with them but they said they refused it because they had only just finished making What Went Down and hadn't learned how to play it live. So there's a precedent for them to headline.

Edit: I was wrong. Just found the interview, they were offered the slot given to The Libertines. 

Edited by oscs

1 minute ago, oscs said:

Yeah you're right, Glastonbury do attract more commercially successful acts, whereas Reading and Leeds are more of the different genres that don't get played as much on mainstream radio. Having said that, Muse are almost never played on Radio 1.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Foals were offered to headline Glastonbury when the Foos had to pull out? I remember reading/hearing an interview with them but they said they refused it because they had only just finished making What Went Down and hadn't learned how to play it live. So there's a precedent for them to headline.

i think they were offered to play the slot that the Libertines ended up playing, before Florence.

4 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Fantasy Line-Up

Friday

Pyamid;

Genesis -  Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young  - Simon and Garfunkel - Talking Heads - Eagles - Billy Joel - Van Halen - Van Morrison

Other;

The Prodigy - Pendulum - Kraftwek - Daft Punk - Swedish House Mafia - Chemical Brothers - Barbara Streisand -  Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers - Basement Jaxx - Soft Cell

John Peel;

Sigur Rois - Mogwai - Godspeed! You Black Emperor - God Is An Astronaut - Manic Street Preachers - The Verve - The Stranglers - The Courteneers - The Calling - MGMT

Saturday

Pyramid;

Iron Maiden - Judas Priest - Aerosmith - Guns N Roses - Biffy Clyro - Royal Blood - Evanescence - The Offspring - Smashing Pumpkins -  Cancer Bats

Other;

Aretha Franklin - Tracy Chapman - Fairport Convention - Jamie T - Frank Turner - Seasick Steve - The Streets -

John Peel;

Depeche Mode - Ultravox - The Human League - Adam and the Ants - Bryan Adams - Clannad - Mike Oldfield - SEAL - MC Hammer - Example - The Streets

Sunday

Pyramid;

ABBA - Fleetwood Mac - Elton John - Madonna - Cher - David Cassidy - Liza Minnelli - Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Black Eyed Peas - Toto

Other;

Oasis - Sting - The Libertines - Queens of the Stone Age - Arctic Monkeys - The Killers - Franz Ferdinand - Public Image Ltd - Dropkick Murphys

John Peel;

Seasick Steve - Robert Plant - Fairport Convention - Cannibal Corpse - The Ghost of a Thousand - Elbow - Jamie T - Usher - Tinchy Stryder

email that to michael, they might hire you as their main act booker.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, battleborn said:

Fantasy Line-Up

Friday

Pyamid;

Genesis -  Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young  - Simon and Garfunkel - Talking Heads - Eagles - Billy Joel - Van Halen - Van Morrison

Other;

The Prodigy - Pendulum - Kraftwek - Daft Punk - Swedish House Mafia - Chemical Brothers - Barbara Streisand -  Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers - Basement Jaxx - Soft Cell

John Peel;

Sigur Rois - Mogwai - Godspeed! You Black Emperor - God Is An Astronaut - Manic Street Preachers - The Verve - The Stranglers - The Courteneers - The Calling - MGMT

Saturday

Pyramid;

Iron Maiden - Judas Priest - Aerosmith - Guns N Roses - Biffy Clyro - Royal Blood - Evanescence - The Offspring - Smashing Pumpkins -  Cancer Bats

Other;

Aretha Franklin - Tracy Chapman - Fairport Convention - Jamie T - Frank Turner - Seasick Steve - The Streets -

John Peel;

Depeche Mode - Ultravox - The Human League - Adam and the Ants - Bryan Adams - Clannad - Mike Oldfield - SEAL - MC Hammer - Example - The Streets

Sunday

Pyramid;

ABBA - Fleetwood Mac - Elton John - Madonna - Cher - David Cassidy - Liza Minnelli - Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Black Eyed Peas - Toto

Other;

Oasis - Sting - The Libertines - Queens of the Stone Age - Arctic Monkeys - The Killers - Franz Ferdinand - Public Image Ltd - Dropkick Murphys

John Peel;

Seasick Steve - Robert Plant - Fairport Convention - Cannibal Corpse - The Ghost of a Thousand - Elbow - Jamie T - Usher - Tinchy Stryder

What's with multiple posters suddenly wanting no young people whatsoever to come to Glastonbury :( bloody hell.

Edited by Zac Quinn

2 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

Do we think Eminem could ever play Glasto? 

He's on his second Reading for god knows why. Probs wants too much money. Personally I think it could but is maybe unlikely.

For all Emily Eavis tries to excuse booking Johnny Depp etc with the "people's personal morals shouldn't be a barrier to them appearing at Glastonbury" line, having Eminem appear would surely be one step too far in the wrong direction. Hope so anyway.

13 minutes ago, battleborn said:

The young people bands can all go on West Holts...

:( 

for real though, the typical Genesis fan is probably about the least likely type of person in the country to attend Glastonbury. The worst suggestion since that weird argument years back about Rammestein doing it. No offence :P

2 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

For all Emily Eavis tries to excuse booking Johnny Depp etc with the "people's personal morals shouldn't be a barrier to them appearing at Glastonbury" line, having Eminem appear would surely be one step too far in the wrong direction. Hope so anyway.

Fair point. How about dance acts? They seem to only ever get Other, WH, JP billing. I know Daft Punk would get a top slot if they ever chose to do it. Surely Chems or someone could top it? (Though I understand Chems actually prefer the Other field)

13 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

Fair point. How about dance acts? They seem to only ever get Other, WH, JP billing. I know Daft Punk would get a top slot if they ever chose to do it. Surely Chems or someone could top it? (Though I understand Chems actually prefer the Other field)

A couple of years ago I'd have predicted Calvin Harris would be headlining soon, but people seem to have stopped caring about him now. Also - much as it shouldn't be the case - while the 'real music' bores still send death threats every time a rapper appears, I don't think an act that can be accused of 'just standing there pressing play' will be headlining any time soon.

Edited by Zac Quinn

Pearl Jam  - would be class

Kiss - good laugh and they've got the hits to do it

Depeche Mode - probably the biggest British band yet to headline Glastonbury

The Cure - been a very long time

Neil Young - if he ever plays again

Fleetwood Mac - not really into them, but legendary and yet to do it

R.E.M reunion - well I can wish

6 hours ago, milly16 said:

Depeche mode defiantly. The tribute band were bloody fantastic and the crowd went mad for them......they would be my dream,then anyone else I wouldn't be fussed.

How did I miss this? Where? When?