The size of the crowds

kalifire

Actually thought it was less busy than previous years. Only crush was getting into the Pyramid field before Corbyn came on. That was a nightmare but generally speaking got around fairly easily. Didn't have any isses with the SE corner which made a refreshing change. 

15 minutes ago, Alcatraz said:

Did anyone actually see The National?

Because during that time the Avalanches was rammed so wandered down to Other, past a rammed Lovdbullets, past a rammed Glade and in to a very busy Other

I saw the national they were great but most of crowd obviously didn't have a clue who they were . 

12 hours ago, Swine_Glasto2014 said:

Thought the South East Corner was very well controlled this year... And still going strong now! 

Agreed, no problems entering on saturday altho that was at 3am, but no issues on sunday at 12 midnight ish either. More crucially as well there was actually space to move around through & into the various areas. The shangri la re-design has been very well thought through

• Upvote 1

There does seem to be a lot of areas now where you have to plan well ahead and be in situ pretty early to get involved. Kurupt fm on the Stone bridge and kolsch/ seth troxler on the blues were a couple a fancied checking out but no chance of getting anywhere near either and too busy to really enjoy some things. Not a lot you can really do about it but has become a bit of a victim  of its own success in some areas.

Did feel busier walking around, but not so busy at the stages.

Probably because of more t shirt weather, compared to last couple of years, i noticed lots of people wearing other wristbands to the standard green one, particularly people wearing orange and black ones.

What were the orange/black ones for? Guest passes?

1 minute ago, fingers_mark said:

Probably because of more t shirt weather, compared to last couple of years, i noticed lots of people wearing other wristbands to the standard green one, particularly people wearing orange and black ones.

The orange and black octopus wristbands were for those in Worthy View, though I heard talk there were some staff wristbands that looked very similar too.

I think the stacked-ess and weather had a lot to do with it. We went for a chill in Green Futures and the Cabaret tent on. Fri afternoon and the places were virtually dead. Think. There were just too many acts people wanted to see. Still baffled by Craig David tho but happy I fought my way past the many luvvies to be basically on the front barrier for Run the Jewels. How big a crowd did they get? I was truly amazing, great guys, great set. Quite a few people left too after Corbs went from near us thankfully otherwise they would have all been crushed in the mosh pit 

Similarly, post 12am the SE was an absolute crush fest getting in and out Fri and Sat night. Really need to move some of that stuff away, spread it out a bit. First time I'd seen a lot of it tho, was fantastic. Gas Tower and Clash looked epic even if mega mega busy

Edited by simian_mobile_mushrooms

Glastonbury is now a huge monster, you'll always get these crowd issues with so many people. Even if you could split the crowds easily you'd still get issues with people leaving one act and going to another. The only thing you can do personally is plan things a bit better, get to acts early and avoid leaving straight away. Obviously life doesn't work like that though and it's not always possible. It does annoy me that the Festival now so huge that certain things you want to see in smaller tents etc are just unbearable and not worth bothering with, for me that applied to most things I wanted to see on Thursday. The whole secret set thing is a wast of time now too. Now we've pretty much all got power packs everybody has their phone 24/7. Even a few years back I remember running out of phone battery at a festival and just not having one for a couple of days, nowadays it's impossible to keep a secret so why bother.

21 minutes ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

I think the stacked-ess and weather had a lot to do with it. We went for a chill in Green Futures and the Cabaret tent on. Fri afternoon and the places were virtually dead. Think. There were just too many acts people wanted to see. Still baffled by Craig David tho but happy I fought my way past the many luvvies to be basically on the front barrier for Run the Jewels. How big a crowd did they get? I was truly amazing, great guys, great set. Quite a few people left too after Corbs went from near us thankfully otherwise they would have all been crushed in the mosh pit 

I'd agree with this - wasn't there this year, but have felt in recent years as the demographic (arguably) has changed a bit the 'main' stages tend to get rammed, and the late night stuff, but the greenfields, avalon etc are generally bliss during the day. (i.e. dead).

On 24/06/2017 at 3:22 PM, cdm22 said:

Crowd sizes and therefore the increase number of twunts is part of the reason we have decided not to keep going. Even in the ten years I have been going it does seem to have gotten much worse for crushes #glastonburyisnotasgoodasitusedtobe :D

Crowd size and saftey was one of the reasons i didnt bother to try for a ticket this year, oh and last years mudbath didnt help. Id love to see the capacity reduced by say 20,000 and put ticket price up to compensate, it would make it much easier to get around and safer. year Lionel Richie was there was truly scary, daughter had panic attack, was awful, only for the security staff who soon sorted out the idiots pushing past her i dread to think what would have happened, they got her out and off to medical. To many stupid youngsters who cant handle there drink causing a lot of problems. ok so im a oldie, who will probably get blasted for this, but Eavis needs to look at overcrowding. I have said i wont go back, but the other half is now talking about 2019, at he moment im sticking to my guns and dont want to bother, time will tell.

• Downvote 2

Some of the change overs too were a nightmare. Chic into Biffy, it was like the entire crowd changed over, same too for Craig D into RTJ. Think that could be handled better. Also as it's become more popular, more and more people who would never have considered it years ago now want to go, hence why shit singers like Craig David (I was at the Mandela bar from half way thru waiting for RTJ) can somehow just sing other people's songs and still pull a massive crowd

56 minutes ago, fingers_mark said:

Workers "EPO" (easy pass out) wristbands were orange and black.. These in theory should let workers get passed the queues at gates wete there are ticket checks.... In theory... As a lot of gate staff and security seemed to make different rules when it suited them.

Don't think it was any worse than previous years.always been crush spots,especially between the pyramid and other. Did notice a hell of a lot of people coming into gate C at the same time Saturday morning,there were massive queues trying to get in.anyone know the reason for this? 

Unfortunately there's not a whole lot GFL can do about unexpectedly huge crowds. They do their best to make sure there's something for everyone playing at the same time (as much as artist availability for that day will allow) and by the sounds of it this year specifically trying to reduce big crowds heading straight for each other to change stages.  

The problem is you can't plan for the music tastes of those lucky enough to get tickets, put the same festival on two weeks in a row with different ticket holders and the spread of the crowd would be different.