dreadwing

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Richi1988 said:

For the sake of my sanity, once you have all the facts and the full concluding story can you make sure you give a full debrief on here please.

Hi,

So the holiday was approved months ago just after we had paid of our deposits. she was then told last Tuesday that the holiday maybe canceled as she will be needed, No reason was given for this other than a busy period. Perhaps she did tell me this and i didn't listen (i cannot remember) or she was hoping they would come round and say that the holiday would still stand and it was fine to have the full amount off.

Today I got an email from her to say that the whole request had been canceled, but will be coming on the Friday after work and leaving Sunday night to get back for Monday. she has since compromised with her boss and has been given the Friday and Monday off so is now free to come down on the Thursday afternoon with another friend who is also coming on the train.

This morning she was angry at me for trying to help. I think she was annoyed at the situation and had no one else to take it out on. However we have patched things up and She doesn't seem to bothered about missing a day and half of the festival as the music, doesn't really start until Friday. 

I will be travelling down tomorrow night with my mates and setting up camp.

It could be worse and i'm still angry about the way it was dealt with, but nothing can be done now.

4 minutes ago, dreadwing said:

Hi,

So the holiday was approved months ago just after we had paid of our deposits. she was then told last Tuesday that the holiday maybe canceled as she will be needed, No reason was given for this other than a busy period. Perhaps she did tell me this and i didn't listen (i cannot remember) or she was hoping they would come round and say that the holiday would still stand and it was fine to have the full amount off.

Today I got an email from her to say that the whole request had been canceled, but will be coming on the Friday after work and leaving Sunday night to get back for Monday. she has since compromised with her boss and has been given the Friday and Monday off so is now free to come down on the Thursday afternoon with another friend who is also coming on the train.

This morning she was angry at me for trying to help. I think she was annoyed at the situation and had no one else to take it out on. However we have patched things up and She doesn't seem to bothered about missing a day and half of the festival as the music, doesn't really start until Friday. 

It could be worse and i'm still angry about the way it was dealt with, but nothing can be done now.

I'm happy for you, I really am. I'm glad it's sorted.

Now... can we have a juicier version? Properly go to town on it. I don't know about the others but the above is deeply anticlimactic. 

5 minutes ago, popcornmaster said:

I'm happy for you, I really am. I'm glad it's sorted.

Now... can we have a juicier version? Properly go to town on it. I don't know about the others but the above is deeply anticlimactic. 

How about this morning i wanted to drive to her office and slash her bosses throat. Now I just hate her. Everything else is fine.

4 hours ago, russycarps said:

why would she not tell you the reason?

why would a company cancel a holiday request out of jealousy?

what sort of a professional organisation would behave like this? Does the place even have an HR department and policies in place? This sounds like an absolutely farcical situation, and one I am finding quite hard to believe.

I'm guessing you've never worked in a dodgy workplace where the bosses abuse their staff then. Shit like this can and does happen (increasingly so thanks to the tories and declining working conditions).

If this is something you can't believe perhaps it's time to step out of your own personal bubble and acknowledge the realities people live with across the country instead of accusing working people of being liars. 

6 minutes ago, MadScientist said:

I'm guessing you've never worked in a dodgy workplace where the bosses abuse their staff then. Shit like this can and does happen (increasingly so thanks to the tories and declining working conditions).

If this is something you can't believe perhaps it's time to step out of your own personal bubble and acknowledge the realities people live with across the country instead of accusing working people of being liars. 

I'm well aware of it, but this story is clearly made up.

30 minutes ago, dreadwing said:

Hi,

Surely that still isn't right. 

If the request was put in and approved just after the deposits were paid, October? November at a push? 

Was the request made via email?

To have the full allocation cancelled in June, or any at all is surely not legal?

Kick up a f**king fuss man.

20 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I'm well aware of it, but this story is clearly made up.

If I wanted to make up a story I'd of gone with Dave grohl breaking his leg again or I'm on site and security are emptying bags and checking everything and it will take 5 hours to get in

Edited by dreadwing

I'd guess an employer could put you under pretty extreme pressure to change your already approved holiday leave but I'd be surprised if they can legally just change it at short notice.  I'd have been on to some rights advice place rather than mithering my fella about it.  Unless, of course, she caved to the pressure and missed out that part when recounting it to you cos then you'd be mad.

Lucky her, not having to queue in the heat with all the gear.  Isn't it handy her mate is getting the train the next day too!  They can have a drink and relax.

Have fun with all the kit. :P

For what its worth I believe dreadwing. There are some real w*nkers out there badly exploiting their employees who often don't have a trade union to turn to. Calling both him and his girlfriend liars because this wouldn't happen to some of you is pretty shitty. My Mrs can nurse a bit of bad news for days before setting it loose on the people who love her. That's how it works, y'know? People are different.

I also think dreadwing's girlfriend's absence from Glastonbury until Friday could be a cover story for the terrorist atrocity she has planned for Thursday.

6 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Don't believe it is legal.

An employer can cancel an employee's period of annual leave if it gives the required notice. Under reg.15 of the Working Time Regulations 1998. An employer can require an employee not to take annual leave on particular days by giving the employee notice of at least the same length as the period of leave to be cancelled.

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights/booking-time-off

This... 

I used to work in employment law and that's my understanding 

hello.  Please tell your girlfriend "Do not hand her notice in".  That is the last thing she should do. Absolutely not.  Tell her to phone ACAS.  As an employee you are legally entitled to holiday, it already belongs to you.  If you hand in your notice in situations like this, the employer gets away with being a bully.  If you take some legal advice, then you can agree a compromise agreement.  

Either way she needs to find someone else to work, but she needs to think about planning her exit.  Handing in your notice means nothing to an employer, getting them to put their hand in their pockets does.      

Something similar happened to a friend of mine last year - a group of us were supposed to be going on holiday to Thailand, and a month beforehand her boss asked if she could rearrange the holiday as someone else had unexpectedly handed in their notice, and they'd be short staffed for a month. This was months after we'd booked all the flights and hotels, and she'd had the time off approved. Her boss said he'd cover the cost of rebooking everything and although he didn't say she was absolutely required to cancel it, he put enough pressure on her to make her feel like she had no choice. I think she could've done more to stand up for herself (and I certainly would've put my foot down in that situation!) but I guess the dynamic in the company can come into play. Certainly for my friend, it's a small business she works for - how big is the company your girlfriend works for?

The thing people have to remember here is that not everyone is brave enough to stand up to their employer... I have a friend who works in a pub and regularly has to do the Saturday night shift until 3am and then the Sunday day shift starting at 9am. My friend often complains about it, but despite me (and others) pointing out several times that it's absolutely 100% illegal to make someone work two shifts with only 6 hours between, my friend does not have the confidence to raise it with the landlord. 

That being said, if I was the OPs girlfriend I would have flat refused to cancel my leave. Unless it's literally a case of life or death I really can't see any reason for employers to have to do that to their employees.

SHES COMING TONIGHT!!!

Myself and her mum basically told her to tell her boss to do one.

She told her boss that she has had the time booked off for well over half a year so they will just have to make do without her.

She also played the guilt trip and said that if she didn't go tonight, she would not be able to get there as the only money she has is Glastonbury spending money and she is not spending that on a train ticket.

Apparently she grew some balls over night and stuck up for self. 

Absolute result. See you tomorrow morning!

2 minutes ago, dreadwing said:

SHES COMING TONIGHT!!!

She told her boss that she has had the time booked off for well over half a year so they will just have to make do without her.

She also played the guilt trip and said that if she didn't go tonight, she would not be able to get there as the only money she has is Glastonbury spending money and she is not spending that on a train ticket.

Good news. Try and put it all behind you and concentrate on enjoying the weekend. :)

3 minutes ago, dreadwing said:

SHES COMING TONIGHT!!!

Fair play 

really glad it's all resolved for you 

22 minutes ago, dreadwing said:

SHES COMING TONIGHT!!!

Hope you get your end away fella.