Dave_c

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, MattR88 said:

I'm an Ed fan but that just didn't work last night.

To go from The Killers to Biffy to that!?

It was a real dissapointment. 

I feel he didn't do himself any justice.

Anyone else feel the same?

I saw ed with my mother, aunt and cousin, who thought it was great, but yeah. It was shit, it has long been documented that he is shit. (There's a Thread

Edited by Michaels denim shorts

My 5th and would say the best:

Highlights:

Foos - been wanting to see them for 15 years and it was one of the best sets I've ever seen, loved every moment.

Bootleg beatles, Haim and Craig David.

Sitting up by the glasto sign on sunday afternoon and taking it all in.

Having a picture with Martin Roberts of homes under the hammer fame on wednesday

Low lights:

Ed - he is a talented bloke but one man on stage as a sunday headliner didn't cut it for me, was bored throughout.

The crowds were a bit much and i gave up on the SE corner completely, which is a shame.

The heat on Wednesday, and being up for about 30 hours was horrible. Got a little sleep in some shade outside Hari Krishna tent and then got bitten by some sort of fire ant or something, shooting pain down my wrist.

Superb year - another belter.

I've been to every festival since 2004 and the weather this time was the best at any of them, IMHO.

Saw a range of brilliant acts - Elbow, The Avalanches, The Killers, London Grammar, Rag n Bone Man the standouts, with Radiohead and the Foos nailing their headline slots.

Organisationally it gets bigger and better every time, without losing what makes it special.

Key thing for me is how much it obviously means to most of the acts to perform there - how many times are the crowd thanked from the stage and told we're special, and you know they're genuine. Even Liam Gallagher seemed to appreciate us.

Only negative is that I'm getting older so can't go for it quite as hard as I used to - not sure I can blame GFL for that!

Never nice when it's a two year wait, but I've survived two of those before and look forward to getting back on the farm in 2019.

I have to add, something needs to be done regarding the SE corner, splitting up queues for specific areas? I didn't manage to get in at all except during the day to watch Craig Charles at Truth (which was a fucking blast) and Temple at about 7pm on Thursday.

My first year I really enjoyed it, very good crowds for all the bands I saw, unfortunately only one druggy kno bhead ruined one of the bands I saw but less of them mentioned the better. Good variety of acts over the weekend and they were spread around so didn't get to miss anything which was a bonus. Just disappointed everything seemed to be on Saturday evening and there was no decent Sunday headliner alternative to watch.

Highs:

Dead Kennedys crowd

Pleasant atmosphere amongst most sets/festival

Flaming Lips blowing everyone away

Low:

Thurston Moore crowd, lifless dull and like a bunch of scarecrows. A legend like him deserved better.

Glen Matlock being late and ended up missing him as we waited over an hour and got bored eventually.

Too many V fest types who couldn't handle their booze/drugs and shouting over bands.

Absolutely loved this year, having been previously in 03, 04, 08 and 09. This one was definitely up there. 

Highlights were anything where I could get a bit dancey. Really enjoyed Orchestra Baobab on Sunday. Seeing the Avalanches on Saturday completed a 15 (?) year cycle for me from their first album to seeing them live. Phoenix were amazing as well, took a while to get them on stage but when they came out it was worth the wait! Also, my girlfriend dragged me to Craig David and he surprised me with how humble and obviously moved he seemed by the reception he got. He deserved it as well - the man puts on a good show! Although the ultimate showman was Shaggy at West Holts on the Sunday when the sun came out...

Lowlights are few and far between. Some of the crowds were a bit much for me (someone who suffers from anxiety), and I was stood behind someone at Future Islands who seemed hellbent on ruining my experience of it by bumping into me on purpose in an exaggerated fashion - not very nice considering I was there by myself and would have loved to have been able to get into it a bit more in my own way!

But all that being said, I bloody loved it. Can't wait for the next one. 

9 hours ago, Wilfko said:

Other Highlights - Thursday eve at Williams Green with my friends in Mario Costumes, everyone was such good fun and we even had that Pink Marching band follow us around playing various 8 bit songs while we put on a dance for the crowds.

I saw you guys. Thanks for putting a smile on my face!

My third time going and probably also my best.

Wednesday was a mixed bag at the start, arrived by coach in the evening and walked straight through the gates with only a 5 minute queue and no security, but looking for a decent place to camp for 6 of us was very difficult especially under the blazing sun. Ended up splitting into 3 smaller camps, which still worked out nicely as we used the central 1 as a base camp. As the night time approached, we walked up through the park, watched the fireworks and the raging bonfires on the hills, and boogied through the night at the rabbit hole.

Thursday was just a relaxed, sociable, general wander around the site kind of day.

On Friday I saw the Hot 8 Brass Band, First Aid Kit, Future Islands, and The Flaming Lips. Future Islands were fantastic, especially when Seasons got a play. The crowd was absolutely incredible for them and John Peel was the right environment for it all. The Flaming Lips though, incredible! I like them, but I was not expecting just how good they were live. They are the first act I've ever seen on the Park stage, and it was also the perfect environment for them.

Saturday I saw The Moonlandingz, The National, Father John Misty, and Phoenix. I hadn't seen all four live before, and was only really familiar with Phoenix. They all blew me away, except for The National, I just couldn't get into them and found them quite bland, maybe they're the kind of band that needs that prior emotional attachment there to appreciate them? Father John Misty though, holy balls. I'd briefly listened to a few tracks, and didn't think much of him, but live he sounds a million times better.

Sunday I saw Chic, Goldfrapp, Moderat, and Justice. This was probably the most underwhelming day just because I was absolutely wrecked by that point, nothing to do with the acts. My knees were on fire, chest heavy from the previous days smoke and dust. Even so, all the acts gave brilliant shows. I'd never seen Goldfrapp live before, but loved every second. Moderat and Justice were a perfect combo too, right at the front for Justice and got caught of camera quite a few times.

What really made this Glasto special was a girl I met and spent a good portion of the festival with, but less of that because I don't wanna jinx anything :P

Only real lowlight was getting caught up in a fairly bad crush at Arcadia. 3 streams of people traffic all seemingly going head to head, and one of our mates had a panic attack during it but quickly recovered. Other than that though everything was fantastic, just gutted its all over.

1 minute ago, alien said:

They all blew me away, except for The National, I just couldn't get into them and found them quite bland, maybe they're the kind of band that needs that prior emotional attachment there to appreciate them?

I think this is true. Most of us on here who are into The National love them rather than just being bit part fans and they seem to be an act people do form big emotional attachments to. That slot was far from ideal for them and even me being a big fan was disappointed with it. I still thought it was a good performance, just didn't happen for them really.

2 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I think this is true. Most of us on here who are into The National love them rather than just being bit part fans and they seem to be an act people do form big emotional attachments to. That slot was far from ideal for them and even me being a big fan was disappointed with it. I still thought it was a good performance, just didn't happen for them really.

My friend reckons they played quite a few unreleased tracks, which to non-fans would obviously be unrecognisable.

I'm not sure how true that is but I have listened to them before, or at least their most popular tracks, and I think I recognised maybe two tracks?

Just now, alien said:

My friend reckons they played quite a few unreleased tracks, which to non-fans would obviously be unrecognisable.

I'm not sure how true that is but I have listened to them before, or at least their most popular tracks, and I think I recognised maybe two tracks?

Yeah they played 5 off the new album which is out in September, only 1 of which has been released so far. They did 4 new ones in a row quite early on which killed any slight momentum they had. But yeah, if you only know a handful of songs going into it then I can see why you couldn't get into it, definitely wasn't the kind of set that would turn you into a fan.

1 hour ago, MattR88 said:

I'm an Ed fan but that just didn't work last night.

To go from The Killers to Biffy to that!?

It was a real dissapointment. 

I feel he didn't do himself any justice.

Anyone else feel the same?

You should have been there man. Insane!

Highlights for me were

Getting in-absolute piece of piss was off bus and completely in within 20-25mins*,absolutely no searches and no one close to me were searched,totally for show for cameras) 

*don't hate me people who waited ages,I feel for you and would have been so pissed off

Camped in same spot in darbles again,decent neighbours,bit posho but harmless but honestly who takes olive bread to a fest? Also darbles filled a lot quicker this year but not surprised considering heat/exhaustion experienced by some.

The weather was clearly glorious,a touch to hot for me personally but glad it was dry,Wednesday was too much for me and Thursday bit tough but rest of weekend with the breeze was great.

Not going to put music highs/lows as totally subjective but seriously guys if haven't checked out the bandstand and Mandela stage then I strongly suggest it,if you like stripped back,dirty,raw,passionate music then it's for you maybe.

The staff as always were fantastic,camp crew,stewards,cleaning team,lock up team,security,police were all great and friendly(strangely thought that I saw more uniformed police last year then this one even though meant to be more)

All the work that goes into creating the stages and areas as ever were absolutely awesome,genuinely find the woods and green fields two of the most beautifully creative places ever.

Low points

Seemed a lot more arseholes this year,the sit back,chill out vibe of when I first started has definitely gone this year. Lots of pushing,barging and general obnoxiousness this year. Seemed a lot less friendlier this year but that seems to be something that dwindles year on year.

Seemed to be lot more dealers this year. I got offered at least 4 times and first year I'd had someone working through my campsite dealing on Thursday. Also as side note, defiantly a lot more coke this year,saw shit loads of folks doing it.

Personally I didn't enjoy the fest but that was because my personal situation nothing of the fests fault. Overall though the presentation by gfl was fantastic and everything you'd expect and more just felt the vibe wasn't there but that's my opinion don't let it sway you

Just awesome 

4 hour queue from 5.30am was a downer but didn't get searched at all when we got to C. 

Weather made it, if anything Weds was a slog in that heat but rest of weekend was perfect. Great neighbours in Cockmill who we'll keep in touch with, great staff and security 

Foos, need I say more? Kaisers and Liam (esp that singalong). Frank Carter and the girls only surfing, Chic, Wild Beasts, Hacienda, Blossoms in BBC Introducing and Future Islands all did it for me

Spent a few hours in the Greenfields chilling and saw some great theatre and acts as well. 

Missed a few I wanted to see, but isn't that always the way? Got round most of the site and clocked up an impressive 87km!

Downs? Huge crowds at Other Stage verging on dangerous, other than that, a few dickheads and a lack of politeness when moving through crowds

See you in two years!

20 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

Highlights for me were

Getting in-absolute piece of piss was off bus and completely in within 20-25mins*,absolutely no searches and no one close to me were searched,totally for show for cameras) 

*don't hate me people who waited ages,I feel for you and would have been so pissed off

Camped in same spot in darbles again,decent neighbours,bit posho but harmless but honestly who takes olive bread to a fest? Also darbles filled a lot quicker this year but not surprised considering heat/exhaustion experienced by some.

The weather was clearly glorious,a touch to hot for me personally but glad 

Seemed a lot more arseholes this year,the sit back,chill out vibe of when I first started has definitely gone this year. Lots of pushing,barging and general obnoxiousness this year. Seemed a lot less friendlier this year but that seems to be something that dwindles year on year.

I'll echo that. Me and mrs had real problems getting out of the Pyramid field last night with people refusing to move even when asked politely, and we were heading UP the hill! One guy stepped across her to stop her, just to be awkward. she's handy enough, 5'10" and 'eased' past him but he swung at her. I was following, and I make no apologies for this, gave him a dig in the mouth for his trouble and fronted him up. I was sober and in control so nothing else happened but I've never seen that before at Glasto. 

58 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Yeah they played 5 off the new album which is out in September, only 1 of which has been released so far. They did 4 new ones in a row quite early on which killed any slight momentum they had. But yeah, if you only know a handful of songs going into it then I can see why you couldn't get into it, definitely wasn't the kind of set that would turn you into a fan.

Yeah, it was an odd choice. I think they figured on a stage that big a lot of people wouldn't know who they were, so why does it matter if they play unreleased songs or not?

It did seem like the songs they did play were the ones with short nonsensical repetitive phrases too, rather than the more narrative-driven ballads like Pink Rabbits or About Today. It gives a more energetic performance, but I'm not sure the songs were the best lyrically for non-fans to grab onto. I remember thinking The National just repeating the same phrases over and over when I first saw them - took seeing them 4 times to fall in love with them.

Personally I loved it though. They really threw themselves into the show and didn't really care that no one knew who they were. Maybe not pandering to the crowd was the right thing to do if they knew they couldn't bridge that gap?

Edited by fowls

It was definitely my favourite Glastonbury out of the seven that I have been to. 

Highs:

- The Foos - the most fun I've ever had at a festival. Loved it.

- Nile Rogers... coolest man alive.

- Elbow at the Park

- Finally making it to the Glastonbury sign to watch a sunrise

- The Meeting Place bar at Williams Green on Thursday Night,

- Seeing Michael driving around site.

- The efests meet (when I finally arrived),

- The weather (no wellies all weekend!!) - was a tad hot on Wednesday but aside from that it was perfect.

- The toilets were probably the cleanest they have ever been :lol: 

Lows:

- Half the crowd talking all the way through Radiohead (we weren't that far back!!) 

- The terrible sound problems at the Other Stage

- The queues to get in... and the lack of any evidence of the "extra security" that was the supposed cause of them. It was really dangerous making people queue for that long in that heat, in total I saw 5 people pass out.

- The fact that the bookers totally underestimated the crowd that would turn up for Rag N Bone Man meaning we didn't get close enough to see him properly... he should have been on the Pyramid for sure. Also the fact that the recycling team then tried to drive a fucking tractor through the crush as he finished (was super dangerous).

- Leaving the site this morning knowing I won't be back for two years (Ticket Gods permitting).

Surprise:

- Craig David. Who knew he'd be so good?! 

Edited by JoBalls

It was absolutely cracking. We've all had a fabulous time. Random Highlights: the weather, being able to dance to chic in just socks due to the ground conditions,  the groups we found ourselves with in crowds who absolutely made sets for us, the fact I've laughed til I've cried everyday and the fact getting in and out was an absolute breeze. Set highlights: the mighty chic, lorde, baz, first aid kit, katy perry. Lowlights: ed- it just didn't click for me, bottlenecks that got dangerous on occasion leading to a couple of quite bad panic attacks, queues for the loos seemed bad this year, west holts dodgy sound, dangerous levels of deck chairs and those bloody inflatable sofa things propped up all over the fields. Surprise: paul carrack- brilliant voice! All in all a fantastjc year, we managed to see and do loads (weather definitely played a huge part) 

This was my second year and I'm obviously pretty sad it's over. 

There were so many amazing things about this year. I met an amazing group of night time people and we hung out all weekend. I LIVED in converse and trainers!!! I didn't even use my rain jacket. The sets I did get to enjoy were absolutely smashing and I had an amazing time. 

On the flip side, my group of friends has entirely different musical tastes than me and it caused a bit of heartbreak. The first night we left radiohead (my #2) 40mins in because they couldnt stand It. I know how radiohead rolls and I knewww it was going to be a smashing second half but I did agree the beginning was a bit self indulgent. 

My #1 must see was Pheonix and because of a late start at john peel I only ended up seeing about 30mins of the set. Again, the situation just fell in the wrong direction but basically if I had of stayed I would have ruined my other friends night and I have a really hard time with being selfish. 

My #3 on my list was to go down the rabbit hole, but again, it would have meant breaking up the group. 

I'm just a bit sad, because there were 4 of us and it just seemed as though the other 3 got to see their "musts" in full without complaint. I did go off on my own for quite a few sets, and should have done the same for the above situations. 

What I did see of pheonix was still my #1. Radiohead starting out with daydreaming was perfect. Justice, Acadia, temples, goldfrapp, haim, solange and the xx were all amazing to me. I've just got the post fest depression and feel a bit neglected. I'm considering trying it solo (or maybe with different friends?) in 2019. 

FOMO: I missed RTJ Because of a crush of people at the other for Liam. I missed London Grammar because of a delightful amount of shrooms and a natural curiosity (even though I was AT john peel for goldfrapp). I missed FJM because of crowds. Luckily I'm going to another fest in August where I'll see all 3. 

Seeing a 65ish y/o lady going HARD at justice was absolutely amazing. Putting my diffraction glasses on about 100 people at arcadia/Shangri la/block 9 (fri/sat/sun) respectively completely made my nights.

Also the site around us when we were packing up today was green and lush and traceless which made me smile. 

I could literally go on and on but we have 2 years to reminisce so I won't waste it all in 1 post  

Overall, it was surely a vintage year. 

Edited by MetaKate

This was my 14th Glastonbury and I think it tops all previous years, including 2015 and 2007. Pretty much all my friends and family agree. Everything just fell into place; we had no problems getting there, getting in, getting our usual pitch, and getting the most fun out of it. 

I can't think of a single downside to my festival, apart from overdoing it on Friday night just after arriving at the SE corner. Hardly encountered any dickheads as far as I can remember (maybe I was being a dickhead?) Didn't see a single disappointing set apart from Liam. And once again I failed to make the most of the food stalls, resorting instead to my usual Glasto diet of crisps, biscuits and noodles, despite getting a lot of recommendations for specific places. Missed a couple of acts I wanted to see, apparently Noisia were amazing. So hardly any gripes at all, if any.

To sum up; I would not change a thing. The dry weather enabled me to go around the site more than ever this year and that's exactly what I did, lapping up the vibe in pretty much every part of the festival. Thanks to everyone for making it so special.

I think probably my best one, out of 12. Met some tremendous people, saw some great bands and did a LOT of bimbling. Half a point off for it being too hot at the start of the week, and another half a point off for allowing bars to play loud banging dance music that clashed with music on the main stages, but overall an absolutely brilliant week.

On 26/06/2017 at 8:59 PM, One Tonne Baby said:

My 5th and would say the best:

Highlights:

Foos - been wanting to see them for 15 years and it was one of the best sets I've ever seen, loved every moment.

Bootleg beatles, Haim and Craig David.

Sitting up by the glasto sign on sunday afternoon and taking it all in.

Having a picture with Martin Roberts of homes under the hammer fame on wednesday

Low lights:

Ed - he is a talented bloke but one man on stage as a sunday headliner didn't cut it for me, was bored throughout.

The crowds were a bit much and i gave up on the SE corner completely, which is a shame.

The heat on Wednesday, and being up for about 30 hours was horrible. Got a little sleep in some shade outside Hari Krishna tent and then got bitten by some sort of fire ant or something, shooting pain down my wrist.

Hope you had a good one! ;)

Number 11 for me and certainly near the top (although 2009 remains the gold standard).

The good: Chic, Radiohead, the weather, the general vibe, First Aid Kit, Royal Blood, Solange, the tikka wrap stall opposite the Cider Bus.

The bad: The massive crowd crushes, talkers during sets, a rise in inconsiderate and anti-social dickheads, missing Bootleg Beatles and British Sea Power due to hangover.

Edited by Hugh Jass