On site observations

Matt42

6 hours ago, K2SO said:

Everywhere has seemed rammed! Even areas that are normally a bit more chill like BBC Introducing have been swamped! Not really looking forward fighting to Foos tomorrow after Stormzy.

I am enjoying myself, but genuinely considering making this my final year. I feel like something has changed with the atmosphere and culture of the festival, which I'm not too mad about. Seems like a lot more of the V Festival-types, deckchair dickheads and general knobheads about. It also seems to me that a lot of independent food vendors have been axed in favour of larger companies.

Re the vendors, I've heard some of the smaller ones went bust following last year, sinking huge money (10/15k ?) to get a pitch here but then nobody was buying anything. And the people like Yeo pullled out rather than not being invited. Not sure how true that is, given growler-guy seemed to want to be here and isn't 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, K2SO said:

Anyone else think it seems to be WAY too busy this year. Just had crowd surges in Shangri La for Kurupt FM and people getting crushed

Not actually there this year but wonder if this is a weather thing - the years I've been it's always been significantly more damp and maybe that have driven people to have more breaks in their tents/less options to sit on the grass all day. SE corners been a bit dodgy on the numbers for years now though. 

Meh, probably all nonsense and I'm just jealous I'm not there and slightly miffed the weather is half decent to boot! :) 

Edited by BrokenDown

7 hours ago, K2SO said:

Anyone else think it seems to be WAY too busy this year. Just had crowd surges in Shangri La for Kurupt FM and people getting crushed

Yeah I've definitely noticed that it feels far busier than usual

one particularly astute comment on acid Thursday: "Has Glastonbury always had this many people?" 

Wandered past Craig Charles show in Shangri La, crowds created an almost impenetrable barrier for anyone trying to pass through, and that was early afternoon. Luckily there's always space and room to chill in Greenfields etc. But it does feel very busy very early now. 

Crowd coming out of Arcadia after the show at 12.30am was really bad. Took about half an hour to walk a hundred yards then no chance of getting down the road back to Other Stage. It seemed like many people trying to get in going against the crowd coming from headliner stages. No organisation at all. Could have been a real issue if people had fallen. 

Security need to learn crowd control. Big crush last night on the railway track as an ambulance was trying to get alone the railway track. End result you had everyone going in different directions crushed up and shoving at the same time people shoving off to the side to let the ambulance through it could have turned nasty. I felt v uncomfortable till it passed def a dangerous one. Thing is why didn't security just block the road in one direction till the ambulance had passed? Letting only people going one way through till it had passed to avoid the crush. Simple thing to do but they didn't seem in control at all.

11 hours ago, K2SO said:

Why would the put Kurupt on a tiny stage like that anyway. They're far too popular. Instead of this and their Stonebridge set they should have Main/other stage. 

1 hour ago, windy_miller said:

So what exactly had changed around Saxon Market?  I didn't notice any difference at all :unsure:

This annoyed me a lot.  I was a big fan of the Meal Machine as a hang over cure and a big heavy meal before my Sunday night shift and it was replaced by a metal fence, some benches and a few bits from Oxfam.  

Really pissed me off.

Felt like there were about 30-50k more people than last couple of years. The crush on the railway track upto Arcadia after Radiohead was unreal. Getting out of there was a nightmare. Nothing like Previous years. Also Seemed to take longer to walk between stages despite the dry weather. 

Definitely felt like there was a lot more people than usual around - the two tents next to me had five people without wristbands in.

Looks like a lot of Twix'ing took place or someone made a lot of cash smuggling a lot of people onto site.

I suspect the lack of mud also meant the lightweights that leave early stayed the entire weekend.

Sunday was ridiculous - the crowd for Ed was so big it blocked all the walkways through the tents (wasn't helped by the fact that BBK had a minute crowd at the other stage).

34 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

Felt like there were about 30-50k more people than last couple of years. The crush on the railway track upto Arcadia after Radiohead was unreal. Getting out of there was a nightmare. Nothing like Previous years. Also Seemed to take longer to walk between stages despite the dry weather. 

I found the walk between stages to be incredibly quick at times - the trouble is most people are sheep and all go in the same direction instead of going a slightly different route.

We left the Other stage after Rag n Bone man, cut through the gully and wandered toward the Pyramid with plenty of time to spare for Barry Gibb, expected it to take much longer. Most people shuffled in the same direction past the Solstice Bar and it was crawling