Headliners 2019

nban2010

Educated guess (new albums around that time) taking us into 2019.

Friday - Tame Impala (Okay favourite band but after subbing 2016, another big record like currents and I think it's viable. Although I do think their next album will be their biggest/mainstream to cement themselves as headliners. Their songs and visuals would go down a treat on the pyramid i.e Arcade Fire 2014. I fancy Leeds and Reading to want them also next album tour but after Kevin stating how much he loved G it's a definite thought and possibility. I'd either say Tame or Foals for the Friday slot.)

Saturday - Fleetwood Mac (I think they'll finally get them to Glasto. First year back after the fallow I can see a mega act taking up the Saturday slot to welcome the festival back with a bang. I'm unsure about albums but they're a band that don't really need to have new material around that time to play the festival.)

Sunday - Taylor Swift (Been off the radar for a while considering how big she is. I'd guess a new album was to be out over the next 12 months but with nothing concrete as of yet and the amount of links and rumours with her and Glasto over the last couple of years I think album mid 2018/end 2018 and she's a shoe in to headline.)

I do think Foals could easily do the Friday or Sunday slot headlining in 2019 but I'm swaying towards Tame Impala. Not because I favour them, I just think their trajectory from the next album will only take them further, whereas I think Foals may not get much bigger than they are and will always remain around the same stature. I think Tames sound and uniqueness will elevate them above the likes of Foals, 1975 and so on. Kendrick Lamar/Drake could be in with a shout depending on what their plans are music wise by the time the next festival rolls around. 

Mega band, never headlined it before. The Mac will finally land at the festival I think (and hope). 

I believe the 1975 will sub headline next festival too. Below the Mac or Taylor Swift, I don't see them as headliners of Glastonbury. 

I was wondering whether Arctics would be in the mix but I just don't think they'll do it. It's possible though. As with Killers, after doing a secret set maybe something there for the band in 2019.

Hopefully not though.

5 minutes ago, StevieGed said:

But after Liam's reasonable success this year. 

What are the chances of Noel headlining the thing?

My dad's harder than your dad kinda thing.

Glastonbury is too precious for headline slots to be wasted on the dreary war between the Gallaghers. They should both go into a secure room, sort it out once and for all, and then shut up. 

Killers, gaga, Blur

I'm at the services on the m5 with ticket fear. I'm not even home yet! 

Chris Martin &co will be back the year after but I suspect they could sub if the line up is that spectacular. Noel & Liam have a few years to grow up and be friends

Fleetwood Mac want the money. Not happening

Done a bit more thinking, I think the headliners will be The 1975, Beyonce and Fleetwood Mac.

Can see Roger Waters headlining the other against either The 1975 or Beyonce. Nick Cave & TBS playing before Waters.

Van Morrison playing 3rd on the Beyonce day, Diana Ross taking the legends slot, followed by Paolo Nutini on Sunday.

Sigrid taking an earlyish slot on the Pyramid on a Friday.

No idea who Pyramid subs could be.

Sorry I know this is a headliners thread, but wanted to post this somewhere :D.

The Killers - like everyone else, I'd be surprised if the secret act deal wasn't tied in some way to a headliner agreement. 

The Kinks/Fleetwood Mac/Elton John - I'm not sure the Kinks have quite the stature to headline, but they're obviously good enough friends with the Eavis' to push the balance, and a reunion specifically for Glastonbury is a bit of a swizz.

Mac I'm sure are in the list every year. Maybe they need to get one of the side projects playing an afternoon slot to show them what's special about Glasto - like Barry Gibb did with cameo spot to legend slot.

Really surprised Elton hasn't played it before. Reckon he'd be a great headliner and an obvious choice as the list of bona fide legends to headline starts to dwindle. 

Third is the difficult one...

Royal Blood would make sense if a third album is out, particularly as Glasto had been good to them and likes to bring in headliners slightly before the other festivals give them a shot.

Elbow maybe? Another secret act, good friends with the festival, and they've obviously been itching for a headliner slot for years now.

Just hope it's not another year with frequently returning headliners (Arctic Monkeys/Muse/Coldplay).

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Ed writes his own songs and Taylor isn't just another written for star, don't tar them all with bring told what to write.

[as an aside] As soon as it enters the murky world of co-authors it's impossible to tell who wrote the song!

Was the star just sitting in the same room throwing out useless suggestions, while the co-author rolls their eyes and does all the work? Did the star write the basic song and the co-author add in some flourishes and production value? Either way, the star will always be the first credit. The long and short of it is that studios will never let their stars die if they're making money, even if that means bringing in other song writers to do the legwork. Making sure the star appears to be a legitimate songwriter is all part of the marketing.

Elliott Smith even wrote a song about the pressure he was placed under to work with ghost writers when he signed onto a major label. The issue is rife in the industry.

Edited by fowls

58 minutes ago, DropBeat said:

Killers / Kendrick / Arctic Monkeys

I've said this on here before but I think the festival will miss the boat when it comes to Kendrick headlining. 

With the festival taking a year off it gives R&L a perfect opportunity to give him his first big headline slot in this country, and considering he's subbed R&L before he has previous history with the festival, plus he's headlined longitude which is another festival republic festival.

By 2019 DAMN! will also have been out for over 2 years so unless he drops another album early 2019 I think it's a long shot

2 hours ago, addicted2noise said:

was talking about Radiohead

Oh, seemed strange after linking to Tay was all.

2 hours ago, VCK said:

Foals, Kendrick Lamar and an older act, perhaps a reunion. Hope Pulp do reform again.

Although I doubt she'll headline it wouldn't surprise me to see Ariana Grande there.

Ariana 3rd down would be great.

FM as I don't think their tour will last until 2020 June. The Killers or Arctics for 19 but both over them two years and not the same as they both did it in 2007. I see Arctics being one Eavis would want for the 20 though.

1 hour ago, fowls said:

[as an aside] As soon as it enters the murky world of co-authors it's impossible to tell who wrote the song!

Was the star just sitting in the same room throwing out useless suggestions, while the co-author rolls their eyes and does all the work? Did the star write the basic song and the co-author add in some flourishes and production value? Either way, the star will always be the first credit. The long and short of it is that studios will never let their stars die if they're making money, even if that means bringing in other song writers to do the legwork. Making sure the star appears to be a legitimate songwriter is all part of the marketing.

Elliott Smith even wrote a song about the pressure he was placed under to work with ghost writers when he signed onto a major label. The issue is rife in the industry.

He writes his songs and has done for others, he sometimes has others help writing but he still does it. There are other producers but he's not a producer, he's one of the most true pop stars around.

The Killers

Fleetwood Mac

Foals

I think they'll give Foals a chance at headlining next time. After the secret gig this year, I can't not see the Killers headlining in 2019 and Fleetwood Mac are heading out on another world tour so that timings would work. I'd suggest Foals headline Friday, Killers Saturday and Mac on the Sunday.

Just now, mr flow said:

The Killers

Fleetwood Mac

Foals

I think they'll give Foals a chance at headlining next time. After the secret gig this year, I can't not see the Killers headlining in 2019 and Fleetwood Mac are heading out on another world tour so that timings would work. I'd suggest Foals headline Friday, Killers Saturday and Mac on the Sunday.

Tbh I think Foals might've fucked it at their shot at headlining. New album was pretty underwhelming so unless their new one comes back storming I think sub is as high as they'll get.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Tbh I think Foals might've fucked it at their shot at headlining. New album was pretty underwhelming so unless their new one comes back storming I think sub is as high as they'll get.

Yeah that's a fair point. I just felt that with them subbing last year and the fact they seem to be earmarked by the festival to headline at some point, means that 2019 will be their year.

Yeah not sure if i can see Foals headlining now. Their new album would have to be pretty special, but think they're gonna stagnate similarly to The Black Keys in terms of festival slots (Foals are much stronger live compared to the Black Keys, mind).

Arctic Monkeys are nailed on. They'll tour the hell out of a new album next year, followed by a US tour/worldwide towards the end of the year/beginning of 2019 before rounding things off at Glastonbury.

As for the others, god knows. Don't think the Killers are 'there' anymore despite the secret set going down well. A poor next album will end them.

Kendrick is a very good shout but he still feels like a sub to me at the moment. Would love him there either way.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yeah not sure if i can see Foals headlining now. Their new album would have to be pretty special, but think they're gonna stagnate similarly to The Black Keys in terms of festival slots (Foals are much stronger live compared to the Black Keys, mind).

Foals' back catalogue is quite diverse though, and they only subbed last time to Muse. They co-headlined Reading in 2016 after all (and I was there, it was one of the best live shows I've seen and it caused my friends to become Foals fans after going into the festival having never really heard their stuff.)

If their music was all the same then I'd agree they'd probably peaked now, but being as they can pull out stuff like Spanish Sahara, Total Life Forever, and Late Night along with What Went Down, My Number and Mountain At My Gates, the set might be diverse enough to merit headline status. Especially if their next album is different again and has stuff in it that is more Radio 1/Radio X.

(N.B I am a big Foals fan, so I'm naturally biased)