Brexit Schmexit

LJS

33 minutes ago, zahidf said:

As you say, its funny that brexitters are upset about it. If they genuinely think its humiliating im def up for rubbing it in

I’m guessing they will someday get over the fact that they will be printed off in France.

The fact they’ll have their precious blue passport will have made it all worthwhile.........

#proud

I’m guessing they will someday get over the fact that they will be printed off in France.

The fact they’ll have their precious blue passport will have made it all worthwhile.........

#proud

Just because you haven't got your own  :P

Edited by Ommadawn

29 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

#proud

Just because you haven't got your own  :P

Not at all :-)

I gather I’ll soon get a blue one. 

Who cares was more my point. I’m not suggesting you do but it appears to mean something to some folk.

10 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

but it appears to mean something to some folk.

he's pointing out that exactly the same "appears to mean something to some folk" applies in other places too. It's the same pointless self-serving in all places.

---

Anyway, with the UK recently approved for 'associate membership' by the EU, I reckon that's where we're heading. 

Aside from the hardest of brexits thru no deal, it's the only logical outcome from what's in the December agreement, where there's no border on the island of Ireland and where there's no border between NI and GB.

nice to know who your friends are, Trump promised he will make exemptions to ‘friends’ on his steel tariffs, Liam Fox didn't get an exemption after saying he thought he would on Question Time.

https://www.globaljustice.org.uk/news/2018/mar/16/liam-fox-humiliated-after-returning-empty-handed-us-tariff-talks

4 minutes ago, 5co77ie said:

nice to know who your friends are, Trump promised he will make exemptions to ‘friends’ on his steel tariffs, Liam Fox didn't get an exemption after saying he thought he would on Question Time.

https://www.globaljustice.org.uk/news/2018/mar/16/liam-fox-humiliated-after-returning-empty-handed-us-tariff-talks

From what I've read he can't. It's WTO rules that if no trade deal exists between countries then they have to be treated equally so a tariff on China also has to be placed on the EU as TTIP collapsed. Countries like Australia (AUSFTA) and Canada (NAFTA) can have exceptions as a trade deal exists.

The article isn't very clear on that and just says any trade deal will be costly. Officially though we shouldn't even be discussing any potential deal till we have left the EU.

7 minutes ago, lost said:

It's WTO rules that if no trade deal exists between countries then they have to be treated equally

Yup, that's my understanding too.

Tho I do think that - if it wanted to - the UK could play fast and loose with some WTO rules with little meaningful consequence for quite some amount of time to put the EU and Ireland into a spin in the event of a no-deal.

Cos I don't doubt that the EU would demand Ireland put up customs posts just about immediately we exited the EU, while the UK would be happy with EU rules controlling what came over its own border in Ireland.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

he's pointing out that exactly the same "appears to mean something to some folk" applies in other places too. It's the same pointless self-serving in all places.

Agreed. It was the lead story on the BBC radio news at 11.30am :lol: 

Imagine getting in a flap about the colour of your passport cover and where it`s made.

Couldn`t we have had a union jack cover ? 

Asking for a friend.

On 21/03/2018 at 6:54 AM, eFestivals said:

Sturgeon is perfectly allowed to complain about tory lies, but that's not what she's doing. 

Instead, she's taken up[ the brexiter lies as being reasonable and something that should be delivered.

Which is moronic for someone who campaigned as she did, and has said all she's said.

the current 'fishing' is a devolved matter.

The stuff that's with the EU currently has never been devolved to Scotland, nor was it ever intended to be (because no one actually considered the possibility of the UK leaving the EU).

Awkward facts I know for the little scotlanders, but true facts all the same.

Let's do facts then.

Technically, there are no specifically devolved matters in Scotland (unlike Wales)

The act does not specify which matters are devolved to the Scottish Parliament, rather it specifies those matters that are reserved to the UK Parliament. Those matters not reserved by the Scotland Act are devolved to the Scottish Parliament. 

Reserved matters include:

• the constitution
  • foreign affairs
  • defence
  • international development
  • the Civil Service
  • financial and economic matters
  • immigration and nationality
  • misuse of drugs
  • trade and industry
  • aspects of energy regulation (eg electricity, coal, oil and gas and nuclear energy)
  • aspects of transport (eg regulation of air services, rail and international shipping)
  • employment
  • social security
  • abortion, genetics, surrogacy, medicines
  • broadcasting
  • equal opportunities

Consequently devolved matters include:

• health and social work
  • education and training
  • local government and housing
  • justice and policing
  • agriculture, forestry and fisheries
  • the environment
  • tourism, sport and heritage
  • economic development and internal transport

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/devolution-settlement-scotland

so, as fisheries is not a reserved matter it is automatically a devolved matter.

its not complicated.

Hopefully this will prevent a recurrence of stories like this...

Scotland 'snubbed' in EU fishing talks

Sending a Conservative peer to represent Scottish fishermen at EU talks is a "slap in the face" for Scotland, the country's fisheries minister has said.

Richard Lochhead argued that he should have been allowed to stand in for UK Environment Secretary Liz Truss, who is unable to attend the meeting.

But the UK government has instead drafted in Lord de Mauley..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-29987193

11 hours ago, LJS said:

Those matters not reserved by the Scotland Act are devolved to the Scottish Parliament. 

which is actually bollocks (even tho you'd argue it till the cows come home, "because Scotland" :rolleyes:).

Because Scotland does not have current control of all fishing, does it?

Therefore "those matters" are NOT devolved to Scotland, else you'd have them already &/or you'd have total control of what the UK can say to the EU about them.

It's simply the fact that circumstances have fallen in such a way that the power-morons insist on getting what circumstances have made possible, when there was never any intention by anyone for the SG to wield the fishing powers currently held by the EU.

11 hours ago, LJS said:

its not complicated.

too complicated for you to admit the truth of the matter.

11 hours ago, LJS said:

Hopefully this will prevent a recurrence of stories like this...

Scotland 'snubbed' in EU fishing talks

Sending a Conservative peer to represent Scottish fishermen at EU talks is a "slap in the face" for Scotland, the country's fisheries minister has said.

Stories like only exist because people like you have pretended to have powers that you've never had.

If you want to bring losses on yourself via false facts I'll just laugh. :)

34 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

which is actually bollocks (even tho you'd argue it till the cows come home, "because Scotland" :rolleyes:).

Because Scotland does not have current control of all fishing, does it?

Therefore "those matters" are NOT devolved to Scotland, else you'd have them already &/or you'd have total control of what the UK can say to the EU about them.

It's simply the fact that circumstances have fallen in such a way that the power-morons insist on getting what circumstances have made possible, when there was never any intention by anyone for the SG to wield the fishing powers currently held by the EU.

Thanks for your opinion. I'll stick with the ukgov link I posted.

The principle behind Scottish devolution is that anything not reserved to Westminster is devolved. Fishing is not reserved to Westminster.

Thank you.

Have a nice day.

5 hours ago, feral chile said:

They're denying they actually hired them now.

one via a canadian company, according to today's observer (which makes their denial of hiring them true, tho disingenuous).

looks like we're going to get decent proof that spending limits were broken by the Vote Leave campaign.

What will be interesting is what response there will be to that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 04 May 2018 at 12:13 PM, russycarps said:

Brexit thread off the front page!

Even people who are have an interest in politics and current affairs have lost interest.

Apathy all round.

Everything's in the politicians and diplomats hands and we just have to wait and see what kind of a fudge they make of everything. It's not as if us venting on here or shouting in the streets is likely to sway anything. Is it?

Cue vent and shout.

Personally, given my location, I'm bricking it that they may make such a fuck up of things that the roads around here will become a permanent truck park. They semi are already.

If you are of the opinion that British border controls are undermanned (Sun/DM reader?), you should see the equivalent French staffing. And this is pre Brexit. They can already make Operation Stack come into play if a couple of them are sick for a shift.

If they (The French/Europe) suddenly decide they want to, Operation Stack may become a permanant fixture.

Which is frightening, given that about 25% of our supermarkets (plus other industries) rely on the "just in time" model of goods delivery. Also known as "use the roads as storage place because it's cheaper than having a depot".

Bit of a local, drunken rant and it's nothing compared the Irish border question apparently.

7 hours ago, MrZigster said:

or shouting in the streets is likely to sway anything. Is it?

worked for the poll tax. ;)

7 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Operation Stack may become a permanant fixture.

saw a load of truckers asked what they thought on TV the other day, and every one of them said brexit wouldn't make a difference.

I can only guess they're employed drivers (rather than self-employed) who prefer paid-forced-stops rather than the unpaid tachograph-enforced stops. Or just stupid.