Steel beer cups- am I missing the point?

rivalschools.price

I was under the impression that the reason for the steel cups was that they were refillable therefore reducing the amount of paper cups used.

Every bar I went into either gave me a paper cup and told me to pour it into the steel one or took my steel cup and (badly)poured a beer from a paper cup into my steel cup and threw the paper one away.

Am I missing something? Surely this uses the same amount of paper cups as someone without the steel cup.

Edited by rivalschools.price

16 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

I was under the impression that the reason for the steel cups was that they were refillable therefore reducing the amount of paper cups used.

Every bar I went into either gave me a paper cup and told me to pour it into the steel one or took my steel cup and (badly)poured a beer from a paper cup into my steel cup and threw the paper one away.

Am I missing something? Surely this uses the same amount of paper cups as someone without the steel cup.

I thought it was to reduce the amount of litter strewn about. However, at least two of the bars up at The Park weren't using steel cups (I thought The Park used only steel cups) and one of the bars up there was serving in paper cups with 'Paint Mixer' written on it. I not sure what  that was all about.

The pouring thing is to do with hygeine - I was on Avalon bars and those were our instructions. 

Avalon bars know that it misses the environmental point - but the Hepatitis bug (for example) is tiny, contagious, & potentially lethal, so you cannot put the tap in a cup someone has drunk from, & you can't pour most draught without dipping the tap.

28 minutes ago, amfy said:

The pouring thing is to do with hygeine - I was on Avalon bars and those were our instructions. 

Avalon bars know that it misses the environmental point - but the Hepatitis bug (for example) is tiny, contagious, & potentially lethal, so you cannot put the tap in a cup someone has drunk from, & you can't pour most draught without dipping the tap.

I get that but why introduce steel cups if they can't be used.

An alternative would be for us to hand in our used cup and they give us another steel cup full of beer.Our used cup could then be cleaned and filled for someone else who hands their cup in.

3 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

An alternative would be for us to hand in our used cup and they give us another steel cup full of beer.Our used cup could then be cleaned and filled for someone else who hands their cup in.

I know - your idea does make more sense but we just don't have that level of washing facilities on the bars and we'd never keep up. A stand pipe out the back and a bottle of fairy liquid has to do us for the limited washing up we do.

As an environmental initiative it doesn't really work.

The paper cups are recyclable anyway so I guess it does just reduce litter not save the planet.

Edited by amfy
Typo

54 minutes ago, amfy said:

They were pouring Guinness straight into mine in Bread & Roses, everywhere else I went would only pour it into a paper cup for me.

1 hour ago, rivalschools.price said:

This is how I assumed it would be, didn't really realise how pointless it actually is until now. 

had a couple of environmental issues especially at the Permaculture... the amount of toxic fumes coming from some of their vans needs serious addressing!!!  I'd hate to put one of those on a CO2 diagnostic at an MOT station  One other about supporting the dairy farm but totally missed my point as to what happens to each of the male calves born as some weren't quite up to speed and one last one about Organic free range eggs and when I showed them an organic free range bird and wha t they looked like at point of rescue the woman looked less than impressed and insinuated it was not from free range ... then pics of the rescue at the farm seemed to give her a personality change ... oh well.

2 hours ago, themuel said:

Yeah that is a bit of an issue. If I recall correctly, it was more a public show of support for the British steel industry last year with a good environmental knock on effect. 

The paper pour system needs addressing though. 

Really sorry for the down vote.. I didnt mean to, clicked as i was scrolling!

4 minutes ago, garc1a said:

I've now countered it for you. Done it myself! 

I think one possible endpoint would be to make enough reusable steel pints to replace paper cups completely at Glastonbury and use them at other festivals and events during the year, being washed in between. That's the only way I can see it having a point.

I'm curious to know if the ones on site now are used at all during the rest of the year, or are they just being stored for 2019?

Edited by FrankieX
Clarity

1 minute ago, FrankieX said:

I think one possible endpoint would be to make enough reusable steel pints to use at other festivals and events, being washed in between. That's the only way I can see it having a point.

I'm curious to know if the ones on site now are used at all during the rest of the year, or are they just being stored for 2019?

Since they were trading in the plain ones for ones with a logo on Sunday, I reckon they'll print up the spares and sell them - makes sense - and profit.

2 hours ago, garc1a said:

1 hour ago, sime said:

I've now countered it for you. Done it myself! 

Haha don't worry I don't pay any attention to them, but thanks guys! 

Edited by themuel