Gate A Status thread 2017

Franky

Question I should know by now: Is there a knack to getting into the yellow car parks, and not orange? I've had good experiences at Gate A before now, so I'm keen to work my way back there.... Obviously can walk between them! 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

I think Matt's on from lunchtime onwards. 

Where are you PGA folk planning to camp? There's a good argument for plonking the tent next to the gate but I think I'm going to make the journey to either Pennards or Kidney Mead. 

Pylon/Darble for  me. Early coach back means best to be near the gate. Camped there before and it is fine. Also not too far to carry the bag!

Edited by Hotchilidog

30 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

Pylon/Darble for  me. Early coach back means best to be near the gate. Camped there before and it is fine. Also not too far to carry the bag!

The trick is pack up early Sunday and leave your stuff in the lockup 

Works a charm 

5 minutes ago, MadScientist said:

I'll get there for 7:45... is it really that bad at PGA? I entered via PGB last year so dno. Hoping to get through in time to get on pennard

You should be fine, in my experience. Pennards is a large field. Further up you can go the better it is. 

Edited by kalifire

2 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

That is currently my plan. 4.30am bus home! May as well stay out!

Yep that's my plan too. May well use the lock ups as well, a good idea from someone on here :)

loving these 'on site' gate threads & hearing about the current shenanigans. Essential viewing....although my eta at gate A is not for another 38 hours! :lol:

Just now, kalifire said:

PGA is insane. They are already searching people but the queue stretches back for a very, very, very long way. It's going to take many hours to get through. If you can leave it until later, do so. 

That's a bugger for you

Shame as q at gate D seems very well organised 

10 hours ago, Amii said:

Question I should know by now: Is there a knack to getting into the yellow car parks, and not orange? I've had good experiences at Gate A before now, so I'm keen to work my way back there.... Obviously can walk between them! 

Well I've aimed for yellow last few years and for the most part we've been successful.

First tip.   You need to make sure you are approaching the site from the right direction if coming from london way like myself that meant a boomerang route some way away from the site to avoid the traffic measures to hit the site the right way and be on the right side of the road.

2ndly... when you approach the car parks you have to know where yellow  gates are and approach slowly....as it's easy to miss and you'll end up being filtered whereever they'd like.

This last tip is controversial.  When you appprach yellow you have to actually drive in...sounds simple...but there's so much going on that they are rarely filling yellow..but they won't stop you if you drive in slowly and safely.

This  is by no means guaranteed and sometimes you end up in Pink...52

If I'm honest with you though... yellow and therefore gate A is deceiving in terms of pace. Mainly  because  your have all the car demand plus buses / coaches etc...

10 hours ago, Amii said:

Yellow car park is just disabled parking, I believe...

The Manchester midnight coach was the first to arrive on site, closely followed by the first castle Cary bus. At the very front of the public transport queue now!!! (Crazy) Apologies to the train folk, us national express guys got a bit lost and ended up in your queue.

We're being held back but can go through what looks like the security tents soon. 

Edited by fowls

6 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

When you say the line at gate a is massive is that the line from the car parks or the line for people coming off a bus? Never had any trouble at gate a before it's always seemed a bit easier then the main gates people tend to go to like b and d. Hoping that's same this year.

The bus queue is very quiet. Maybe 200 here now? 5 coaches have just rocked up at the same time. Where we are we can't see the car queue at all.

Edited by fowls

8 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

But the queue at PGA is bad then? 

It was when I arrived but I don't know what it's like now. I was transferred to PGD on account of wanting to camp at Pennards end of site. 

Seems everyone has arrived early. I've never seen the queue so long this early. 

It looked like searches at PGA were quite thorough. 

4 minutes ago, fowls said:

The bus queue is very quiet. Maybe 200 here now? 5 coaches have just rocked up at the same time.

That's what I was hoping. One perk I've always liked when coming by bus is the line has never been v long or the wait.  So the fuckoff big line mentioned above is only for the carpark folk yes? Well until getting near ticket barrier anyway! 

4 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

That's what I was hoping. One perk I've always liked when coming by bus is the line has never been v long or the wait.  So the fuckoff big line mentioned above is only for the carpark folk yes? Well until getting near ticket barrier anyway! 

Yep, where we are held there are 8 white tents - security search tents maybe? Guessing we're waiting for security to show up. The staff seem pretty certain it's soon to move but haven't given a definite time.

The bus queue is growing really fast now. But only 200m long or so. A pretty constant flow of people arriving.

Edited by fowls