Will i get my stuff stolen at Bestival?

Jgeorgios

So i'm supposed to be going to Bestival this year but my friend just shared this with me: https://www.switchedoninsurance.com/blog/festival-thefts/

It seems like a lot of people get their stuff stolen. Apparently Bestival is known for pickpockets?

Does anyone know if they have lockers? And how much they are? I want to take come nice photo gear with me for my blog but don't want to risk it getting stolen.

I wouldn't pay much attention to people telling you that Bestival is known for pickpockets. I've never used a locker but I'm sure they are at all festivals. 

I'm sure things go missing at every festival, but most people are lucky enough to not have anything stolen. The usual advice is don't take anything you can't afford to lose. 

Things go missing at all festivals - normally just crates of beer or if you're silly enough to leave your phone, etc, in your tent. Just be sensible, leave a non-contactless card hidden somewhere in your tent in case your wallet gets nicked/lost, and don't bring anything valuable.

Just keep your wits about you, and don't let a blog post form an insurance company scare you. 

Total nonsense PR bollocks paid for by an insurance company.  Ignore.  No more likely to have stuff stolen at Bestival than anywhere else... I've gone basically every year, never been pick pocketed or known anyone who has, and only had one mate who had something stolen from their tent but they stupidly left their wallet on floor by door at night when wasted.

The simple solution is to not take your expensive camera stuff... Just go and enjoy yourself!

• 1 month later...
On 23/06/2017 at 4:30 PM, Jgeorgios said:

So i'm supposed to be going to Bestival this year but my friend just shared this with me: https://www.switchedoninsurance.com/blog/festival-thefts/

It seems like a lot of people get their stuff stolen. Apparently Bestival is known for pickpockets?

Does anyone know if they have lockers? And how much they are? I want to take come nice photo gear with me for my blog but don't want to risk it getting stolen.

I don't think there's any festival that's solely a hotspot for crime. It can happen anywhere, outside or inside a festival, at any time. Obviously you and your belongings are a lot more vulnerable in a festival situation but if you use your head you'll be okay. Be subtle about what you bring and where you keep it, and try not to bring anything super valuable if possible. I will say, though, last year the security were absolutely mental and 100% shady with how they were acting - there were so many complaints lodged against them I doubt they'd use them again. But I would say keep and eye out and report any security seeming a bit off

I've never had anything stolen at any festival, but Bestival is the only festival where someone slashed my tent to have a rummage round.  Mild inconvenience, keep your valuables on you or at home, use a zip up, over the shoulder bag (not a rucksack).  Bestival is no worse no better than anywhere else.