2017 - How was it for you?

Dave_c

Anyone who hasn't left yet, have a space in your car and fancy popping over to the coach park entrance, my coach is stuck 15 minutes down the road out of the site. National express seemingly doing jack shit about it. 

Great way to ruin my weekend this. 

Edited by mjsell

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My favourite festival ever and probably the best week of my life.

Music Highlights - First Aid Kit, the XX (felt other worldly for me), Royal Blood, Radiohead (even if I could see jack shit because of that ridiculous screen crap and my non fan mates complaining how crap it was), Songhoy Blues, Craig David, Moshing at Run The Jewels, FOOS.

Other Highlights - Thursday eve at Williams Green with my friends in Mario Costumes, everyone was such good fun and we even had that Pink Marching band follow us around playing various 8 bit songs while we put on a dance for the crowds. Compost Toilets at Paines were in great Nick all week. The lack of Mud. I've never spent so much time at Pyramid and I'm fully out of the 'it's the wrong way to do Glasto camp. Watching the Lions at Theatre Cafe standing on a bench at the back (THAT TRY).

Single favourite set? Unexpectedly First Aid Kit which had me an emotional wreck.. (but what a Foos set, and XX.. and Royal Blood. That Friday in Pyramid was the best day of any Glasto for me. Can't pick one.

Lowpoints - Sat morning rain, that's it.

Thanks Glasto.

Edited by Wilfko

Just woke up after a snooze and properly have the post Glasto blues. I have to say I was proper emotional yesterday for some reason, standing watching Biffy perform medicine from up on the hill looking down over the crowd at the best stage in the world with all the flags and the amazing weather properly choked me up. The OT was crying so I was being all manly and telling her to wind her neck in but deep down I felt it too. Something special about this year for me, it was bloody EPIC. 

Well...just got back after 5.5 hour drive. Feet are absolutely killing me. I cannot bear to unpack/ wash/ or get a pint of milk from the shop.

Overall, apart from a few hairy moments, had an absolute blast! Getting a bit emotional (as I have done on numerous times this weekend!) now about what an incredible place it is, full of ace people and how lucky we are to be able to go.

Getting in and out - an absolute doddle compared to last year. Bit of traffic in Glastonbury town Wednesday morning, but only about a 45-minute delay. Straight out the car park at 6am this morning and onto the M5 in 25 mins.

Weather almost perfect. Couldn't have coped with Wednesday temperatures and sun for the whole 5 days, but my first hot Glastonbury day since 1995 was a nice change. Rain didn't hang around too ling for it to be a nuisance and helped damp the dust down.

Higlights for me:

No Bones Jones vegan platter. Best meal I had all weekend.

Visit the T&C fields for the first time - loved it round there.

Going to The Temple at 8pm on Thursday. Place rammed with everyone dancing at 8.01pm. Amazing scenes!

Friday Music - really enjoyed Hacienda Claasical, Hobo Jones and The Junkyard Dogs, Royal Blood. The XX were fabulous. Had managed to get myself about 15 rows back for Radiohead. My friends didn't really want to watch them so asked if I would be ok on my own whilst they went to watch Dizzee. Fine, I said..got chatting to RH fan behind me and all was good. About 5/6 songs in (think it was around Myxomatosis/ Let Down) I suddenly started to feel a bit panicky/ para and just needed to get out of there. Some people were fucking horrible to me trying to get out there - couldn't breathe easily and tried to get to the back rail. A girl pushed me away from it and said "You're not fucking standing there, just fuck off!". Anyway, after the worst 10 mins of my life, finally managed to get out. Had a big gulp of water, felt instantly better and made my way to about halfway back and watched the rest of the set in spellbound awe. Lots of singing around me and some RH fans behind me joking that the encore would start and end with Palo Alto. So, overall good memories of RH!

Then met my friends and went to Arcadia for a good boogie. Walked all the way to Block 9 before deciding it was too much and went to bed at 5am.

Saturday - unexpectedly enjoyed Craig David and Katy Perry. RTJ were amazing! My sarcastic laughter when Jeremy Corbyn said he would "do everything to protect the rights of EU citizens" (like going on holiday during the referendum campign and voting through Brexit, eh Jezza?) didn't result in a beating, so all good! FF started off well, but couldn't be doing with all of the guitar doodling in between the songs. Caught a bit of Sasha/ Digweed and Layo and Bushwacka in the Glade.

Sunday - Davos and Cassetteboy good fun in the Glade. Went to the Circus tent for a chill and watch some amazing stuff. West Holts for Shaggy which was a good laugh - think the 2 pints of toffee apple cider helped. Had a bit of a chilled night last night and caught bits and bobs of a few things.

Hope you all had the festival you wanted x

Edited by The Red Telephone

5 hours ago, Bluebeth said:

Fantastic festival, although ended up getting sunburned yesterday (I always forget sunblock on Sunday!)

Highlights: The Flaming Lips, Rag n Bone Man

Lowlights: sound at Other, it's awful! 

Surprised me: Paul Carack, some great tunes and a cracking voice

Had time to wander through Theatre and Cabaret this year, never done that before. A tiny theatre company did a juke box sing along thing that made me howl laughing.

See you all in 730 days *too soon for the countdown thread?

Also emotional moments: The Pretenders singing I'll stand by you and Ralph Mctell playing Streets of London - one of my dad's favourite songs and the first he taught me to play. 

Paul Carrack... seen him many times and still doesn't dis appoint.  The Foos were ace , great show, Barry Gibb and Nile rogers Chic ... what a way to spend an afternoon..brilliaant

Lows: Worthy View real bad value for money IMO.  Long wait for showers even at 7... very small and I had to run around to get wet so only bothered Friday ... so few loos for so many people .  the staff said as much this morning.. getting a dodgy fiver from the burrito shack last night oh and the bloody hill ... rendered me useless Friday and left my painkillers back in the tent... it's fine if you are young and fit but not if you are getting on with dodgy hips 

The rubbish on the floor was horrendous... never in my life have I seen so many people just drop their tinnies wherever they were... not sure why they had bins as so many couldn't be arsed to use them

3 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

I think when I've got home and got more than four hours of sleep under my belt, I'll be more magnanimous on the music. But on the whole, I don't feel I was as well engaged as in 2016 on a musical level. 

Got in, had a bath and a nap, and now ready to recant most of the negativity I said there. May have not been a "Glastonbury moment" for Ed, but he certainly pleased his crowd, and the Foos' Best of You coda/Under Pressure double whammy near the end is as near as damnit to a "moment".

So, in a nutshell - probably a shade behind 2016 musically, miles ahead in everything else - but happy to say it was a stonkingly good weekend.

Pleasure to share this turf with you merry ladies and gents again!

Roll on 2019!

That was my 22nd Glastonbury and in some ways it was one of the best. We got to camp in the centre of the festival, in a motorhome, very close to the three big stages. This was obviously super-convenient and driving straight out Monday morning with no walk was the stuff of dreams.

Music-wise I loved Radiohead, Royal Blood, Chic, Barry Gibb and various others. Saw lots of other entertainment too including some great acts in the Circus tent, and bimbled extensively around the Greenfields etc. We had top laughs in the naughty corner and wangled our way into some crew bars which were good for a chill and better value booze.

Weather was about the best I can remember, just a bit hot on Weds and chilly Saturday night, plus the wind/dust combo wasn't great at times. Otherwise perfect festival weather. If you come away from Glastonbury with no mud or sunburn then you can't complain.

On the downside, it saddens me that with each passing year my stamina for partying and powers of recovery continue to diminish. A reasonably heavy Wednesday evening made Thursday a bit of a non-event, and only one really late night was had on the Friday. We just can't do it like we used to and it's frustrating to see young folks going full tilt all over the site - so jealous!

Come 2019 I think it will be time to do things differently. I'll probably start taking the kids and taking it easy - have a nice chilled one.

Overall a great festival, but could be the end of a chapter for me.

Just got home. A weekend of ups and downs.

Bus down was great fun, meet a great guy and chatted for a few hours on the ride.

Wednesday spent most the day hunting for shade. Met some lovely people in the process (shout out to David and Jim for their inclusive adaptation of Black Jack - Rainbow Charlie).  Took a nap at 7.30 when the tent was finally cool enough to sleep.  My tent was only ~200m from Acardia - 10pm, extremely loud pyrotechnics testing and lots of shouting and screaming. Not an ideal way to wake up in the current circumstances, but within a few seconds of closing my head I had worked it out.

Thursday just took it easy and didn't do an awful lot. Ended up another early night.

Friday night was one of the best nights I've had at Glastonbury. Radiohead were incredible, then ended up drinking in Strummerville till 6 with such a great crowd of friends and strangers.  

Friday day and Saturday day/night were disappointing for me. My friends made the mistake of splitting up during Jarvis Cockers DJ set and the night came crashing down. Was with a lot of first timers so everyone was really demanding wanting to see this and that after hours when I just wanted everyone to stick together and have a good time! I was in a weird place between catching music and setting friends during the day and I don't think it worked particularly well, and the little music that I was looking forward to I totally missed by poor planning. Most the bands I saw were really disappointing, truth be told.

Sunday was by far the strongest overall music day for me. Laura Marling, Barry Gibb, Lucy Rose, London Grammar, and Justice were all absolutely fantastic. Haim were really fun too. Unfortunately had a horrendous anxiety attack for the first time ever in Shangri-la at 2am (I was utterly convinced the loud music was going to give me a brain destroying migraine and felt very panicky)  and lost my friends in the process. Waited for them until 5am with no luck and a dead phone so had to go home without saying goodbye (they called in Worthy View so I couldn't wait by their tents). Really bad way to end the festival. On the plus side, ended up bumping into the same guy I had taken the trip down with, so it was great to have before and after chats about his first time.

Edited by fowls

I'm glad so many of you had a great time.  I spent the week meeting people who kept saying: "I thought you'd be at Glastonbury this week."  I got fed up with telling people that for the first time in 20 or more years I'd failed to get tickets but by the end of the week I was resigned enough and busy dealing with other things, like helping care for a seriously ailing 94 year old mother in law, to actually admit to Mrs GH that I wasn't bothered that I'd missed out this year.

I didn't watch much on the telly as I don't go for the Pyramid performances so much as all the fringe things that don't get shown on the TV but I'm delighted so many of you enjoyed/discovered  Paul Carrack, who I've seen many times and has always been superb.

Main disappointment was not having a chance to meet up with so many EFesters who I've got to know through these forums.  But I have to keep reminding myself that other festivals are available.  May see some of you at Steelhouse, Green Man or Something Else in the Dean as the summer progresses.

8th time and possibly the best. First time by coach on the Thursday morning so we stayed over in Leeds the night before and went to see The Stone Roses, seems like a lifetime ago now as we've seemed to fit that much stuff into our festival this year.

Highlights 

Thurs - bimbling about the whole site, saw a couple of cover bands in the T&C fields while it was baking hot. Lovely stroll round the park, all the while drinking damson gin we'd bought with any lovely mixers we could find, in particular the lovely fresh apple juice in Avalon. Got an early night after stumbling upon the giant fire pit in the woods

Friday - Hacienda Classical, what a way to start the day, unbelievable. Royal Blood. Lorde won best set of the day for me, she's an absolute star. Managing to get to Arcadia for the metamorphosis show after Radiohead 

Saturday - actually getting my arse up and down to see The Bootleg Beatles. Craig David, such good fun. The amazing poutine I had at one of the good stalls. Foo Fighters....wow, so much fun !

Sunday - my favourite day, Barry Gibb owning the legends slot, Haim !! London Grammer showing why they should have headlined John Peel again ! Watching some amazing stuff in the big top while eating some amazing tandoori chicken from a food stall nearby

Also Mark who was on security from the campsite crew near Gate A was an absolute legend, such a nice guy and really enjoyed our daily conversations, I said I always camp at Gate A so he said he'd request to work there in 2019 for a reunion. 

Biggest lowpoint was near the start of The XX, who I was dying to see, we cut in the crowd at the bottom corner past the Mandela bar and as we cut into the crowd a very young girl was slumped unconscious, with her friend standing over her shouting at her to get up. Me and my wife checked the girls left arm and it was cold and limp, spoke to her friend who just didbt seen drunk or wasted just very young and unsure what to do. Me and my wife ran to get a steward but by the time we got back the crowd had moved in and we couldn't find her. I hope she got out ok. The worst part was people around us just walking past her and laughing or turning round and laughing, it made me really angry to the point that I only felt ok for The XX by loud places 

There was also a guy around the entrance to The Stone Circles Saturday night pretending to be hurt and when people, myself included asked if he was ok he just grabbed his crotch and started laughing, fucking idiots everywhere 

Edited by swede

Mixed review really.

Don't know if I can put this here, but I will anyway.

For a start getting in was a nightmare.

Arriving 7am and not getting set up untill 12pm in that scorching heat was unreal. However I knew everyone was in the same boat. However we were told extra searches and car searches. Fuck all. Walked straight through. Didn't even need to hide my supply.

The Wednesday was standard, though a tad bit warm. Chill by the tent getting smashed.

Thursday was a weird one. Spent the day getting drunk and in the evening started on my supply. Outside love bullets a bunch of security guards decided to randomly search me and found all of my supply (I like to keep it all on me for security reasons) they threatened to kick me out. That was not going to happen. They didn't even seen like real security but because of the frame of mind I was in I handed them over. Absouloutely disguistung behaviour as they could see others doing it but picked me out. I think they were fake police and were just looking for easy targets to take drugs from then sell on. Oh well after the initial shock it was just as if I'd lost it.

The Friday was good. Can't remember who I saw. Dizzee rascal as the headliner was good. Oh royal blood absouloutely killed it second fave of the weekend. Friday night temple was on point.

Actually watched future islands who I had know clue about. Would definetly watch them again.

Saturday was good too. Spent most of the day by the other stage then over to foo fighters. After 15 years I finally saw them and they did not disappoint. Unbelievable. Saturday night was a shambles. Se corner getting blocked so we just sat by cabaret and had a decent night. Shame as temple had a great lineup that night.

Oh bootleg beetles were really good too!

Yesterday was spent at the pyramid. Chic nailed it. Biffy clyro were great and ed really surprised me, although lack of fireworks was a disappointment. Early night and left camp at 5am with all my gear. Left no trace.

Getting home was fine. Burger king was amazing. First load of washing done. Onto the next.

At the end of the day it's Glastonbury and regardless of the Thursday night and friend issues I had a great time.

8/10 not my favourite year but I did see some amazing bands.

Possibly see you al in 2019, definetly 2020 for the big one.

14 minutes ago, swede said:

Biggest lowpoint was near the start of The XX, who I was dying to see, we cut in the crowd at the bottom corner past the Mandela bar and as we cut into the crowd a very young girl was slumped unconscious, with her friend standing over her shouting at her to get up. Me and my wife checked the girls left arm and it was cold and limp, spoke to her friend who just didbt seen drunk or wasted just very young and unsure what to do. Me and my wife ran to get a steward but by the time we got back the crowd had moved in and we couldn't find her. I hope she got out ok. The worst part was people around us just walking past her and laughing or turning round and laughing, it made me really angry to the point that I only felt ok for The XX by loud places 

There was also a guy around the entrance to The Stone Circles Saturday night pretending to be hurt and when people, myself included asked if he was ok he just grabbed his crotch and started laughing, fucking idiots everywhere 

Never good to see somebody unconscious, fortunately I didn't come across anyone this year in trouble apart from the girl that got caught up in a tractor on the main railway line.

What a tool that guy at the stone circle, should have just kicked him in the crotch for being a total arsehole.

Been going every year since 97, and although I'll need more time to reflect (as I'm currently a broken shell of a man), that may have been the best one yet.

Highlights: That run of Royal Blood, The xx, and Radiohead was the stuff of dreams. Met a lovely fun bunch for Radiohead who were a riotous joy to be around. Cried like a baby during Let Down, FPT, and Street Spirit. Thought RTJ, The National, FJM, and The Killers were amazing too. The people too, everyone I met was simply lovely, think the weather really helped with everyone just enjoying themselves and the genuinely friendly atmosphere.

Lowlights: That queue in the sun on Wednesday nearly killed me, severe heatstroke meant I spent 6 hrs in the shade of the JPT trying to stop my body from shaking/shutting down. Was such a pain because I was so excited to just get straight into the spirit but physically couldn't. Also, the Proganda crew in the Chameleon Bar for playing tune after tune that I knew every word to...... subsequently completely lost my voice and can only speak in a whisper.

Roll on 2019, simply can't wait to be back!

Wednesday was slow due to the heat - but managed to chat to loads of random people. Had to laugh at everyone chasing the flag shadows through the fields... Mik Artistik the highlight of the day.

Thursday - made the mistake, which we do every year, of sitting in West Holts drinking sweet sickly strong cheap cider. Highlight: being in the peace sign up at the stone circle, although did think the dude with the prayers needed a few more ciders - people left before the count. Lowlight was Williams Green - just why? Seriously, why put the only good bands on at the time, in a venue/area that can't take the crowd. Stupid.

Friday - the park, Mark Lanegan - brilliant. Pretenders Chrissie Hynde was brilliant; Royal Blood, all in all a good day for music.

Saturday - I tied one on, and must have thought it'd fallen off, because I tied it on again - conversations forgotten, had a blast. Dead Kennedys followed by Easy Rider at Cineramageddon (a strange experience, fun for about 10 mins!!). What happened to Toots & the Maytals? I'm blaming them for the extra ciders...

Sunday - Dropkick Murphys & Shaggy, Sundara Karma and Frank Carter - stayed sober to drive home that evening after daughter had seen Ed. Sober is interesting - you see the total hypocrisy that is Glastonbury and reflect - which isn't a good thing!!

Absolutely blinding week, my third and probably my best yet!

The journey in on Wednesday was testing in the heat, but once it cooled off in the evening it was amazing. Sat on the park hill for a bit watching the sunset, then stone circle fireworks followed by random wandering and lots of booze.

Managed to cover a lot of the site on Thursday and spent some time in SE corner while it wasn't too rammed which was fun. Didn't make it down there again sadly due to poor timing on Sat night but there's always next time. 

Friday enjoyed British Sea Power and Circa Waves. Absolutely loved the XX - one of my highlights, thought they really rose to the occasion. Caught part of Radiohead and part of Major Lazer. Managed to meet up with other friends too which was great. Then spent the night at Arcadia which just never gets old for me.

Saturday was stacked, band after band. Craig David was a real surprise, right in the middle of the Pyramid field with such good sound and a massive singalong. Really got the party going. Stayed there for RTJ and KP. Waved to Michael, third time in three visits. Then Avalanches and Stormzy (who I didn't enjoy as much as I hoped I would). Then caught some of the Foos before heading off to Phoenix who were my highlight of the day. (Flying). Tried the SE corner but couldn't get there as was trying at peak time so we spent the evening in the Park instead getting more merry on the hill.

Sunday started with Rag n Bone man - never seen the other so rammed. Then headed to JP to get a good spot for the killers. Really enjoyed Frank Carter in the meantime - a new Glasto discovery for me. That was a lot of fun. But the Killers were incredible, always been a favourite of mine but haven't listened to their music for a while so it was a great buzz and was right in the thick of it. Haven't sung so much, so loud at a gig for ages. I'd been feeling pretty shit on Sunday afternoon but that set sorted me right out for the evening. Sampha at the Park was great, perfect weather and beautiful sunset after. The Park is still one of my favourite stages and always enjoy being in that crowd. But then... JUSTICE. Wow. What a way to end the week!! Loved it. 

Amazing weather, and great atmosphere around the site. I was worried I'd hyped it up to myself too much but as soon as I got back in those fields all the feelings came rushing back and I just fell deeper in love. I think I feel ok about the fallow year, maybe I'll feel a bit more sad about it being over in the coming days. Looking forward to watching more sets on iPlayer.

I had a blast - the weather really does make a difference, especially when you're with someone in a wheelchair. Wednesday was savage, really glad it cooled down. 

Highlights were Radiohead (sublime), Foos (I didn't really pay too much notice to the set list/indulgent song extensions - I was just there to get smashed on vodka and play my air guitar in a field with a load of pals) and RTJ. Had a great singalong to The killers too. Royal Blood were awesome too. It was also great to wander wherever the hell we liked - I spent a lot more time in the night areas and Arcadia - I really enjoyed Mista Jam's set and having a good old boogie in NYC Downlow.

Negatives: echoing what others have said about the aloofness of the crowd this year - I also found people a lot more friendlier in previous years. My hubby and I got close to the side/front for Royal Blood, it packed out really quickly but people were giving his wheelchair space. But the first thing that got to me was a group of 3 girls circle the area trying to find the best place to stand, then proceeded to take selfies and chat for five minutes right behind me before leaving! What's the point?! 

Later that set a couple of right arseholes walked right into him after barging a load of people out of the way to get out. The girl reallyclattered him and bent a part of his chair and we were really worried he wouldn't be able to get around anymore. The couple literally looked at him for about two seconds and walked off, no apology, no asking if he was ok.

We got out of the crowd and went to the interstage area, where we found an engineer who took one look at the chair, went into his tool room, emerged with a pair of pliers and proceeded to bend it back into shape, without saying a single word. What a hero! 

...but apart from that long-winded blip it was an awesome year. Roll on 2019!

Oh, and after eight visits to get farm, I finally got to have a chat with the great man!

IMG_1055.PNG

Edited by alibear

Fantastic festival, being my first 'dry' Glastonbury the weather really makes a difference. Too tired to remember much at the moment but much kudos to whomever is responsible for Barry Gibb followed by Chic, 2 legend slots in succession.

didnt have a great day on Saturday, just wasn't feeling it and made one lineup mistake after another, gutted I missed Craig David, twice, but The Jacksons saved my day, even with the sound issues they were fantastic.

Elbow were fantastic, great crowd, great gig.

A top tier weekend but I've done better.

Highlights:

I don't think I saw a poor set all weekend. Main highlight was Kate Tempest. Mindblowing and on another level to her 2015 set.

Also, Laura Marling, Flaming Lips, Cut Capers in the Avalon Cafe, First Aid Kit, Joseph, Avalanches, Will Varley, Haim, Barry Gibb. All excellent.

Took more time in the T&C fields this year which was lovely.

And Wednesday was gorgeous. Spent the whole day finding shade all across the site and snoozing.

Lowlights:

Knobhead neighbours.

Anderson .Paak.

Not taking advantage of the glorious food because of a lack of appetite.

It's always horses for courses but having been this and last year I enjoyed last more .

Weather obviously better this year . But 1st time is so exciting second u know a bit more. 

This year seemed overcrowded for a lot of average acts . 

I preferred the line up last year but again I understand that's a personal choice . I think I made some wrong music choices this year and more clashes than last year . I also discovered some jems last year by chance were as this year acts I took a chance on were dissapointing.  Still had a great time but 2016 was better 

My experience is very much about a "festival in a day" but I have to say this year I totally understand why people feel so passionate about the place, actually had the chance to explore this year after being restricted by the mid last year. My highlights were: musically new discovery was Sound of the sirens on the acoustic stage these girls will be huge and soon...Emily Sandi wasn't a fan before the show but was really impressed such a great voice! also discovered the green fields spent most of my day there so much to engage with and so thought provocative .

I also loved the circus and comedy areas, made some new discoveries there, I really want to see Mike Raffone again a very funny street entertainer..and Umami dance theatre was fab.

met some fantastic people this year very friendly and chatty, helpful stewards, police and security and fellow festival goers.

Not too many lowlights for me, obviously not having enough time to explore properly, the crowds leaving the pyramid were scary and I must admit to a slight panic attack, otherwise the usual levels of nobbiness on a couple of occasions but I guess that's to be expected.